Menu

And the winner of the obscure country contest is . . .

I know and work with many, many Bhutanese--both as clients and colleagues. I don't know if your son has discovered this, but 22 years ago, a certain tribe of Bhutanese, the Lhotshampa, were forced out of the country by the King in an "ethnic cleansing." These people lived in 7 refugee camps in Nepal for 22 years. Adults lost their productive years, and children grew up to adulthood in the camps. Several years ago, the United Nations High Commission On Refugees determined that repatriation was impossible, and began 3rd country resettlement of 100,000 Bhutanese refugees. The United States is taking many of them, and the camps will be emptied by 2015.

Here's a link to a video from the Cultural Orientation Resource Center about Bhutanese refugees.

Here's an article from 2007 that explains the situation: Himal Southasian article

Here's a 2011 update, also from Himal Southasian.

I feel like I would dishonor my friends if I didn't use this opportunity to share their story.

I know and work with many, many Bhutanese--both as clients and colleagues. I don't know if your son has discovered this, but 22 years ago, a certain tribe of Bhutanese, the Lhotshampa, were forced out of the country by the King in an "ethnic cleansing." These people lived in 7 refugee camps in Nepal for 22 years. Adults lost their productive years, and children grew up to adulthood in the camps. Several years ago, the United Nations High Commission On Refugees determined that repatriation was impossible, and began 3rd country resettlement of 100,000 Bhutanese refugees. The United States is taking many of them, and the camps will be emptied by 2015.

Here's a link to a video from the Cultural Orientation Resource Center about Bhutanese refugees.

Here's an article from 2007 that explains the situation: Himal Southasian article

I feel like I would dishonor my friends if I didn't use this opportunity to share their story.

THANK YOU for these resources!!!

Here is one other thought if you are interested in interviewing someone who remembers Bhutan.....

Every state has an Office of Refugee Resettlement. Call yours and find out what nearby cities are resettling Bhutanese, and which agencies in those cities are doing that work. Alternatively, you could Google "<city name> refugee resettlement", and you should get a list of agency names. Call those agencies and see if they offer any employment or ESOL classes that would bring their clients on site regularly. If so, ask if you can come in and meet some clients for a school project on Bhutan.

The refugees left Bhutan between 1990 and 1992, so you would want someone old enough to remember it. Those who are 40+ are most likely to remember the best, but they are the least likely to speak much English. Ask if a caseworker or a younger client who attended school in the camp in Nepal can interpret for you. The young ones learned English in the camp schools.

Many of the older men and women wear traditional dress, and they are truly delightful and "old world". They would be honored to have an American come to learn about Bhutan, although their cultural upbringing may make them very shy out of respect.

Nonetheless, it's an adventure :).

Edited by Beth in OH

Wow. I really can't fathom being forced out of my country, living in a refugee camp for years and years, and then having to make a new life somewhere else. That is so hard.

Aw, man, I was going to suggest Bhutan, but since there were pages and pages of suggestions (I did not read them all), I figured you'd had plenty of suggestions and thought surely many people would have suggested tiny little Bhutan. We watched the royal wedding and it was beautiful and so sweet. I loved that the royal couple shook hands with almost everyone who came out and kept asking people if they were having a good time.

Wow. I really can't fathom being forced out of my country, living in a refugee camp for years and years, and then having to make a new life somewhere else. That is so hard.

VS.

We watched the royal wedding and it was beautiful and so sweet. I loved that the royal couple shook hands with almost everyone who came out and kept asking people if they were having a good time.

I think this is a fascinating contrast within the country. It's amazing that Bhutan can be both. People and politics are certainly hard to figure out sometimes!

Bhutan is the subject of "the world's largest book." I don't know where you are, but my kids have seen it both in Woodland Park, CO, and at UW in Seattle. Measuring at 5'x7', it's quite impressive. The photography is stunning.

I've googled for a minute unsuccessfully for a listing of public displays, but putting in a location or asking (here) might get a quick response.

Wikipedia

Google images