Menu

homemade whipped cream--question

how much whipping cream will make enough whipped cream to cover a 9 x 13 cake??

If i make too much, can you freeze homemade whipped cream? If so that would be great becasue I would love to make a bunch and have some on hand...kind of like I used to do by buying tubs of Cool Whip.

Whipped cream stores nicely in the fridge - sealed container because it picks up smells. I've kept it in the fridge for 4-5 days no problem, you just have to whip it up about 30 seconds before you use it. Biggest problem is keeping DH and kids from eating it out of the bowl.....

You have to be a little careful using whipping cream on a cake. The cake has to be absolutely cool and you can end up with a real mess if the room is even a little warm. You can get around that by adding gelatin to the whipping cream to stabilize it - here is a link with instructions on that.

If you are using pure whipping cream, I would whip it up and keep it in the fridge, then frost the cake just before serving.

ETA - yeah, I agree. Probably a pint of cream will do it. Unless your family is like mine, in which case I have to add another cup of cream because they sneak it.....

thanks for this...I would have never thought to NOT frost the cake until serving...my plan was to frost it right away...however, it is for a birthday....and she is going to want candles on the cake....now what? I never gave this a thought at all....will I need to use the gelatin to do this?? Please help me now.

thanks for this...I would have never thought to NOT frost the cake until serving...my plan was to frost it right away...however, it is for a birthday....and she is going to want candles on the cake....now what? I never gave this a thought at all....will I need to use the gelatin to do this?? Please help me now.

Do you have room in the fridge for your cake? In an ideal world, I would frost it and then put it in the fridge. How cool is it where you live? If the house is cool, the cake will be fine frosted and out on the counter for an hour or two. I've seen my mom do wedding cakes with whipped cream frosting, and she'll move them from the freezer to the venue. From frozen, they're find for a few hours. Just be sure the cake is cold when you frost it. It will be fine with the candles. They only stay lit for a minute. Store leftovers in the fridge.