Menu

Dr. Who Season/Series 7 (contains spoilers)

So, would anyone want to start talking about Season/Series 7?

I was reading somewhere else that so far all three episodes have had 3 things in common.

1. Flickering lights

2. Mention Christmas

3. Big explosion near the end

Also, I don't know about BBC but BBCAmerica has been playing a commercial that goes something along the lines "Every story has a beginning, middle and end but not always in that order"

I'm thinking they are giving us some clues to something but there are a billion guesses as to what. :001_unsure:

We know the Ponds leave in episode 5 which is the last episode before the Christmas episode and that they leave under "heartbreaking circumstances" . So do we think they are leaving us clues about the Christmas episode or the Ponds final episode? If you remember in the other Weeping Angel shows, the lights always flickered and the 5th show is called The Angels take Manhatten.

Other things to consider:

When Rory's Dad is in the Tardis looking down at the world with the Ponds, the Dr is looking at them very sadly.

When the Dr and Amy are talking and she makes a joke about him being around until the end of her.

In the 3rd episode, the Ponds decline a trip with the Dr saying they want to go home and the Dr acts a little weird.

Yes. I have WAY too much time invested in guessing this. :001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes:

Did not catch flickering lights...hmm Well something always happens around Christmas with the Dr.

I am just hoping they do not totally kill off Rory and Amy maybe just have the weeping angels send them back in time to "live to death".

I can't wait for River's return..love her! I am wondering what she has changed about the future (from one of the trailer clips).

I know what it is like to spend way too much time thinking about the Dr.

I missed all that. Although I did catch the Amy comment about her end. I was hoping they Amy and Rory stop traveling because she is pregnant and they don't want a repeat of baby River's beginning.

And I'm a little ticked that at the end of last season they harped on "the question" but that hasn't been addressed in any of these new episodes.

I missed all that. Although I did catch the Amy comment about her end. I was hoping they Amy and Rory stop traveling because she is pregnant and they don't want a repeat of baby River's beginning.

And I'm a little ticked that at the end of last season they harped on "the question" but that hasn't been addressed in any of these new episodes.

I think the question is Dr. Who? He kept saying that over and over Dr. Who? Dr. Who?? I think that is the oldest question in plain site the one that must never be answered.

I'm curious as to how they will introduce the new companion, and if she will be Oswin. If so, how will she have survived the explosion, and how did she become human again?

The new companion will be Oswin. At least the actress that played her. It was a well-kept secret that she was introduced in the first episode. No one expected to see her until the Christmas episode.

As to how she will end up his companion, that's anybody's guess.

Also, what's with the Doctor being on a mudering rampage lately? My husband especially is worried because he sent the guy out to be killed by the missiles. I mean, Amy did stop him from killing the alien doctor, but still, he wanted to. It seems he swings from justice to mercy and back and has a hard time finding a balance.

Patience, patience! That question only gets asked at the fall of the 11th, right? ;) And has everyone noticed that no one seems to know the Doctor any more? I think that's what the anniversary special will be about: The final battle and regeneration of Matt Smith's Doctor. Then someone will ask the question!

Also, what's with the Doctor being on a mudering rampage lately? My husband especially is worried because he sent the guy out to be killed by the missiles. I mean, Amy did stop him from killing the alien doctor, but still, he wanted to. It seems he swings from justice to mercy and back and has a hard time finding a balance.

It's interesting that you said that, they are talking about how in episode 3 they are kind of showing him to look like #9 Eccleston. Kind of a.... hey, the guy that got rid of all the Time Lords is still in there. Same guy....

3F5EAC85-4ACA-4DE1-BC46-1EE9501EB7A6-1410-0000012311BADEC8.jpg

Dd and I just had a long discussion about Oswin and what a great companion she would make. Had not heard she was it so personally glad. Ds doesn't like her--one in every crowd.;) I did read that Matt Smith has signed for another year so I doubt he will be regenerating.

Maybe we are in the middle and Oswin is a previous companion? Maybe we will go back for a season. Looking forward to Christmas episode--it should be good.

The new companion will be Oswin. At least the actress that played her.

I know, that's why I'm curious. She should be dead. I'm sure she was introduced on purpose. Freema Agyeman was in an episode before she played Martha. IIRC, it was explained away has having been Martha's cousin. I don't believe that will be the case this time. This time it's part of the story; I just can't figure out what part.

Amy told him that this is what happens when he travels alone for too long! Great point and great tie in to Eccleston and Tennant. Actually, though, I do think the writers have been messing a bit with the characters personalities. I told dh that they all seem "off." I think Moffat is a genius, though, so I have to hope he knows what he is doing. Of course, episode 1 is the only episode of his that has aired so far.

I am also eager to get rid of the Ponds.

Say it isn't so!!! :willy_nilly::svengo: I have not been able to concentrate on these new episodes because I know they are leaving. :crying: I thought I was attached to Rose, and I was, but after not wanting to like Matt Smith or Amy/Rory, well, I just love them. All I can say is they BETTER do it right!

Ok, anyone else really not want Oswin to be the new companion?

Me!! See above. Though, I know I will probably end up liking her eventually. I like Martha, but after the very emotional end to Season 2, I just couldn't love her. She is still my least favorite companion. Oswin will end up being the same I suppose.

I was reading somewhere else that so far all three episodes have had 3 things in common.

1. Flickering lights

2. Mention Christmas

3. Big explosion near the end

We know the Ponds leave in episode 5 which is the last episode before the Christmas episode and that they leave under "heartbreaking circumstances" . So do we think they are leaving us clues about the Christmas episode or the Ponds final episode? If you remember in the other Weeping Angel shows, the lights always flickered and the 5th show is called The Angels take Manhatten.

When Rory's Dad is in the Tardis looking down at the world with the Ponds, the Dr is looking at them very sadly.

When the Dr and Amy are talking and she makes a joke about him being around until the end of her.

We've definitely noticed the Christmas quips. Dh believes there have been clues for The Angels Take Manhatten episode.

Once Episode 5 airs and I know what is going to happen, then I can go back and watch the other episodes again and maybe appreciate them. Right now I just can't (pathetic, I know).

Last year dd's named their kittens Amelia Pond and Rory. :lol:

We have been a little disappointed here with this season. We absolutely love Dr Who. We have all of the Eccleston and Tennant seasons on DVD and even did the Dr Who tour when we went to London last year. There just seems to be something off with this season. The Dr essentially killing one person (dinosaur show) and then almost killing another in this last episode (if it weren't for Amy). The Dr using a gun (we all yelled out....the Dr doesn't use guns!)...the humourous references to "adult-type" content. My dh is often complaining that the Dr is not really solving any of the problems. (I'm not sure if I agree with this one.) We loved the Ponds as well but we aren't really enjoying a whole season just dedicated to saying goodbye. Maybe we are just annoyed with the fact that there are only 5 episodes in a season that we waited so long for. Hopefully things will improve.

We have been a little disappointed here with this season. We absolutely love Dr Who. We have all of the Eccleston and Tennant seasons on DVD and even did the Dr Who tour when we went to London last year. There just seems to be something off with this season. The Dr essentially killing one person (dinosaur show) and then almost killing another in this last episode (if it weren't for Amy). The Dr using a gun (we all yelled out....the Dr doesn't use guns!)...the humourous references to "adult-type" content. My dh is often complaining that the Dr is not really solving any of the problems. (I'm not sure if I agree with this one.) We loved the Ponds as well but we aren't really enjoying a whole season just dedicated to saying goodbye. Maybe we are just annoyed with the fact that there are only 5 episodes in a season that we waited so long for. Hopefully things will improve.

I liked the episodes, but there are a few things that bugged me. The gun thing is one of them. The Doctor does.not.use.guns.

I'm thinking they are giving us some clues to something but there are a billion guesses as to what. :001_unsure:

In the 3rd episode, the Ponds decline a trip with the Dr saying they want to go home and the Dr acts a little weird.

Yes. I have WAY too much time invested in guessing this. :001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes:

I've pointed these same things out to DH after every episode. He just gives me this look :001_huh: that implies he is humoring me.

I think Moffat is clearly setting the stage for the Pond's departure. I'm fully prepared for it to be a terribly sad departure based on the way the Doctor has been looking at them when Amy makes those little comments.

I kind of like the fact that the Doctor has been a little darker this season and I think his advanced age contributes to that darkness. By his admission, he was 907 when #11 first met Amy, just over 1100 when he invited them to Utah, and now (as of A Town Called Mercy) claims to be 1200. But at the same time, the Doctor's farewell tour lasted 200 years. I think it stands to reason that he'd now be very different from CE/DT's portrayal of the Doctor.

I liked Oswin and I look forward to finding out her story. I am curious as to how they'll manage it since the two characters have different but similiar names. My original thought was that her real name was Clara Oswin but she changed her name to Oswin Oswald at some point after she stopped traveling with the Doctor, but I can't decide if he acted like he knew her or not. If he did, then that gives my theory some plausibility but if not then I don't know.

@Angel - I have a kitty named Rory too. :D

I liked Oswin and I look forward to finding out her story. I am curious as to how they'll manage it since the two characters have different but similiar names. My original thought was that her real name was Clara Oswin but she changed her name to Oswin Oswald at some point after she stopped traveling with the Doctor, but I can't decide if he acted like he knew her or not. If he did, then that gives my theory some plausibility but if not then I don't know.

@Angel - I have a kitty named Rory too. :D

:lol: That is awesome! Dd17 is in love with David Tennant and the Last Centurion. She can't make up her mind.

And who is Clara Oswin?? And when did she travel with the Doctor? Dh watched Doctor Who years ago but I did not. Is it a tie in?

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, they did it right, but I still cried through the last part. That was a really hard episode for me. Rory always seemed a little insecure about what Amie would choose, guess now he knows for sure she would choose him.

I hope we will get peeks at their lives by River visiting them. The part where Amy took River's hand and spoke to her like a child, telling her to "be a good girl" made me bawl.

we are speculating what their lives were like, if maybe Rory, with his medical knowledge, and the fact that male nurses weren't accepted back then, maybe he became a Dr.? We couldn't agree- I thought Amie wrote the book with River as the heroine, Dh thought River wrote the book and Amie just wrote the afterward and had it published. Thoughts?

Amy and Rory :crying: SPOILERS

I loved that episode. They did the angels right, they did the farewell right and welcome back River.

I'd just like to say that I am so glad they got to grow old together.

SPOILERS!!!

I found the episode very confusing at the end -and even harder to explain to my 6yo! It wasn't made clear whether the place Amy and Rory went was just as bad as it was in the beginning or somehow made better after they tried to change the paradox.:confused:

Thoughts?

Am I the only one that thought the doctor was shown as a bit too human at the end of episode 5? Previous doctors have let their companions go with grace and dignity, but this one was so distraught. I get that through the last couple of seasons it has been mentioned that he should not travel alone because it hardens him, and he has been traveling with Amy off and on for years, but still I think his reaction was over the top. I did love that Amy chose Rory after all of these years of uncertainty over where her loyalty was at. She was calm about it too, and it was a great ending for the two of them.

Overall it was a much better episode than some of the other ones lately, and I will likely watch it a few more times to pick up on little things I missed. I might have to go back a few seasons to pick up on little things that were themes I missed.

:confused::confused: Huh? Ok, I didn't get that at all. Where did Clara Oswin come from?

For the record, I LOVED Oswin. I love it when the Doctor is with someone smart who challenges him. Oswin would be challenging him all over the place. "Run, you clever boy..." Loved it!

SPOILERS!!!

I found the episode very confusing at the end -and even harder to explain to my 6yo! It wasn't made clear whether the place Amy and Rory went was just as bad as it was in the beginning or somehow made better after they tried to change the paradox.:confused:

Thoughts?

I agree if one does not know how the angels get rid of enemies (simply sending them back in time) it could be confusing.

The best I could figure, doing the math, is that the angel sent Rory and Amy to NYC in 1880ish.

Am I the only one that thought the doctor was shown as a bit too human at the end of episode 5? Previous doctors have let their companions go with grace and dignity, but this one was so distraught.

I think David Tennant's doctor was more emotional at the end of his run when he was saying goodbye. That one made me more teary than the Ponds' goodbye.

SPOILERS!!!

Thoughts?

The Doctor said something about not being able to change what's been written. I thought of The Waters of Mars where Tennant's doctor tries to change history that had already been written. He failed--the person he was trying to save still died, just under different circumstances. He was also traveling without a companion when he attempted it. I think that the Ponds' attempt to change history was unsuccessful because it was a history that had been written--Rory died. He still died, just under different circumstances. Because of that I don't think their attempt to create a paradox worked.

Amy and Rory :crying: SPOILERS

I loved that episode. They did the angels right, they did the farewell right and welcome back River.

I'd just like to say that I am so glad they got to grow old together.

:iagree:

yeah, they did it right, but I still cried through the last part. That was a really hard episode for me. Rory always seemed a little insecure about what Amie would choose, guess now he knows for sure she would choose him. I loved how there was no doubt for Amy though. Together or not at all. What a wonderful way to define true love. :001_smile:

I hope we will get peeks at their lives by River visiting them. The part where Amy took River's hand and spoke to her like a child, telling her to "be a good girl" made me bawl. As much as I would love this too, I don't think it's going to happen.

we are speculating what their lives were like, if maybe Rory, with his medical knowledge, and the fact that male nurses weren't accepted back then, maybe he became a Dr.? We couldn't agree- I thought Amie wrote the book with River as the heroine, Dh thought River wrote the book and Amie just wrote the afterward and had it published. Thoughts? According to River, she's the one that wrote the book, which makes sense given the author was named Melody, and had Amy publish it after writing the Afterward.

SPOILERS!!!

Thoughts?

By creating the paradox, they 'killed' the angel infection that had taken over the city and set things right again. Leave it to Rory to save the day yet again. :lol:

Am I the only one that thought the doctor was shown as a bit too human at the end of episode 5? Previous doctors have let their companions go with grace and dignity, but this one was so distraught. I get that through the last couple of seasons it has been mentioned that he should not travel alone because it hardens him, and he has been traveling with Amy off and on for years, but still I think his reaction was over the top. I did love that Amy chose Rory after all of these years of uncertainty over where her loyalty was at. She was calm about it too, and it was a great ending for the two of them.

Overall it was a much better episode than some of the other ones lately, and I will likely watch it a few more times to pick up on little things I missed. I might have to go back a few seasons to pick up on little things that were themes I missed.

I think the Doctor's reaction was in keeping with how they've created this version of the Doctor to be. You have to remember that in the 4th ep, he told Amy that "her face was the first face [his] face had seen, and it was written on his heart". I think because of that, and because she was just a little girl when they first met, he does feel more strongly for her than other companions. Not only has he watched her grow up in a sense, but Amy and Rory are his family b/c he still considers himself and River married. So IMO, it makes perfect sense that he would be overly distraught at her going somewhere he'd never be able to see her again.

:confused::confused: Huh? Ok, I didn't get that at all. Where did Clara Oswin come from?

For the record, I LOVED Oswin. I love it when the Doctor is with someone smart who challenges him. Oswin would be challenging him all over the place. "Run, you clever boy..." Loved it!

Per Moffat, the new companion, whom we officially meet in December, is named Clara Oswin. There's a ton of speculation on the net and fan pages as to how Clara Oswin and Oswin Oswald tie together since both are played by the same actress.

Will they do a Martha thing and make Clara a relative to Oswin, or will Oswin be like Donna when she forgot about the Doctor?

I agree if one does not know how the angels get rid of enemies (simply sending them back in time) it could be confusing.

The best I could figure, doing the math, is that the angel sent Rory and Amy to NYC in 1880ish.

The angel couldn't have sent them that far back or the Melody Malone book would never have been published. It would make more sense to have sent them back to 1938, which is when the angel first sent Rory back to prior to his creating the paradox. That would have put their natural deaths sometime in the 1990s which would still have been well before their NYC visit with the Doctor in current time.

I think David Tennant's doctor was more emotional at the end of his run when he was saying goodbye. That one made me more teary than the Ponds' goodbye.

:iagree: No doubt! Between his tearful goodbye with Rose and his last goodbye, I cry buckets every time I watch the DT episodes. I only cried a little bit the first with the Pond's and not at all the 2nd time I watched it.

Really?? I thought it was 1930s? What did I miss?

I liked the episode. The ending was a bit abrupt, but other than that it was good. And I'm glad River was there.

I still cried through the last part.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who cried.

SPOILERS!!!

It wasn't made clear whether the place Amy and Rory went was just as bad as it was in the beginning or somehow made better after they tried to change the paradox.:confused:

Thoughts?

In the afterword, Amy says she had a good life, so that makes me think it was better.

Am I the only one that thought the doctor was shown as a bit too human at the end of episode 5?

DT's goodbye to Rose was quite emotional. And in The End of Time, he didn't want to go.

:iagree:I just think Tennant is an overall better actor than Matt Smith and had a much better developed character. Matt Smith is likeable as the absent-minded professor, but the depth and complexity of the Dr.'s emotions was a far more interesting acting choice while Tennant was the Doctor and he had a better stage presence. There are some rumors that both Eccleston and Tennant will be back for the 50th anniversary of the Dr., and I am so hoping they are true!!:D

I saved the last one for when the kids could watch with us and we only finally got to it yesterday. I do love River. Not bad. I'll miss Rory though.

I am also eager to get rid of the Ponds. But as for Oswin, perhaps she'll be Genny, and pull a "Romana" (from the Key to Time) and choose her regenerated form to honor the fallen Oswin.

I always thought that was silly how Romana did that. But I like the idea of Genny coming back. I saw this theory somewhere else, I think, but I feel like it's unlikely...

As for "the question" - Doctor Who? - I actually think they won't bother coming back to it, at least not in any serious way. Moffatt's actually been sticking this question in every which where in his episodes for ages. Remember The Girl in the Fireplace - she asked him that same question. I remember way back when I used to read the now defunct Outpost Gallifrey forums that people were all over it and the man himself chimed in and was really dismissive about it. I'm convinced it's all just a sort of red herring to add mystery to the character and increase the sense of him as the lonely god.

:iagree:I just think Tennant is an overall better actor than Matt Smith and had a much better developed character. Matt Smith is likeable as the absent-minded professor, but the depth and complexity of the Dr.'s emotions was a far more interesting acting choice while Tennant was the Doctor and he had a better stage presence. There are some rumors that both Eccleston and Tennant will be back for the 50th anniversary of the Dr., and I am so hoping they are true!!:D

Tennant's clearly the superior actor and did so much with the character, but his endings always made me nuts. So overdone. I don't really blame his acting, more the swelling music and the lingering camera. I actually liked Matt Smith's quieter grief.

The angel couldn't have sent them that far back or the Melody Malone book would never have been published. It would make more sense to have sent them back to 1938, which is when the angel first sent Rory back to prior to his creating the paradox. That would have put their natural deaths sometime in the 1990s which would still have been well before their NYC visit with the Doctor in current time.

Really?? I thought it was 1930s? What did I miss?

I liked the episode. The ending was a bit abrupt, but other than that it was good. And I'm glad River was there.

I must have missed something then. Never mind me and my shoddy math.

Tennant's clearly the superior actor and did so much with the character, but his endings always made me nuts. So overdone. I don't really blame his acting, more the swelling music and the lingering camera. I actually liked Matt Smith's quieter grief.

My dh agrees with this completely. Tennant's goodbye always gets tears from my daughter and I but dh just gets annoyed. He really hates the "I don't want to go" line. dh says it was Tennant's choice to leave the show so that is just a cheap shot at pulling heart strings. (I think he's just upset about David T leaving :tongue_smilie: )

My dh agrees with this completely. Tennant's goodbye always gets tears from my daughter and I but dh just gets annoyed. He really hates the "I don't want to go" line. dh says it was Tennant's choice to leave the show so that is just a cheap shot at pulling heart strings. (I think he's just upset about David T leaving :tongue_smilie: )

It is a bit like a dramatic teenager on the phone, right? "You hang up!" "No, you!" "No, I don't want to!" "No, you hang up!" I really don't blame his acting though. I blame the directing. If they just hadn't overplayed it for so long... Oh well. Onto the next companions.

Per Moffat, the new companion, whom we officially meet in December, is named Clara Oswin. There's a ton of speculation on the net and fan pages as to how Clara Oswin and Oswin Oswald tie together since both are played by the same actress.

Will they do a Martha thing and make Clara a relative to Oswin, or will Oswin be like Donna when she forgot about the Doctor?

Thanks for clarifying. That will bug me if they make her a whole other person like a relative, but that seems the most likely explanation.

DD and I were talking today about how she could have possibly survived the Dalek episode, and DD said that the Daleks had that thing they did when they were about to be destroyed, an emergency temporal shift, where they escaped in time. DD said maybe Oswin did that. I didn't think that was a bad explanation!

Though, I know I will probably end up liking her eventually. I like Martha, but after the very emotional end to Season 2, I just couldn't love her. She is still my least favorite companion.

I think the key to liking Martha lies in the Torchwood episodes she appears in.

Ooh, these spoilers are killing me! We're a few episodes behind!

Rosie

There are some rumors that both Eccleston and Tennant will be back for the 50th anniversary of the Dr., and I am so hoping they are true!!:D

Eccleston insists he won't have anything to do with The Doctor anymore. He left on not good terms and doesn't want to come back. Who knows though. Maybe he has his price, and maybe they're willing to pay it.

My dd just showed me this a while ago. She said it was a scene that they had written for the last show, but did not put in after all. Whether that is right or not, I don't know, but it was neat. :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00zn6ff

I saw that on facebook. Don't know if it's true or not, but I enjoyed it anyway.