Menu

s/o science - what science programs do you recommend?

PeacefulChaos

Edited: I'm looking into some other science curricula now and need some input on them. Chemistry in particular, BUT any input on the way they are structured, etc, would be helpful. :)

NOEO

RSO

ES

Thanks!

Original:

We'll be doing chemistry next year.

I had expected to get RS4K, but now I'm reading in the other thread that it is too light.

We are doing Apologia this year and I do.not.like.it.at.all!! So that's out of the question.

I don't want to have to work my backside off to do science. I want to just be able to do it, kwim? Like with Apologia, I could buy the kit that had everything in it for the experiments and stuff. I don't want to be searching everywhere for experiments, looking all over to find the stuff I NEED for experiments, etc, etc.

I'm kind of disappointed to hear that RS4K may not be what I was hoping for. :( So what would you suggest? (YEC friendly, please. :) )

Edited by PeacefulChaos

Ellen McHenry - The Elements, followed by Carbon Chemistry. THere is also a jr. high chemistry program (free) put out by the American Association of Chemistry - you can google it. I've not used it yet, but others have raved.

Though I thought RS4K was a nice intro for my 3rd/4th grader. It might be great for your kids! Just not a whole chemistry class for a middle school student.

I love apologia, ...but it's really hard to GET to it. It's just so wordy and doing it together is difficult.

It definitely has created a wonderful love and interest in birds, and a gratefulness to God for creating birds.

We do not do most of the experiments and I still find it very much worthwhile. We use the notebook.

So if it's the difficulty doing the experiments that bothers you, maybe you can skip them?

I love apologia, ...but it's really hard to GET to it. It's just so wordy and doing it together is difficult.

It definitely has created a wonderful love and interest in birds, and a gratefulness to God for creating birds.

We do not do most of the experiments and I still find it very much worthwhile. We use the notebook.

So if it's the difficulty doing the experiments that bothers you, maybe you can skip them?

No, the experiments are cake. I bought the kit from RR that had everything in it, so it's grab and go - labeled for each lesson and everything.

I despise the notebooks. They are full of busywork, IMO. I don't even get them out anymore. My kids aren't busywork fans, and I felt like we were wasting time.

I also strongly dislike the text. I don't need to hear repeatedly about how awesome God is in our science text. I don't need a whole section dedicated to how 'God is brighter than the sun' :glare: I want science, YEC friendly, without all the flowery religion thrown in. :)

Apologia was a bust for us too simply because it is too dry. We did not even get into the 2nd chapter of Zoology 1...zzzzzz...

After searching the science threads here on the Hive I researched my options and decided to take a chance on Noeo. I ordered the entire Biology 1 kit last night and I hope to be able to start it next week.

My decision was based on good reviews and the reasonable price. If I had lots of money :001_smile: I May have spent more time researching Supercharged Science (looks haphazard at first glance) and/or the Magic School Bus kits. I discounted Elemental Science because it also seemed too dry with lots of writing/busywork.

I believe that Noeo science takes a scientific POV. The authors are Christians, though...it's all on their website.

Anyway, I will post our thoughts on the program once we get going.

Good Luck!

I didn't care for RS4K (Chem). Maybe I did it wrong or didn't understand or....It just didn't resonate with me.

I *do* like Elemental Science. A LOT. You can see a sample of each level/subject on their website and get a good feel for it.

It is easy to implement, easily adaptable level-wise, as project-y or not as you'd like.

Ellen McHenry - The Elements, followed by Carbon Chemistry. THere is also a jr. high chemistry program (free) put out by the American Association of Chemistry - you can google it. I've not used it yet, but others have raved.

Though I thought RS4K was a nice intro for my 3rd/4th grader. It might be great for your kids! Just not a whole chemistry class for a middle school student.

:iagree:For my 3rd grader, we are currently using The Elements and Carbon Chemistry for knowledge and RS4K for labs (not sure of the level because I hear the levels have changed, this one has a iodine and starch experiment, cabbage litmus paper pH lab, forming molecules with marshmallows, and others). The Elements has very few labs which is why I supplement with RS4K. I like the way the labs are written up in RS4K; I'm pretty particular and they are reasonably good (the author is a chemist). RS4K will only take us about 8 weeks of 2 hours/week. We don't bother with the vocab, and I agree with others that the font is terrible. I am not sure, however, that it is worth the $$. When I bought it years ago, there were not a lot of other chemistry programs for elementary out there. I do not like her biology or physics, so don't buy it bundled.

I am also currently reading out loud The Mystery of the Periodic Table by Wilker which is a history of chemistry book.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

• 1 month later...

:iagree:I've not seen the program by the American Association of Chemistry, but other than that I second what was said by the pp.

We're really enjoying Mr. Q so I plan on getting Chemistry for DS and Advanced Chemistry for DD. The first time through the cycle, DD did Ellen McHenry's The Elements and Carbon Chemistry so I'm hoping she'll be able to handle the Mr. Q Advanced Chem. If not, I can always save it for later. DS I think will be ready for The Elements but probably not Carbon Chemistry.

John Hudson Tiner's Exploring the World of Chemistry is a great supplemental read to whatever "spine" you decide to pick.

Evan-Moor Daily Science is like a workbook version of BFSU. It doesn't have separate strands of science as suggested in TWTM, but it is a very orderly and logical plan based on the "big ideas" of science. All vocabulary is explicitly taught, which I believe to be critical. As a spine, I'm very impressed with it.

I'm just throwing it out there, because it's so easy to underestimate. As a spine, it's not at all cheesy, but rock solid. I've found it effortless and fun to supplement it with free library resources. I seldom give the student the workbook but just use it as a TM. Obviously, it's perfectly usable as a workbook though.