Menu

Throwing "dry flat" sweaters in the dryer?...

Raini

Ds just brought home some sweaters that say to dry flat. LOL! That's not gonna happen.

They are cotton/polyester- one is all cotton, and they were pretty cheap.

What will happen if they are thrown into the dryer with all his other clothes?

:D

Well I would assume tat they say that because they shouldn't go in the dryer? I don't get the big deal you can't lay them out or hang them over a shower curtain?

Well, I don't do his laundry, he's commuting to college and barely home, and he's a grab and go guy. I'm hoping someone here knows if it will destroy them, or if they will probably be OK. Then he can decide if he wants to deal with them or return them for easier care items.

Ds just brought home some sweaters that say to dry flat. LOL! That's not gonna happen.

After he machine dries them, he'll have a great collection of miniature dog sweaters. Seriously, take them back if he can't/won't air dry.

Well, I don't do his laundry, he's commuting to college and barely home, and he's a grab and go guy. I'm hoping someone here knows if it will destroy them, or if they will probably be OK. Then he can decide if he wants to deal with them or return them for easier care items.

I would guess they would be ruined then so he may wanna take them back

I think a poly-cotton blend says "dry flat" because, if you hang them they will grow exponentially in length. Cotton is just like that. It doesn't shrink like wool, though.

I have a number of cotton sweaters that I have had for decades that go into the dryer with regular clothes. But I'm just a kamikaze launderer like that. :lol: I put cashmere in the washer with the rest of my wool. :D

I'll let him know and let him decide.

So what is the difference between sweaters that can go in the dryer and those that can't? I have two sweaters that are tumble dry.

Hmmm. Unless it's marked "superwash", animal fibers (wool, alpaca, etc) will felt. It's not the heat, it's the temperature change and friction. I often dry them in a rack in the dryer, on medium or low heat.

Generally, plant fibers (cotton, linen, hemp, tencel) are dry-able. Rayon is, frankly, iffy in water, it's also iffy in the dryer.

I wash and dry silk with impunity.

Or they could stretch out and go baggy. I have a drying rack for wool socks and other things that don't go in the dryer. The clothes hang down a bit rather than drying completely flat, but it works fine.

Laura

After he machine dries them, he'll have a great collection of miniature dog sweaters. Seriously, take them back if he can't/won't air dry.

I agree. Those sweaters are cheap because they're cheap, i.e. they won't hold up to drying, and probably have to be washed in cold separately, too, or they'll shrink enough to fit a toddler.