Menu

If you have ever used Sonlight LA

campmom

could ou please tell me what you liked/disliked about it. I'm looking at the level with the 3rd grade readers for my child who loves to read, but can read above a third grade level.

TIA

I don't know what it is like today. But back when I used it, the spiral thing was confusing, I think. My daughter did just fine, but I had to switch to Abeka for my son.

My daughter is using it with the first grade readers, but I am finding it to just be poorly written. It introduces new concepts seemingly randomly and doesn't explain them particularly well. I closed the book on it this week. I'm just going to have her do copywork until I can get the WWE, ETC, and FLL books delivered. She does like the readers.

We only used SL's LA for one year, but I felt that my child needed a more methodical, step-by-step approach, rather than just a "natural learning" approach. So we switched to BJU English, which is a workbook-style study of grammar and writing, and Evan Moor's Building Spelling Skills, which had more variety to learn spelling. We have continued to use SL's Readers, and my kids have loved them.

Some people love SL's LA, but it just wasn't a good fit for us.

They totally revamped it this year(or so they say, the samples look awfully familiar to me), so nobody has used its current incarnation. We used K,1, and 2 and were SO happy when we switched. You can search for threads on its problems. There are too many to type on my phone. I've never actually heard anyone love it. I've heard some who don't mind it and many who hated it.

My kids needed something that taught more directly and explicitly. They needed a mastery-based approach, and the LA is more exposure/spiral like history. They needed writing assignments broken down into doable parts with good how-to instruction. SL LA has interesting and creative writing assignments but doesn't give a lot of instruction on how to do them. I'd be happy with just a prompt, but my kids needed a lot more. We used Level D several years ago, and tried Levels K and 1 about a decade ago...so, fwiw....

Merry :-)