Menu

My DD15 lost her vision and then passed out

Shellers

Did they rule out a seizure? My boys both have a history of epilepsy and there have been times where they have just went limp like that when having an absence seizure. I'm sorry this happened. I know all too well how scary it can be not to know what's going on.

Edited by twinmami01

It kind of sounds like a seizure to me too. I am sure it just scared you to bits. A few months ago my daughter had a focal seizure and I was terrified. We never found out what caused it. I hope that you are able to pin it down and that it doesn't happen again.:grouphug:

It sounds similar to the one time off seizure my dad had. The paramedics and hospital couldn't figure out the cause.

My mum has vertigo and the symptoms are different. I get dizzy spells from anemia and low blood pressure, and the symptoms are different.

In the meantime, it would be a good idea for your daughter to have a buddy if she is running errands and not lock the bathroom door just in case she feels faint (its possible to yell but not be able to move to unlock the door).

Hope the doctors find out the cause. Lucille Packard (Stanford) does have a good reputation.

Hi, I know I don't post very often, but I wanted to tell you that my 21year old daughter has episodes like this occasionally during her monthly period. It happens only every so often, and when it happens it comes on very suddenly.

One thing that stands out to me is the mention of possible warm water from a plastic bottle. (Don't know if it was plastic). Anyhow. She may have been reacting to the toxins from the plastic leeching into the water if it had been in the sunlight.

Did they rule out a seizure? My boys both have a history of epilepsy and there have been times where they have just went limp like that when having an absence seizure. I'm sorry this happened. I know all too well how scary it can be not to know what's going on.

It kind of sounds like a seizure to me too. I am sure it just scared you to bits. A few months ago my daughter had a focal seizure and I was terrified. We never found out what caused it. I hope that you are able to pin it down and that it doesn't happen again.:grouphug:

I was thinking seizure as well. I know loss of vision can occur, and can last a bit afterwards. Heck, my border collie had seizures from head trauma as a puppy, and was blind from them for hours after each one.

Thanks for your replies! I was wondering if it could have been a seizure.

When a person has a seizure, does it take awhile for them to recover? It took her a good 20 minutes to come back.

Edited by Shellers

It can be many things. Low blood sugar and low blood pressure and heart issues are common reasons for fainting, as well as seizures.

Heart stuff I recover from much quicker than seizures. Once the blood is flowing to my brain it works pretty well. The electrical activity of a seizure short circuits me for awhile. My language is affected for hours and I have loss of context even longer. My brain remains fragmented with poor ability to multitask. I become very literal.

For low blood pressure, Just laying down (or falling down) so that my head is level with my feet, brings me back.

Low blood sugar and dehydration, I need to eat and drink.

Oh, yeh, and then we have the vertigo, inner ear stuff. That doesn't result in loss of consciousness, though, just collapse and feeling like the world is spinning.

I've done a LOT of collapsing over the years. :tongue_smilie:

When I was a kid this often happened to me if I got overheated. It could be during a hot summer day, or bundled up with winter clothes and then entering a warm house. My eyes would be completely open but I was totally blind and then I'd pass out. But, it didn't take 20 minutes to come back around. I've always had low blood pressure. I must have outgrown this because it hasn't happened in years. I hope you find out what caused it. :grouphug:

Guest KillerBeesMom

Our 2 year old has syncope (fainting spells). It's scary as heck to watch but we've been assured he's okay. It does usually take him a solid 15-20 minutes to really come back around even though he's only passed out for seconds. We've been told he should outgrow it by the time he's 5 but is more likely to have it start up again when he's a teenager.

I hope it's something "simple" like the above, rather than a seizure.