Menu

Teaching boys to pee in the potty?

Sit then stand, or stand from the start?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Sit then stand, or stand from the start?

• Sitting first, then standing later
    • Stand from the start
    • Other?

I teach sitting first. I have one that still sits and one that switched to standing because that's how Dad goes. I wish he sat, too. It's so much cleaner!

Oh, and both stand when using public restrooms. FYI. :)

I taught them to sit.

But then my Dad worked hard at teaching them to stand so they could pee on trees outside. :glare:

I wish they would sit like Daddy. But no such luck thanks to my Dad. :glare:

We had to do the sitting thing first. They just weren't tall enough to get over the edge of all the toilets, lol. Also - we learned that it was dangerous for our kids, lol. One of them tried to steady himself by grabbing a hold of the lid and ended up smashing it down on his poor little.... well - you know. :eek:

I have potty trained a LOT of little boys. The setting has made a difference. Also, different kiddos need different things. I have trained more standing up than sitting down; but my most recent boy (my now 4yo) was taught sitting and still sits 99% of the time. Of course, he's the only one that I taught using a potty chair more than one day also (actually, only two others have used a potty chair. One didn't use it for potty training and the other only used it one day). Again, different strokes for different folks.

My oldest son had two sisters ( 8 & 13) who helped potty train him. Sitting down was all we knew, so that was what we did with him.

Later on his father thought he should learn to pee standing up, so showed him how. The next day DS#1 showed DS#2 what their father had shown him how to do. However, DS#2 was in his crib at the time. :glare:

I couldn't get either one of my boys to pee in the potty until I let them do it standing up. I pushed and bribed and rewarded with my oldest. He refused until he discovered that he could do it standing up. My youngest just kinda learned from his big brother. I never taught him how to pee, he saw my oldest once and copied.

Pee stinks. If you happen to have heaters or rugs where they pee, you have to live with the smell. I remember that from my aunt's home. She had 3 boys. Her bathroom was always clean, but the smell was rest-stop quality. She knew/hated it. When the last of the boys left, she ripped up the bathroom floor and replaced all of it.

Pee stinks. If you happen to have heaters or rugs where they pee, you have to live with the smell. I remember that from my aunt's home. She had 3 boys. Her bathroom was always clean, but the smell was rest-stop quality. She knew/hated it. When the last of the boys left, she ripped up the bathroom floor and replaced all of it.

When the boys were little I threw cheerios in for them to aim at. This past year my oldest was getting careless about aiming so I made him clean the bathroom once. I haven't had the problem since. I am lucky enough to have tile in my bathrooms though.

I taught mine to stand. There is just something in the male DNA that makes them want to aim at something while peeing. Actually, we put him outside naked and told him to pee on something. It may sound barbaric, but I was just so tired of him peeing on the rug.

My potty-training tiny tike of a 2 year old has been going on his tiptoes to stand to pee this week (after sitting to pee all summer). I didn't teach him but he's got daddy and 2 older brothers to watch and imitate.

Switching from sitting to standing hasn't been a big deal for any of my boys -- they just did it on their own. Like someone above mentioned, my todder usually sits backwards on the toilet.

We use the same philosophy for potty training boys as SWB does for teaching writing. :lol: Learn each part separately, then put them all together when ready.

So our boys first started out on a squatting potty (because the big potty was too scary), so sitting. Then on the big potty, backwards so they feel steady. Then, they go potty standing up outside where it's fun to pee on a tree. And then finally they want to stand in the bathroom too. In my experience, when they feel comfortable, they make the next step on their own. But if I try to force getting on the big potty too soon or standing up too soon, it makes them nervous and inhibits them. I do the same with underwear/pullups. We start with underwear during the day and pullups for nights/traveling. But as soon as they want to wear underwear at night instead, I let them and it has worked out well. The one boy that I was too scared to let wear underwear instead of pullups ended up wearing them for much longer than I had hoped he would. So I learned my lesson to follow their cues.

Standing. Sitting never occurred to me?? It might not even be healthy, does everything get fully cleaned out of the male anatomy while sitting? Never mind, I don't want to know.

We did recently have a discussion about sitting when you are too tired to aim because in our RV, we share a bathroom (with a smaller toilet bowl) and somebody was missing in the middle of the night or early morning. I was completely irritated about it, though I doubt the perpetrator was even fully awake. No one ever admitted to being the culprit, but the problem stopped.

Since age 8, each of my boys has been in charge of cleaning a bathroom, and they also clean the RV bathroom at the end of every trip. They have a vested interest in developing accurate aim.

I find it difficult to believe that a male over the age of 8 can't be expected to put his urine inside the toilet... if not, I would consider him unsuitable for indoor plumbing and thus banned from the bathroom. Getting to the point of a permanent odor or needing to replace flooring... that's just unimaginable to me.

I teach sitting first. I have one that still sits and one that switched to standing because that's how Dad goes. I wish he sat, too. It's so much cleaner!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Hubby was taught by his mom to sit during potty training. As a result, we did the same for ds. I have to admit I have never had a problem with "accidents" or urine on the floor.

I have officially trained 3 boys to use the potty! :party:

We start by peeing sitting down with a pee guard. Then we move to aiming without the pee guard so they can practice aiming. Finally we go to standing and "peeing like Daddy."

My youngest (3) just finally potty trained over the summer! We were so excited and now, he almost exclusively stands to pee with the exception of when he is super tired in the morning and too lazy to aim. :lol:

Our big "alternate" to teach has been using a western-style toilet vs a squat toilet.

I continue to think squat toilets are the best for toilet training. No worries about size or aiming. I feel like I should sing a squat toilet song!

I never understand why these threads get so controversial. What's next, bathing vs. showering? Boxers vs. briefs? Underwire vs. camisole? I say, close the bathroom door on other people's houses!

Sit because there was no way to teach them to stand if they can't reach the potty standing.

I never taught them to stand though. How could I? I don't know how to stand and pee. KWIM? They figured that out on their own.

My 4yo daughter can pee standing up. I'm not sure how she figured it out since I've never tried, but I'm guessing it has something to do with her two older brothers. :001_rolleyes:

My 10yo daughter has her own outdoor peeing method. Once again, not a method that I've tried.

All my kids pee outside. They are farm kids.

Standing.

They used a stool as needed to reach, for however long. And as icky as that first "oops, I also needed to poop..." was for those of mine who did that, I think it actually helped them to identify the 2 different feelings/body signals and beyond one time, none of them ever had that particular kind of accident again (going #2 while standing for #1).

Nor did we ever have aim issues; standing, facing the potty, hit the center of the bowl....no problem. Much easier to aim when one can see the target, IMO.

We teach sitting only. Dh's dad taught them to sit only, because honestly, even if you have good aim you will have splashes. Yuck. I grew up with three brothers and it was gross...and they were all older.

WHY do men need to stand when using a regular toilet? Is it a "manly" thing? But who is watching you pee anyway? If I had a urinal in my house, that'd be different. I have been to many otherwise clean homes where the bathroom reeked of urine.

I have girls, but friends with boys have taught them to aim better by putting a few Cheerios in the toilet and telling the boys to "sink the Cheerios."

And then kids are supposed to ever want to eat cheerios again? Yuck. Waste of food. Not that cheerios are much of a food.

I taught him to sit first. However, one day I walked in on him standing and peeing and he looked at me and said "I pee like Daddy!" He was so proud of himself. He made SUCH a mess for a while :glare:, but he absolutely would not sit after he discovered he could stand.

:iagree:

Once he saw dh stand, he started doing it himself. Now he goes back and forth between the two options.