Menu

Another take on having "too many" extracirriculars

I've been thinking a lot about this since the string of "what is too many/too much" thread when it comes to extra/evening activities and the suggestions that schoolwork may be suffering.

For our family (and ymmv), we actually get MORE schoolwork done having an activity EVERY night of the week + Sunday.

I am the worlds biggest procrastinator. Knowing we HAVE to be done with school by XX b/c otherwise we will be late for dance/baton/choir/bible school/etc is a HUGE motivator for me and my girls.

This FORCES me to work through the rough patches (crankiness, baby is whiny, etc) when otherwise I would say "we'll finish later" or "we'll catch up tomorrow". When there is no "later" or "tomorrow", you push through and make it work, kwim?

So, the point of this thread - if there is one ;) - is that if you happen to be behind b/c you are a PROCRASTINATOR (been there!), you might actually BENEFIT from adding a few commitments (and outside structure) to your schedule.

It has done wonders for us!

For our family (and ymmv), we actually get MORE schoolwork done having an activity EVERY night of the week + Sunday.
We do too. It gets the kids motivated to get everything done.

I NEED to get out of the house every day. I am so much happier and more energetic when I do. I also want to provide as many social outlets as I can.

I hate to admit it, but I do too.

I NEED to get out of the house every day. I am so much happier and more energetic when I do. I also want to provide as many social outlets as I can. Some of DD's best friends take a few of the same classes she does, so she gets to see them.

:iagree: I think part of it for me isn't just that I want to PROVIDE social outlets, but they *I* also need them. I don't need to go out for hours, but even a little chatter with another mom at drop off/pick up can make a huge difference in my day!

Last year we were new to the area and it was SOOOOO hard for me being isolated at home all day. I love my kids to death - but my 3 little ones weren't really giving me stimulating conversation - and my dh was kind of busy "proving " himself at work (plus, he's not the conversation type)

**I** do better and thrive when we get out. I do my hair, put on some make up, feel better about myself all around which leads to a happier mom and a more effective teacher! :001_smile:

We do too. It gets the kids motivated to get everything done.

I hate to admit it, but I do too.

I don't think there's anything wrong with admitting it. Humans are naturally social creatures. There are always outliers who don't fit the mold, but most people need to interact with others in order to be happy.

My kids had a lot of activities and they knew we didn't go unless the work was done. When they were young they both had gymnastics and another activity at the same time (different groups because of ages). I did have to threaten one sitting in the car throughout the activity. I do recall my ds finishing a workbook assignment on the way once or twice.

Yes, a daily deadline worked for us too.

That isn't so for us and I was one who commented on the too many extras. I really didn't mean anything negative towards those who feel completely different though! Just wanted to add that. ;)

Well, it kind of isn't true for us. I posted on another thread yesterday that having extras every night (or almost every night) does us in. I'd always read that in high school it's best to have everything during afterschool hours. Having an activity most nights of the week makes us all tired and hard to get started in the morning---which is a real problem when your school day has to end by ____ so you can get where you need to be. Then by the time we were home, there's no way we'd be able to do schoolwork.

This fall most extras are in the morning. For us, that works much better. I have nights to wind down and we can work on school for the rest of the day without feeling rushed to be somewhere.

We still have night time activities several times a month, which is fine. This summer we were out almost every night and I've never felt so stressed in my life! And that was without school!

Another strange benefit for me is that we seem to have the best conversations in the car on our way to the activities.

And books on CD are perfect for car-time. I actually enjoy them more than always having to be the one reading, because I can sit and laugh at the story (or cry - Charlotte just died, all alone).

I have one child who thrives on being busy. She is very responsible with her schoolwork and commitments.

My gang love the business as well.

I am finding this to be true for us as well, DS needs to get out for at least a little while everyday, even if it is just a walk to the nearby store for an ice tea in mid afternoon.

We are currently doing a standing playdate once a week, teen night at the library on Thursday nights, art class Saturday morning, and are going to start swim lessons twice a week.

This wears me out, but it means we have an outside schedule to plan our school around, and knowing he has to be done before we can go really helps motivate him!

That's a really good point! And thanks, I needed that just about now!

My kids are in school and I'm a working mom. This is the first year that all my kids' extras are in the evenings (they used to be mostly at their daycare - awesome arrangement!!). They also have homework/test prep, piano practice, and therapy. Plus I still like to do a little afterschooling when I can fit it in.

So we make the most of our time in the car, hustle to get started and keep going on piano practice, and generally run a pretty regimented operation most days. I can see how this actually reduces the overall stress level. Plus, my kids need those physical outlets. For one kid, the activity is needed to keep her sane and focused for learning.