Menu

How do you show grace towards yourself?

Ok...I will try...

I am learning to be nice to myself and treat myself the way I treat others.

I am quick to forgive myself when I make a mistake.

I have learned to laugh at myself ...but in a good way.

I have learned I can not fix the world...I can not fix my husband or kids or even all of their problems....but I can help them if they want me to, and I can also say no, if I do not want to.

I have learned to put myself not necessarily first, but not last either...I am important too.

I have learned that the world will not stop spinning if I am not perfect.

Therefore, if I screw up, I screw up. I do the best I can to make amends, do what I can to right the wrong, but not torture myself over it. I know I am not a malicious or manipulative person, therefore, if I hurt someone's feelings, or offend them, it is not due to meanness on my part, but either an error in judgement or a mistake. I can apologize, but I will not kick my own @ss anymore. I will drop it. If someone else can not, that becomes their problem....and I can not fix everything.

I allow myself some time to be me. I allow myself some time to think, to read, to exercise, to do things I LIKE doing.

I have learned to forgive myself. Jesus has forgiven me of my sins....if I do not forgive myself, what was the point of His sacrifice? By forgiving myself, I have found I can be very tolerant and loving toward others. By showing grace to myself, I have learned what it means to truly extend it to someone else...

Anyway, those are some rambling thoughts on your question....I have been pondering that question for a while myself.

Hope you get some other input...

~~faithe

Ok...I will try...

I have learned I can not fix the world...I can not fix my husband or kids or even all of their problems....but I can help them if they want me to, and I can also say no, if I do not want to.

I have learned to put myself not necessarily first, but not last either...I am important too.

Therefore, if I screw up, I screw up. I do the best I can to make amends, do what I can to right the wrong, but not torture myself over it. I know I am not a malicious or manipulative person, therefore, if I hurt someone's feelings, or offend them, it is not due to meanness on my part, but either an error in judgement or a mistake. I can apologize, but I will not kick my own @ss anymore. I will drop it. If someone else can not, that becomes their problem....and I can not fix everything.

I allow myself some time to be me. I allow myself some time to think, to read, to exercise, to do things I LIKE doing.

I have learned to forgive myself. Jesus has forgiven me of my sins....if I do not forgive myself, what was the point of His sacrifice? By forgiving myself, I have found I can be very tolerant and loving toward others. By showing grace to myself, I have learned what it means to truly extend it to someone else...

Anyway, those are some rambling thoughts on your question....I have been pondering that question for a while myself.

~~faithe

Thank you so much, faithe.

:iagree:

Ok...I will try...

~~faithe

Love Faithe's list.

I show grace toward myself by:

quit comparing my failures to everyone else's success

knowing no one is perfect

recognizing the seasons in my life as not being permanent (working on this)

remembering what week of the month it is (I get really low at least a few days each month)

by getting enough sleep

by emotionally and physically checking out for the evening if I need to. (I will sometimes cook dinner, tell everyone I'm going to go read in bed and do that)

by delegating

by apologizing to those I love (and some people I don't) if I need to

by remembering I am the adult and the parent and sometimes I have to make the tough call

by learning to let go

Edited by elegantlion

Faith and Elegant Lion have said it pretty well. Their lists are pretty much the same as mine. It's not something I do easily. I especially have trouble with the things I see as 'mistakes'. Even though most of the time they are beyond my control. So, I suppose I have issues with letting go of the idea that I can control everything.

On a more practical note.....currently I'm focusing on not beating myself up about going to the ER yesterday and spending $100 to have an Xray that revealed I had not broken my arm after falling down our very steep stairs.

Also not beating myself up about not being up to full school schedule yet. We started last week and had some history catching up to do.

And, forgiving myself that we completely forgot we said we would help witht he 4H booth at the farmer's market this past Sat. Oops!

It's really a process and I find I seem to give myself soo many opportunities to practice!

I had a friend who once said, "speak to yourself kindly, like you would to a friend."

It helped me listen to my inner voice and realize that I talk to myself in a way I'd NEVER talk to a friend. I forget something? "You're so irresponsible, why can't you remember to do what you planned, what is wrong with you, etc." A friend forgets something? "That's okay, we all forget sometimes." And on and on. It was crazy, the discrepancy! So I started trying to STOP speaking to myself unkindly and instead to grant myself the same grace I would a dear friend.

Well, I was going to post about this in another thread and see what folks thought, but this seems like a better place for it. I'm working on a "Menopause Schedule". One week out of the month; my ultra-WITCHY week, we are going to follow a different schedule than the other 3 weeks. Here it is:

Literature: The girls will pick a book to read and we'll discuss/write following Teaching the Classics.

History: Watch a movie/documentary

Math: LOF for a change of pace

Latin: Games to review vocabulary, grammar rules we've learned so far

Science: Another movie!

The rest of the time: rabbit trails or projects they pick.

That's it! Not only am I showing grace to myself by acknowledging my limitations, but I'm showing grace to my girls. During this week, we all end up in tears at least once. Since most of our week will be spent curled up with a book or watching a movie, I'm hopeful this will help. I'll let you know in 3 weeks. (Last week was the dreaded one. :glare:)

Good luck to you!