Menu

Catholic baptism question re. white garment

New Baby will be baptised next week. DD1 was baptised in a Lutheran church- she wore a white dress that had been mine as a baby. I even made a handkerchief bonnet in a rare moment of craftiness, thinking it could be "something old" when she gets married. I do not forseeing myself getting it together enough to make another one. I was not raised Christian. Is it traditional that each baby have his/her own garment, or is recycling common, or does it not really matter? Silly question, perhaps, but I really want to establish traditions within our little family since I don't have any to pass down.

Is it traditional that each baby have his/her own garment, or is recycling common, or does it not really matter?

I think it is quite traditional, as well as quite sensible, to use a "family heirloom" christening gown. But in the end, it doesn't really matter - do what feels right to YOU and your family.

Traditionally (since Victoria times) across most Christian faiths often the mom's wedding dress when to make the baptismal gown for all babies of the family. That is if there was not already a baptismal gown already circulating within the larger clan. Sometimes though mom kept her dress to pass on to her daughters.

So short answer to your question, one baptismal gown per immediate family to be used within said immediate family.

Traditionally (since Victoria times) across most Christian faiths often the mom's wedding dress when to make the baptismal gown for all babies of the family. That is if there was not already a baptismal gown already circulating within the larger clan. Sometimes though mom kept her dress to pass on to her daughters.

So short answer to your question, one baptismal gown per immediate family to be used within said immediate family.

Oh! I L.O.V.E. the wedding gown idea! How precious!

OK- the wedding gown idea is just not going to happen in a week. It's a fantastic idea, since it's just sitting in storage at MIL house anyway.

I did call the church- they did not offer a white bib. I'll see if I can find anything else. Really, it's just a white dress that dd1 wore, not so much a baptismal gown, per se. She was about 3 months old, so I don't know if dd2 would be swimming in it or not. I guess I could actually pull it out.

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'm a little paranoid- there was a baptism after mass on Sunday, and the baby girl had a gorgeous, long gown with big bow-thing on her head. She was beautiful. It's not about being a show though, I know.

OK- the wedding gown idea is just not going to happen in a week. It's a fantastic idea, since it's just sitting in storage at MIL house anyway.

I did call the church- they did not offer a white bib. I'll see if I can find anything else. Really, it's just a white dress that dd1 wore, not so much a baptismal gown, per se. She was about 3 months old, so I don't know if dd2 would be swimming in it or not. I guess I could actually pull it out.

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'm a little paranoid- there was a baptism after mass on Sunday, and the baby girl had a gorgeous, long gown with big bow-thing on her head. She was beautiful. It's not about being a show though, I know.

Why don't you have her wear what your daughter wore and leave it at that? Even if there is a "bib," they put it on top of the gown. It used to be that the baby would be brought in without the baptismal gown and then the gown was placed on the baby when the "white garment" is supposed to be put on. But they changed the rite.

If the baby is swimming in it, you can take it in with handsewn tucks. It will be beautiful.

That's excellent to know, because it's exactly what I did!! My mom made my wedding gown but passed away before my children were born...my MIL used the train of the gown and some of the antique lace to make a gown that both children wore for baptism. And here I thought it was one of my better original ideas...lol In any case, I consider it an instant heirloom.

That's excellent to know, because it's exactly what I did!! My mom made my wedding gown but passed away before my children were born...my MIL used the train of the gown and some of the antique lace to make a gown that both children wore for baptism. And here I thought it was one of my better original ideas...lol In any case, I consider it an instant heirloom.

Exactly.

This is why I'll never understand the "trash the dress" mentality.

I suppose people are getting away from it in this day of blended families and such.

All of my girls were baptized in the Catholic Church wearing the same dress. My oldest son was baptized without a lot of preparation and wasn't even wearing white. In part of the ceremony the baby is covered in a white bib that symbolizes the 'clean white garment' so white - although traditional - isn't even essential.

Of course, this was all before we left the Catholic Church and the kids were all re-baptised (as believers) in their swimming suits in the pacific ocean.

I'll bet you could find a handsewn bonnet/wedding handkerchief on Etsy. Here's one, for example.

That way, you would have one for each girl, but they could wear the same dress.

This is brilliant!! Thanks for the idea. I pulled out the dress and it seems a bit.... billowy, but this is a small affair and I think I can make it work without spending oodles on a new one.

My grandmother made a baptismal gown for my mom out of silk my grandfather brought back from Japan. I wore the same gown (and it's possible my brother did). My older son was baptized in that gown, too.

I've heard the tradition about the wedding dresses, but it was easier to just keep using the same gown for us.

So, yes - in lots of families there is a "recycling" of the gown/dress and it's perfectly lovely.

My boys were baptized (Methodist) in the same gown my grandmother had sent from England. I also had my dh's blanket and Catholic hmm, "bib". It looks like a bib with the symbol for Christ on it. It's very sweet and all my BILs and SIL were christened in it as well.

I'm all for using one gown for all the children in the family. I'm holding on to it.

In DH's family the firstborn of each family gets to wear the family heirloom gown. Oldest DD, DH, FIL, and FIL's uncle all wore it, as did the girl of my SIL's twins. My MIL was antiquing while I was pregnant with #2 and bought an antique christening gown for the subsequent children in her line. That is was DS and younger DD wore.