Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mynyel

Is it worth getting a tablet if you don't have wifi?

We don't have wireless everything is hardwired. So is it worth getting a tablet? I have been waffling getting one for dd for Christmas.

:bigear:

Probably not. An e-reader, perhaps, but most of what a tablet would be used for is off Wi-fi. Also - my tablet doesn't even have a way to be plugged into a computer for downloads. It all has to be done "over the air" so to speak.

If you get one where you can easily transfer files from an internet-connected computer and/or can access the internet (whether via wifi somewhere else or hardwired) on occasion, maybe.

My tablet (Asus Transformer) has an SDcard, so getting ebooks, movies, and documents onto it isn't that hard. If you can use WiFi at a coffee shop or friend's house to install apps that aren't internet dependent, it could work out well.

But really, I guess it depends what you intend it to be used for.

To me, no unless you were going to get the 4G and pay the monthly. Although I have to say my husband pays for coverage when we travel and it is MUCH slower than the wireless connection we get most places, so I'm not sure I'd do it with just 4G either. (I'd definitely go for the router!)

No. But why not get a wireless router?

Dh doesn't like the fact that we all get barraged with the wireless frequencies so we have turned off the wireless. He gets irritated when I want to print because we have to turn it on to print since the printer in wireless and I refuse to buy a printer cable when it works just fine without one.

So we pretty much don't have wireless but a tablet is the only thing dd14 has asked for.

Might just have to go back to the drawing board to find a gift. Bleh.

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE A COUPON FOR
10% OFF
We respect your privacy.You’ll hear about new products, special discounts & sales, and homeschooling tips. *Coupon only valid for first-time registrants. Coupon cannot be combined with any other offer. Entering your email address makes you eligible to receive future promotional emails.
0 Shares
Tweet
Pin