Menu

Loose skin after significant weight loss............

Several posters mentioned loose skin in my other thread.

I want to make sure I understand. I would have guessed the excess skin will be a factor regardless of how the weight is lost. Yes?

Does anyone know what the ballpark weight loss is where the removal of skin becomes a consideration? I have about 100 pounds to lose.

If you lose weight slowly you usually do not have the problems with loose skin.

I wonder if it is largely genetic and having to do with the elasticity of the skin. I gained and lost between 35 and 70 lbs with each of my full-term pgs. I have quite a bit of loose skin on my stomach after losing the weight over 8-12 months. My sister has the same thing even though she's only gained 40 (which was prescribed by her OB since she is very thin normally). We also have a lot of stretch marks. My mother, in contrast, has neither stretch marks nor loose skin.

I wonder if it is largely genetic and having to do with the elasticity of the skin. I gained and lost between 35 and 70 lbs with each of my full-term pgs. I have quite a bit of loose skin on my stomach after losing the weight over 8-12 months. My sister has the same thing even though she's only gained 40 (which was prescribed by her OB since she is very thin normally). We also have a lot of stretch marks. My mother, in contrast, has neither stretch marks nor loose skin.

:iagree:

I really think it depends on the individual in addition to the amount of weight lost. I am a small person (4-11), only ~20 lb overweight now, more or less back to my prepreg weight. My skin stretched so much during pregnancy, that even though I gained only the recommended amount, I still have that loose tummy skin like you see on some people who have lost drastic amounts of weight. On the other hand pregnancy ends in weight loss that does happen pretty fast so maybe pps are right about that part too.

In any case my bikini days are long gone.

Edited by jar7709

I have about 80 lbs to lose and will definitely have loose skin. I have loose skin right now. My body changed and my belly started hanging down lower (like I have a flap of skin already!) around the time I turned 38 or so. I think it is from age and that I had twins last that went full term (and probably genetics too). I have so many stretch marks from the twins. They were 6lbs 14oz and 7lbs 3oz, and I retained a lot of water for the last 2 months since they were pushing on my kidneys.

My mom lost around 100 lbs and needed skin removal from her abdomen. (She lost the weight through gastric bypass.)

My mom was 55. But, I don't think it mattered that much. She had a significant amount of skin removed. I want to say 7 lbs? That sounds about right. She got her booKs done, too. Separate surgeries.

I just saw my doc this morning and this topic came up....I'm in the weight loss process myself. She said there will be less loose skin if the loss is gradual ~ 1-2 #s a week. Folks who have gastric bypass and/or lose weight VERY quickly are more likely to have loose skin that may need to be removed surgically. Interesting info.

Several posters mentioned loose skin in my other thread.

I want to make sure I understand. I would have guessed the excess skin will be a factor regardless of how the weight is lost. Yes?

Does anyone know what the ballpark weight loss is where the removal of skin becomes a consideration? I have about 100 pounds to lose.

Joanne, I have lost a little more than that (115 lbs). I did it slowly, though, and with regular weight training. I believe that losing it slowly lets the body adjust. I think the weight training helps keep the muscles beneath the skin more toned and so it looks more supported. That's just my theory. I don't know what the science is on skin and weight loss. Just my experience.

While I have a bit more jiggle in my giggle than I'd like, I don't find it bothersome or terribly unattractive. I am almost 44. I was never going to be this age and not have some sagging.

I lost 125 pounds very slowly, but I was just noticing last night that my body looks like one of those shar-pei dogs (I think those are the ones with all the loose skin). I think for me it is partially age related. I sometimes day dream about having surgery to remove the excess skin but I don't like pain and I can't afford it anyway. I hate the fact that I'm finally close to being a normal weight for the first time in my life, but my body looks like carp because of all the loose skin. I could probably fly with my bat wing arms if I gave it a go.

My DH has a friend, and his wife had weight loss surgery. I've never met the guy or his wife. My DH tells me she's very short and lost 100+ pounds. Now this is the rude part, HER DH tells people she looks like a Shar Pei since she had the surgery. :001_huh:

I would think if you lose weight in a healthy way (slowly) your skin shouldn't be an issue because you are still young.

My DH has a friend, and his wife had weight loss surgery. I've never met the guy or his wife. My DH tells me she's very short and lost 100+ pounds. Now this is the rude part, HER DH tells people she looks like a Shar Pei since she had the surgery. :001_huh:

I would think if you lose weight in a healthy way (slowly) your skin shouldn't be an issue because you are still young.

Well, the two of them must be a real dog and pony show, then, because his comments make him look like a horse's a$$.

Bless his heart.