Menu

CW: Can't I just start with Homer or Diogenes for older beginner?

FloridaLisa

Okay. I've had CW on my shelf for years and my children have now passed up the Aesop stage. But, I think this is finally our year to start CW. I'd like to start my rising 8th and 9th graders together. I've seen the placement chart on the CW website but . . .do I really need to start with Aesop Older Beginners? :001_huh: Can I buy that but start them with Homer? Will we be able to move into Diogenes this year you think? My 8th grader, especially, is an intuitive writer and I'd like to really stretch both of their writing this year.

Any bdtd? Any and all wisdom much appreciated!

Lisa

yes. Absolutely skip the Aesop level material. Skim it for the info and techniques, but then go ahead and begin with the Homer level writing assignments. Depending on your children's abilities, you might also find yourself able to pick & choose & skip some of the exercises. (for example, the six sentence shuffle - make that the 1-2 sentence shuffle!!, some weeks do all the exercises, but skip the writing assignment, other weeks perhaps do the exercises orally and move right along to the writing project).

Older Beginners takes you through all of Aesop and Homer in 22 weeks, instead of the 4 years they were planned for. So if you want a workbook and a little hand holding, it can be an easy way to skip ahead. Older Beginners is only 2 or 3 weeks of Aesop and the rest is Homer.

But, yes, you can do it on your own.

Look at the Aesop levels, There are 3 Word Skill levels, 4 Grammar Skill levels, and 3 Writing Projects. Do you think they can already do all those? Would it be an easy start to do "Aesop" for the first week or two?

Then look at the Homer levels. In the back of the book there is a sample chart for completing it in 20 weeks. Or you can just look at the skill levels for each day and start them where they need to be. That might mean they are at different levels for each skill, but it might get your older through faster.

Lisa,

(whispering........) I think the authors of CW over-rate the difficulty, the uniqueness, and the writing levels required for their program.

I bought the advanced beginners last yr for my then 6th and 8th graders. It was way too convoluted for me, my kids were definitely skill-wise beyond the instruction, and we dropped it. (thankfully!!)

I would not use the program for high school writing. It focuses on basic fictional writing skills (they do receive writing instruction, but definitely upper elementary school grade level instruction). My goal for high school writing is analytical and non-fiction. I personally relegate fictional writing to the younger yrs.

If you want an Advanced Beginners IG and slightly used student book......I have them for cheap. ;)

• 5 months later...
Okay. I've had CW on my shelf for years and my children have now passed up the Aesop stage. But, I think this is finally our year to start CW. I'd like to start my rising 8th and 9th graders together. I've seen the placement chart on the CW website but . . .do I really need to start with Aesop Older Beginners? :001_huh: Can I buy that but start them with Homer? Will we be able to move into Diogenes this year you think? My 8th grader, especially, is an intuitive writer and I'd like to really stretch both of their writing this year.

Any bdtd? Any and all wisdom much appreciated!

Lisa

Lisa,

What did you decide??

Thanks!