Menu

Please help me think through Geometry!

Hi everyone,

I know this is early but we set our budget in early January and I need to have a ballpark figure to work with by then.

I am struggling with choosing a Geometry curriculum for my oldest son. He is working on Algebra I using Harold Jacobs text and that is going really well. He is actually having his best (as in happiest) math year ever. He is very strong in math (he is a young seventh grader) but has never really enjoyed it.

My dh and I are also very strong in math. Dh was, at one point, certified to teach high school math. So what is the problem? Geometry was the one math course that reduced me to tears. I just did not get it in ninth grade. Even the pre-alg geometry chapter in Dolciani last year made my heart race. I also have 3 younger children so spending a ton of time relearning and teaching geometry may not be a realistic option.

So, I am leaning toward TT Geometry. Am I right that there is a teaching component to this? Dh would be able to help him/us over any humps. Is there review of algebra I in the program?

I think Jacobs is out bc of the discovery learning of the 3rd edition, as ds does not thrive/enjoy that type of approach for math. However, does anyone know of a video type course that uses the 2nd edition?

I am open to other suggestions. Online classes, unfortunately are out of our price range. Dolciani and Jacobs have both been very successful in our house. Spiral approaches are difficult as ds gets some things very, very fast and is impatient with the repetition. He is unlikely to be headed into a STEM career, although it is possible (lots of engineers on both sides of the family). Both dh and I went to highly selective colleges and it is possible ds is headed in that direction so I want him prepared for that type of work/environment.

If you've stuck with me, thanks.:001_smile: If I need to buck up and relearn geometry w/dh to support me, I will but, if there is a good video/computer program out there that you recommend, that would be awesome.

I haven't used TT geometry myself, but the reviews I've heard say it's one of their strongest programs.

:bigear:

Yes, I've heard that, too. I've also heard it said that it's not "honors level." But if it is fine, even for a child who *may* go STEM, and doable, I probably will go that route. I just want to see what else might be out there and doable for us at this point.

I looked pretty hard at TT Geometry last spring and my take was that it is a pretty thorough course. Just my opinion, of course. DD had used TT Algebra 1 and done well. But $$$ was a little tight, so we ended up using Saxon Geometry because I had it on the shelf already from when her brother used it. It's going just fine so far.

The other program I looked at was Chalkdust's Geometry. They use the Larson book, which is a good one. Maybe that would be something to look at for your son?

I looked pretty hard at TT Geometry last spring and my take was that it is a pretty thorough course. Just my opinion, of course. DD had used TT Algebra 1 and done well. But $$$ was a little tight, so we ended up using Saxon Geometry because I had it on the shelf already from when her brother used it. It's going just fine so far.

The other program I looked at was Chalkdust's Geometry. They use the Larson book, which is a good one. Maybe that would be something to look at for your son?

Thanks. It is a bit more than I want to spend, but I'll put in on the list to consider.