Menu

What homeschool books would you choose for your public library?

Our library has several hundred dollars to spend on books for a new homeschool section. The nice part is that I get to suggest most of the books. Some of my choices so far:

A Charlotte Mason Companion

WTM

Story of the World series

Setting the Records Straight

Phonics Pathways

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

Art in Story

Nebel science book

Games for Math

I am trying to span K-12. Ordering is limited to what can be bought through Barnes & Noble.:glare:

Suggestions, please.

Rebecca Rupp's book

Ed Zaccaro's books

The Writer's Jungle

Peggy Kaye's books

Usborne history and science encyclopedias

the other history spines - CHOW, Builders of the Old World, Little History of the World, etc.

The Core

The Unschooling Handbook

Free-Range Learning

There's more, I'm sure... Do you want more things like the encyclopedias and spines or more things like how to homeschool?

Our library has the Cathy Duffy Top 100 picks and it is well-used (I've run into waiting through a couple of holds for it).

Our library also has Creative Homeschooling by Lisa Rivero, which I found to be very good as well.

Both are great for people considering homeschooling to get an idea of what stuff is out there/what styles there are.

A combination.

My biggest challenge seems to be the B&N limitation. They have nowhere near the selection of amazon.

Keep the suggestions coming!

There was awhile when I was ordering from B&N - I would search on Amazon and then enter the ISBN number on B&N because B&N's search wouldn't turn up the book, especially if the title was comprised of common words. So, for example, I might search for something called "The World of Water" (I just made that up) and the book actually called that would not come up on a B&N search on the first three pages or so, but they would actually carry the book. Bizarre, right?

My biggest challenge seems to be the B&N limitation. They have nowhere near the selection of amazon.

I have actually found they carry many books Amazon does not! Funny. And Usborne doesn't allow Amazon to carry their stuff anymore. Barnes & Noble shows them on their site, it seems.

Btw I think there are better CM books than Levinson's. I do not care for that book at all (recommending books she's never read?) and I don't think it provides enough information to be useful.

* Micki Colfax's two homeschooling memoirs

* Gymboree's Baby Play and Toddler Play

* Trish Kuffner's Toddler's Busy Book and Preschool's Busy Book

* Elizabeth G. Hainstock's Montessori at home books

* E.D. Hirsch's Books to Build On

* Ruth Beechick's stuff?

* The E.D. Hirsch Core Knowledge grade-level books?

There was awhile when I was ordering from B&N - I would search on Amazon and then enter the ISBN number on B&N because B&N's search wouldn't turn up the book, especially if the title was comprised of common words.

Brilliant suggestion, thank you. It's working for a few of the books I couldn't find earlier (including Zaccaro's books, because I searched for Ed not Edward:glare:).

We have ~$750. We already have a few of the suggested titles, and I'd like to get a variety that would appeal to a range of hsers.

More suggestions, anyone?

Our library carries even Hooked on Phonics. I was surprised by that. But other things I'm looking for, I can't find (ie anything Usborne).

Usborne books doesn't sell thru Amazon any longer. School and library accounts can only be ordered thru the Usborne Educational Consultants and many libraries either have not found a consultant, or don't know that they can order the books but must find a way outside of their usual jobbers. I became an Usborne Consultant just so our local library would/could order the books.