Menu

CC Timeline versus VP Timeline

SonshineLearner

Hey Everyone,

So, I must be bored today!! If you were going to memorize a Timeline, and you pretty much know the VP Timeline, do you find the CC (new) timeline to be so excellent that you'd memorize a new one?

I have a song for the VP (CC Old one), so the song isn't the thing that makes the deal. Looking at the events listed... are they so much better?

What makes it worth the time... :)

PS, we aren't and won't be in a CC community.

PS, Memory is easy here... and if you're a History Buff who's debated this... I'd love to hear that, too! :)

(Also, $$$ isn't the issue here, either. It's the "which one is better or is it just preference?)

They are DIFFERENT.

I loved the old VP timeline, so was not pleased when the new CC one came out. That being said, the CC one includes a lot of different things. The old one seemed to be focused on events and people, and was mostly Western and had a lot of Bible stuff. The new one is more civilization-focused, has less Bible stuff, and is much less Western-centric.

I had a hard time deciding what to do this year, and ended up scanning all the cards (from both sets), and combining them into one big timeline doc to study off of. The new CC cards are at the top, then there is a horizontal line with the years across the middle, then the old VP cards are on the bottom. Of course some events have cards in both, so they are aligned, but many cards do not have a corresponding one in the other timeline set.

I hope that my kids will see that they are really all one, and will retain both long-term.

How's that for not helping you decide? :)

Edited by MeganW

First, some background. We were in a CC community two years ago - during Cycle 2 - when my little man was a 1st grader. I already knew we'd be doing VP history in 2nd, so covering the whole timeline in advance was a bonus for us. We did OTAE in 2nd last year and have started NTGR this year in 3rd. I purchased all of the CC Timeline cards, out of curiosity more than anything, but have only reviewed the first set - Ancient World - thus far alongside OTAE and NTGR, so take this with a grain of salt.

From where we're sitting right now, I prefer VP's Timeline (slightly reorganized into chronological order, similar to the way CC reorganized them) over CC's Timeline. Glancing through the next few sets, I don't foresee my opinion about this changing in the future. Honestly, I wouldn't want to teach from CC's Timeline, but it makes for a complementary supplement to VP's.

VP has a great thing going with their Bible & History combo, and I can see that my little man gets far more out of it than he would from just CC's Timeline. IMHO, the Lord has His reasons for including particular people/events in His Word, so I want lay a solid foundation for my little man by focusing on those in the grammar stage, with in-depth attention to additional people/events such as that included in the CC Timeline falling secondary (in both priority and stage). I'm not saying that we don't or won't take rabbit trails along the way, because we do. It just seems to happen, while learning about and understanding those core topics more in-depth, things in HIStory just fall into place more easily.

Uh-oh, gotta go. I don't have to time edit, so I hope what I've shared makes some sense.

We are back in CC after a two-year break from it. I expected not to like the CC timeline because I was used to the VP timeline. My first glance at the CC timeline left me a little bit disappointed because fewer Biblical events had been included compared to the VP timeline. But, I have to say that now that I've spent a little bit of time with the new one, I love it! It has become our spine for history. It is easy to assign pages from the Usborne Internet-Linked Ancient World to go along with many of the cards. Another thing I like is that many of the cards tie a person with an event together. So just the name of the card is teaching them more history than they knew before. I also like the inclusion of civilizations and events from other parts of the world, especially during the modern time periods. I love that modern includes more than just American events (I never liked that about the last group of VP cards).

Also, I love the song. I don't just love that there IS a song, I love the way they did the song. The first five times I heard it I broke out in goose bumps when it got to the card for Jesus the Messiah. I also love the way it ends ".... I'm part of my timeline...." LOVE IT!!! The kids love it too.

CC definitely got it right this time, imho.

You would buy the CC timeline right off of the site. I don't know how they are selling the song, though. There are motions already loaded on Youtube... but the cards would have to be purchased if you want all that info. Also, there isn't anyone singing the song yet. The VP cards never had an official song, so you have to know someone in the underground world to get one of those :)

You would buy the CC timeline right off of the site. I don't know how they are selling the song, though. There are motions already loaded on Youtube... but the cards would have to be purchased if you want all that info. Also, there isn't anyone singing the song yet. The VP cards never had an official song, so you have to know someone in the underground world to get one of those :)

The song is on the new Cycle 1 set of CDs. There is a whole CD in the set dedicated to Timeline, presidents, prepositions, books of the Bible). The VP cards do have a song if you do them in the VP order (I noticed this when we tried out the Self-paced history program last month).

With regards to what other said, I didn't like the fact that there were fewer Biblical events/people, (the events are there all lumped together - Creation AND the Fall, the Flood AND the Tower of Babel, later on in the timeline, you see/hear Israel Exodus AND Desert Wandering, Israel Conquest AND Judges - but the people of the Bible are all taken out; these could easily be added back in as you are studying the timeline cards) but I do love the inclusion of other non Western events in the modern era. We also LOVE LOVE LOVE the song! It's catchy. It gives me goose bumps at the Jesus the Messiah part too! The kids ask for it in the car every day, over and over. I get tired of it before they do.

You can buy the songs ad an mp3 download if that's all you want. http://www.classicalconversationsbooks.com/clacfahitiso.html

Personally, I prefer the vp cards, but I like how the vp cards identify book sources to further supplement . I also love the vp self paced courses, so I'm biased. There's a lot of overlap imho. Cc has less bible events, more eastern history events.

We are in our 2nd year of CC, and so I bought the VP cards and used them for one year. Then I found out that they were doing away with them and I was initially upset. But I quickly got over it. I really love the CC cards so much more. All for reasons that have already been said. I love the song. I love that it includes more world history b/c the VP cards focused more on U.S. history after the pilgrims. Yes, there is "lumping" together, but you know what? It's squishing more facts in this way, and with the song it makes it soooooo much easier. We didn't come close to memorizing the VP cards last year, but this year's just begun and we almost have the song memorized. Something else that I like better about the CC cards. There are more cards for the 20th century. The CC cards cover events that I wondered why they were missing from the VP cards. They cover the fall of communism in Europe, MLK Jr. and the civil rights movement, Gandhi and India's independence, Watergate, the Antarctic Treaty, and the abolishment of apartheid in S. Africa. The CC cards really are all that and a bag of chips. LOL!

• 11 months later...

Can I throw this thread back out there for more input?

What kind of "more input" are you looking for?

We use VP and enjoy it. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

And just to correct a previous post since I've already jumped headlong into reviving an old thread...

VP offers a song that you can buy on CD for each of their timeline sets. http://www.veritaspress.com/all-5-history-cards-song-cds.html

Thanks!  For those of us that have the VP cards, would a nice compromise be to get the modern times CC cards that have more nonwestern events, or are they extremely different throughout? 

Maybe. They are really different. Each set has more nonwestern events than VP. There's a thread somewhere that compares the events for each set.

The background information for the event/time period/person is more detailed on the CC cards.

• 1 year later...

The song is on the new Cycle 1 set of CDs. There is a whole CD in the set dedicated to Timeline, presidents, prepositions, books of the Bible). The VP cards do have a song if you do them in the VP order (I noticed this when we tried out the Self-paced history program last month).

With regards to what other said, I didn't like the fact that there were fewer Biblical events/people, (the events are there all lumped together - Creation AND the Fall, the Flood AND the Tower of Babel, later on in the timeline, you see/hear Israel Exodus AND Desert Wandering, Israel Conquest AND Judges - but the people of the Bible are all taken out; these could easily be added back in as you are studying the timeline cards) but I do love the inclusion of other non Western events in the modern era. We also LOVE LOVE LOVE the song! It's catchy. It gives me goose bumps at the Jesus the Messiah part too! The kids ask for it in the car every day, over and over. I get tired of it before they do.

So if you were to memorize a timeline today , which one would you choose?  Looks like you have pros and cons about both.  ;)

Pam

Maybe. They are really different. Each set has more nonwestern events than VP. There's a thread somewhere that compares the events for each set.

The background information for the event/time period/person is more detailed on the CC cards.

Anyone know which thread this might be?

Pam