Menu

Jann in TX (and anyone else) Foerster's and sequence question

I'm thinking ahead here.

We adopted the American math sequence after treading water with Singapore DM. Catherine does not like being poked and prodded into conceptual leaps. She wants what's expected to be spelled out, wants worked examples and then problems to practice. Math isn't her passion but she likes it and is good at it.

I choose Foerster for Algebra I and it's been just what she needed.

Now, I think we're supposed to go onto geometry next? But I think I saw a post by you Jann refering to going straight to Foerster's Algebra II because it's challenging and best to approach fresh from Algebra I. Feel free to slap me if I'm wrong.

If we're safe to go to geometry next year though...What do I use? I was thinking Geometry: A Guided Inquiry from Math Without Borders but I'm not sure it would fly with Catherine. She will likely want a similar approach to Foerster's - just show her what to do, show her examples, let her work. Something with a discovery approach might not be her ticket.

I was also considering Jacob's but I've heard that it has lots of cartoons and such and well, she's not a fan of that either. With her, dry text, as long as it's clear and straightforward, is wonderful. She just wants to get to the fun of the work.

Anyhow, any thoughts are welcome.

I really do not like Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 in consecutive years-- students do so much better with the 'gap' year in between (they are mentally more prepared to understand Algebra 2-- even if they have to review Algebra 1 a bit first).

I like Foerster's Algebra 1 but I'm not a fan of Foerster's Algebra 2-- it is a solid enough course--but too wordy in the problem set.

I like Jacobs Geometry 2nd edition-- I DO NOT like the 3rd edition-- again personal preference. The 3rd edition is 'discovery based' and that is not my style or my teaching style... works great for some students.

I really do not like Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 in consecutive years-- students do so much better with the 'gap' year in between (they are mentally more prepared to understand Algebra 2-- even if they have to review Algebra 1 a bit first).

I like Foerster's Algebra 1 but I'm not a fan of Foerster's Algebra 2-- it is a solid enough course--but too wordy in the problem set.

I like Jacobs Geometry 2nd edition-- I DO NOT like the 3rd edition-- again personal preference. The 3rd edition is 'discovery based' and that is not my style or my teaching style... works great for some students.

Ah. I was under the impression that Jacobs was discovery based period and that is not something my daughter enjoys. I'll look for the 2nd edition. And thanks for clearing up my confusion on the sequence. I must have misread the past post.