Menu

Hypoglycemic symptoms when sugar isn't too low?

Taking cinnamon capsules with every meal is making a huge difference for me in managing my borderline diabetes issues. My sugars have gone from being borderline diabetic (in the 120's two hours post-prandial) to in the 90's. Tonight after dinner (with cinnamon capsules), followed by an hour of kickboxing, my blood sugar went down to 83. I was clammy, sick to my stomach and shaky. I know that 83 really isn't that low, though. I ate something and felt better. But my question is, if I hadn't eaten something, would my body have continued to act hypoglycemic even at a blood sugar level that isn't technically hypoglycemia?

Yes, I think so. Your body doesn't know the numbers. How you feel is most important. Two thoughts:

1) There is a margin of error with all meters. You could have been a bit lower than the meter read.

2) If your glucose has been too high for a while, which I actually doubt based on what you've said, then you may actually feel symptoms of low blood glucose at a higher reading than you usually would. Kind of like the high in proportion to the low was the same just on a slightly higher scale. Does that make any sense? It happens to dd every once in a while that she feels low even though she doesn't test low. We treat it according to how she feels.

Great job on keeping such tight control!

Could it possibly have been low electrolites? (Thinking of the kick boxing.) That makes me feel like crud too.

Could be. I was drinking electrolytes with my water too afterward and it might take a while to kick in.

While my sugars were pretty good most of the time, I did have spikes after carby meals where it would get up in the 150's though, so my body might have gotten used to being at a higher level.

Could be. I was drinking electrolytes with my water too afterward and it might take a while to kick in.

While my sugars were pretty good most of the time, I did have spikes after carby meals where it would get up in the 150's though, so my body might have gotten used to being at a higher level.

Yeah, it usually happens for my dd when she's been really high, like 300's for a while and then comes down close to normal. 150 might be really high for you, though, and your body really felt the change. Or it could have been the exercise.