Menu

Need some advice.....Not sure where to start my 3rd Grader!!!

Guest NikPaz

I'm a new homeschooling mom. Our son is )technically in the 3rd grade this year. However, I've started him in some level 1 curriculum in order to fill in some "gaps" I've noticed he has in Math and Lang/Grammar. I'm looking for any advice as to whether or not I'm on the right track or if I'm playing it too "safe" and should bump him up to a higher level in some subjects. ANY advice would be appreciated! :)

Math: Last year (when he was in school) he used Saxon 3 and did very well (according to his test grades). However when I did homework with him, I noticed he would figure problems out in an odd way and he'd have trouble logically understanding what the word problems wanted him to do. This year, we're homeschooling (for the 1st time). For Math we're using Math U See. I had him take the placement tests for Alpha, Beta, Delta, and Gamma. He was able to complete most of the first page of each of the tests, but would get stuck on the word problems. So I decided to start with the Alpha book and just quickly go through it to see where his "gaps" were. We're flying through it (already in Unit 2), but he'll still occasionally get stuck on word problems because he doesn't understand what it's asking him to do. Overall, the book is SO EASY for him and I'm wondering if I should just move up to Beta (or even Delta - his grade level) or if I should just go through the Saxon 2 Math again with him. He's a very visual learner, which is why I chose Math U See, but it seems so SLOW. Any advice???

Lang/Grammar/Writing: I'm using FLL and WWE. I bought Level 1 and 2 for FLL and Level 1 for WWE (My son is at a level 2 reading level and struggles with reading comprehension). I started him in level 1 because he couldn't tell me what a common and a proper noun was. He used Shirley Grammar in his school last year, but he never kept up with the class lessons and somewhere, he fell behind. So we're starting from the beginning. However, he got the concept of C&P Nouns quickly, so we're flying through that book as well (mostly using it as review - we're on lesson 40 already). The Level 1 book for WWE seems repetitious with what we're doing in FLL and the work seems a bit easy. However, my son can't write a logically complete sentence or write a summary of what a story was about, so I thought starting him from Level 1 would be good. But it just seems to be busy work and not challenging at all. Should I just move him up to the WWE Level 3?

NOTE: We're into our 3rd week of school so far. My original goal was to work through Alpha & Beta this school year, continue with Delta through the summer and be in Gamma by his next school year (4th grade). And with FLL and WWE, I planned on completing Levels 1&2 this year, continue with Level 3 through the summer and start at level 4 next school year (4th grade).

History: We're using Story of the World. We've started with the first book (Ancients). However, my son learned all about the Egyptains last year, so I'm wondering if I should have just bought the Modern Time set instead and just stayed with the set that goes with his grade level. Has anyone started with this curriculum midway?? Does it matter??

Other Subjects: Does anyone have an opinion on teaching Geography (ie: http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Geography-Practice-Grade-3/dp/1557999724/ref=cm_lmf_tit_10)

or Logic (ie: "Logic Countdown")???

I found this Grade 3 curriculum list on amazon and I'm questioning alot of the curriculum I bought: http://www.amazon.com/3rd-Grade-Classical-homeschooling-Curriculum/lm/R1CM2RRA0QUU2R/ref=cm_srch_res_rpli_alt_3

Sorry, I know this is a LONG post. I'm brand new to homeschooling and I'm just looking for any comments or suggestions. THANKS! :)

I have a 3rd grader too. Gamma is 3rd grade multiplication. If he can easily do Alpha, I'd move him to Beta, let him use the blocks so he can "see" math. Especially with the story problems it will help him to see "Susie has 3 apples and Joey takes 1 apple. How many apples are left?". Once he gets more comfortable with it he'll likely need the blocks less and less. Have him tell you how to do the math in each chapter; when he can, move on. I would go at his pace, which may be different for each chapter.

We're using Rod & Staff English 2 this year. I feel no need to push quicker than that. I know some do, I don't.

I've never used SOTW. However, I know many love it.

ETA: Your geography and logic look fine to me. It's your first year. Take it slow and steady.

ETA again: For reading comp, I prefer having the child tell back the story, chapter, paragraph to me. I think they organize their thoughts better when done verbally. Once they are proficient at oral narration I move to short written narration, just a sentence or two at first.

Edited by raceNzanesmom

See if your library has a copy of WTM. That'll probably help a lot.

I would imagine his issue with the word problems in math would be related to his reading comprehension. You might consider really focusing on reading, both you to him and him to you. Immerse him in good books.

I've heard that FLL can be jumped into at level 2/3. I'm sure it reviews what was done in previous years. The same with WWE 2. My understanding is that level 3 of both ramps it up a bit. You may consider quickly running through level 2, but level 1 is probably too remedial.

Take all of that with a grain of salt, though. My oldest is 6. :D

I would put him where he belongs in math and supplement with something that's specifically for word problems - probably Singapore's Challenging Word Problems. Start with grade one. We do them a year behind grade level.

No thoughts on language arts - we took a different route.

But for SOTW, I would just continue with it and go light on the Egyptians. If he's really had enough of them, just read the chapters and do the map activities and whatever else you're doing (the narrations, probably?) and then move on - no extra books or projects.

If you do the map activities for SOTW, I think that's plenty for geography. However, you could add in something workbooky like Evan-Moor's Daily Geography. Or some people may have some other suggestions.

Saxon is hands on Math too. We tried MUS and it did NOT work at all for us. We switched to Saxon. There are other hands on Maths too. If Saxon was working, i would stay with it but start in the book where he has trouble.

We are suppose to use SOTW but havent started yet. Im sorry i cant offer more advice on that. Maybe pick a different activity to do the Egyptians than what the book suggests?

I would put him where he belongs in math and supplement with something that's specifically for word problems - probably Singapore's Challenging Word Problems. Start with grade one. We do them a year behind grade level.

:iagree:

If word problems are his only major gap, I'd place him where he needs to be otherwise and just supplement word problems. Go through these with him, over and over and over - every day. Draw pictures. Learn the Singapore bar model method.

Warning: The Challenging sections are really challenging. It's OK to work together on them as the goal is to teach him *how* to work them, and not to quiz him. kwim.

I found this Grade 3 curriculum list on amazon and I'm questioning alot of the curriculum I bought: http://www.amazon.com/3rd-Grade-Classical-homeschooling-Curriculum/lm/R1CM2RRA0QUU2R/ref=cm_srch_res_rpli_alt_3

Just adding... Don't worry about this. Really. This is the list of ONE homeschooler, who has likely been doing this straight through. Her kid is a little ahead in math (Saxon 4). And has been doing the previous levels of SOTW and FLL and so forth already. You have plenty of time to catch up - it's more important to lay the groundwork and do things right. There's not one right math curricula - you'll find people here use many different things.

The encyclopedias she lists are nice resources. If you have extra money on hand, I might get them, but otherwise don't worry - they're really supplemental mostly. Logic Countdown is a fun little workbook - my third graders are doing it. But it's purely supplemental and there are other options that are equally fine. Her child is doing Latin, but yours might not be - many classical homeschoolers do and many do not. The rest is art and religious subjects, which is pretty subjective what you should be covering when and how. Many of us don't use a formal curricula for them. We've been covering arts as they come up through history and I like that approach more than something that introduces a different artist every week or the like.

If you look at the signatures here or find some of the "What are you doing for third grade?" old threads, then you'll see there's a huge range of things and the things you mention doing are well within that range, so don't freak out. :001_smile:

It seems like word problems are his only shortfall in math, so I would start just having him take the tests in Alpha. When he can't ace one, work on that section. Then move on to Beta and do the same thing. Gamma is the 3rd book, so that's what you would do after Beta. It's all multiplication.

First Language Lessons has a LOT of review. I would start skipping some of the review of things he's got down pat. I would recommend doing all the poetry memorization.

For Writing With Ease I would recommend probably sticking with where he is now. It's a little slow, but he will get valuable skills. I would hesitate moving him up to Book 3, because its quite a bit harder. Most 3rd graders who haven't worked up to it through 1&2 would have a hard time just jumping in. Book 4 is much, much harder.

Most of the curriculum you've chosen really isn't based on grade level, its based on ability. You know your child best, so go according to that and don't worry about the numbers on the books, especially for Story of the World. I wouldn't want to skip the first 3 books and jump into Modern Times, partially because its a dark book and a violent time. Its nice to have a little bit of age before getting into it. If he's bored with the Egyptians, skip those chapters or read them and don't do any extra work on them.

All of this is a really long way of saying, don't make any changes just yet. Accelerate, sure, but you really want to hold off on making too many changes too soon.

WOW! I am completely overwhelmed (in a great way) by all your responses, advice, suggestions and experience! Thank you all SO much! I think I will buying the next level in Math, and I'm going to look into some of the supplemental curriculum that was suggested (ie: Singapore's Challenging Word Problems and Bar Method). These seem very helpful! Thank you!!!

No thoughts on language arts - we took a different route.

But for SOTW, I would just continue with it and go light on the Egyptians. If he's really had enough of them, just read the chapters and do the map activities and whatever else you're doing (the narrations, probably?) and then move on - no extra books or projects.

If you do the map activities for SOTW, I think that's plenty for geography. However, you could add in something workbooky like Evan-Moor's Daily Geography. Or some people may have some other suggestions.

:iagree:

If this is your first year, don't worry if you don't get to some things. Even SWB says to drop history and science and focus on the core subjects first.

We started in 3rd grade, and found lots of holes to fill in. I was trying to do it all and almost burned out.

Just focus on Math and Reading Comp these first few months. It is enough. Math took us 2 years to finally figure out. We finally have our math figured out (We use Teaching Textbooks as a spine with Life of Fred and Beast Academy on the side (as you have a son, I highly recommend LOF, my son is constantly laughing with that)) LOF also has word problems, it can be like one long word problem.

Also, what manipulatives do you have? Get some, and play. There is no point pushing ahead with Math. If your child does not get the basic add, subtract, and multiple forward, backward, and inside out he WILL struggle later. It is worth taking the time and catching that up.

We tried WWE/FLL our first year and it was too much. Now, 2 years later he is plugging through WWS and R&S grammar just fine. I got the MCT Grammar Island, and we just read through that a few times over the year. I found it was good to start looking at Grammar.

Take it slow, you can do it, just don't pile that plate to high, and do not be afraid to go back levels and fill in In the long run they will move ahead more quickly if they spent time getting solid in the basics.

Spend lots of time reading. Get either the Jim Trealease Read Aloud handbook or Honey for a child's heart from your library. They are both good about why and how to do read alouds with older kids.

Science, honestly can be on DVD from the library your first year. Magic School bus, Popular mechanics for kids, all sorts of other dvd's and different animals etc...