Menu

What does VSL mean?

For some reason, I can't open the other thread you linked, but Upside Down Brilliance: The Visual-Spatial Learner, by Silverman, is the best book I've ever read on the topic.

I'm a VSL, and I've got a house full of VSL kiddos, one of whom is dyslexic, which is pretty common. We see things so differently than my DH. It affects everything I teach and everything they learn. I guess one of the main points would be that we tend to like the whole picture of whatever we're learning first, and then we can go back and learn the pieces. It's more of a "whole-to-parts" learning rather than "parts-to-whole." We're very visual, but she talks in the book about some VSL's who are less so, though it's rather rare.

I found this site helpful when first looking into VSL. My son is a very definite VSL.

I just opened the link. I am in awe. There is no doubt about it. I've been wondering what VSL has meant for so long... wish I had asked earlier.. like two years ago :001_huh:

So now what do I do with this information? I better start reading up.

For some reason, I can't open the other thread you linked, but Upside Down Brilliance: The Visual-Spatial Learner, by Silverman, is the best book I've ever read on the topic.

I'm a VSL, and I've got a house full of VSL kiddos, one of whom is dyslexic, which is pretty common. We see things so differently than my DH. It affects everything I teach and everything they learn. I guess one of the main points would be that we tend to like the whole picture of whatever we're learning first, and then we can go back and learn the pieces. It's more of a "whole-to-parts" learning rather than "parts-to-whole." We're very visual, but she talks in the book about some VSL's who are less so, though it's rather rare.

:iagree::iagree: both on Upside Down Brilliance (worth putting on hold at your library) and the whole-to-parts angle, which IMO is often at least as important as focusing on visual presentations of information.

I found this site helpful when first looking into VSL. My son is a very definite VSL.

:iagree: see the articles tab on that site

See also Freed's Right Brained Children, and to a certain extent, the Eides' The Dyslexic Advantage (my kids are not dyslexic but majorly VSL and do have processing styles as described in this book)