Menu

Mr. Q's Advanced Chemistry too advanced for my dd?

My dd is almost 12 but working a year behind in math (CLE 5). (she does not struggle in math, she made an A last year in CL4 doing the work almost independently. I was there for her, but she just didn't need my help much. We got behind a couple of years back due to my breast cancer and various other health issues.)

Would she be able to do this science program? She loves to cook and I think she would enjoy the style of his book as well.

Thanks,

RhondaM.

My kid's in Algebra 1 and having trouble with it. To be honest, it's a LOT of math. There are conversions and scientific notation together in chapter 3 and each chapter requires the student to think carefully about what is being asked and then doing the work. It's tough. My kid worked on chapter 4 for a good two hours yesterday.

I wouldn't say rule it out entirely, but know that you may get in over her head if it's not a good fit for this year.

My kid's in Algebra 1 and having trouble with it. To be honest, it's a LOT of math. There are conversions and scientific notation together in chapter 3 and each chapter requires the student to think carefully about what is being asked and then doing the work. It's tough. My kid worked on chapter 4 for a good two hours yesterday.

I wouldn't say rule it out entirely, but know that you may get in over her head if it's not a good fit for this year.

Thanks so much. I think we will wait until she has a bit more math.

RhondaM.

Tell me more about the cooking. We are gf in our house. Would that be a problem? Will that mess up the results of what is supposed to happen?

It might. Each lab has a specific demonstration it's trying to teach. The precision and accuracy lab was cookies, for example. The next was working with a cake batter to determine percent of error. They could be substituted, but you'd have to rewrite day 2 and 3 of the week.

Another option is to use the Good Eats books. We use these in conjunction with Mr. Q., but they could be used with any chemistry curriculum. I browse through and match up recipes or lessons (like a lesson on how ingredients in cake batter worked to go with the percent of error lab) and then we have the option of doing our own lab, improving the taste or composition of what the original lab was.

ThinkGeek.com also sells a molecular cuisine kit. It might be an option, too (if you don't live overseas :glare:) If I could stick that in my kid's curriculum he'd be absolutely thrilled.