Menu

Lets talk about elementary science programs

bttrflyvld

The thing I love about homeschooling it that amazing selections you have to choose from. When I start looking into all the options a single subject has my mind starts to shut off from being overwhelmed. lol. There truly is some amazing options out there.

So what have been your favorite science curriculum for grades k-6?

What did you like about it?

And anything else you thought worth sharing about them?

We are going with a largely untalked-about option for science this year. We're using the ACSI Purposeful Design student textbook (which is more of a science reader than anything, lightly covering a range of topics from mammals to fish to our 5 senses).

Basically, I use the book as an outline. For whatever topic we are reading about, I check out dvds and books from the library, supplement with our kid encyclopedias. We add crafts and experiments when it's appropriate. There actually are some hands-on activities in the science book (i.e. studying salt vs. fresh water, testing the insulation of a thermos and comparing it to whale blubber) ... so if we are having a slack week (and I haven't done my homework) we can just follow the book and call it done.

FYI: we cover one unit over 2 weeks span, doing science twice a week. I did NOT purchase the (incredibly expensive) teacher's guide... And I'm using this with 2 kiddos, but only my 1st grader can write so technically the book is hers (the book is almost like a collection of worksheets, very colorful with lots of pictures, with places to complete drawings or answer questions).

We are also only using this program for a couple of years, until my youngest DD is big enough to follow along with a more in-depth science program.

I am interested in this, too. Right now we're doing BFSU, and next year I'm thinking of starting the REAL Science Odyssey from Pandia Press. But I'm not totally married to that: they seem kind of busy.

Would people who respond with suggestions mind mentioning whether the science courses you're recommending are religious or even mention God at all? Some of them are pretty obvious by their titles, but others seem to prefer not to mention either way.

I haven't personally found that any of the options seem amazing, actually. I like some of the things about BFSU, but I ended up making my own using living books and lots of experiments and some notebooking.

I will plug yet again the books I'm totally obsessed with - The Boston Children's Museum Activity books by Bernie Zubrowski. Great, great books. Other things are good and useful, but nothing else compares.

I haven't personally found that any of the options seem amazing, actually. I like some of the things about BFSU, but I ended up making my own using living books and lots of experiments and some notebooking.

I will plug yet again the books I'm totally obsessed with - The Boston Children's Museum Activity books by Bernie Zubrowski. Great, great books. Other things are good and useful, but nothing else compares.

This one?

http://www.amazon.com/Blinkers-Buzzers-Boston-Childrens-Activity/dp/0688099653

Yeah, none of the science options really knock me over, the way I've found curricula in other subjects that make me think "wow, I wish someone had taught me this!"

This one?

http://www.amazon.com/Blinkers-Buzzers-Boston-Childrens-Activity/dp/0688099653

Yeah, none of the science options really knock me over, the way I've found curricula in other subjects that make me think "wow, I wish someone had taught me this!"

I have that one. It's good. My favorite is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Mirrors-Finding-Properties-Childrens-Activity/dp/0688105912/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1347926808&sr=8-14&keywords=boston+children%27s+museum+activity+books

But this one is good too:

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Boston-Childrens-Museum-Activity/dp/0688117880/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1347926808&sr=8-8&keywords=boston+children%27s+museum+activity+books

Actually, they're all awesome. :D Warning though, the prep time is insane for many of the activities. So if anyone is the sort of person who finds setting up for a baking soda volcano to be onerous, forget it.

We are going with a largely untalked-about option for science this year. We're using the ACSI Purposeful Design student textbook (which is more of a science reader than anything, lightly covering a range of topics from mammals to fish to our 5 senses).

We had this for 1st grade and I really liked it. Great colorful student workbook.

Last year we used Nancy Larson 1. Dd was waaaaayyy too old for it even though they assured me she could start at that level. Had we been in a more appropriate level I maybe could be positive about it.

This year we are using Real Science Odyssey and it looks like it will be a fun year.

I have that one. It's good. My favorite is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Mirrors-Finding-Properties-Childrens-Activity/dp/0688105912/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1347926808&sr=8-14&keywords=boston+children%27s+museum+activity+books

But this one is good too:

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Boston-Childrens-Museum-Activity/dp/0688117880/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1347926808&sr=8-8&keywords=boston+children%27s+museum+activity+books

Actually, they're all awesome. :D Warning though, the prep time is insane for many of the activities. So if anyone is the sort of person who finds setting up for a baking soda volcano to be onerous, forget it.

That looks like a great series, thanks! Too bad it looks like it's out of print... we're members at the Children's Museum so I could get them for 10% off at the book store! :lol:

That looks like a great series, thanks! Too bad it looks like it's out of print... we're members at the Children's Museum so I could get them for 10% off at the book store! :lol:

I found most of them for a few bucks, used. I am intending (hoping?) to do them this year. I appear to be running two years behind Farrar.

I found some old Canadian textbooks in a series called Examining Your Environment that are pretty cool. I aspire to do them one day too.

I found most of them for a few bucks, used. I am intending (hoping?) to do them this year. I appear to be running two years behind Farrar.

We didn't get to all of them though. And we did them when my kids were fairly young, so I'd like to do them again in a couple of years and do even more of the stuff from them.