Menu

Do you have child memorize dates of every Pharaoh?

OrganicMom

why? What would be the point ogf knowing exact years of Egyptan pharoahs? While we find the Egyptians very interesting around here, theres about thousands of years of history that come after them. IF I was the sort for memorizing dates, Egyptian Pharoahs would not be the dates I'd focus on. General idea of order, okay, but memorization of exact years, um , yeah, not so much.

We have been sure to recognize and commit to memory some dates but now that I really think about it, is been all A.D. A few from European history times as they were game-changers and more related to American History. But yeah, game changers, that'd be a key point for us.

No.

We didn't memorize the Pharoahs at all. My oldest remembers the most important ones along with bits of info about them, but we did not make an effort to memorize.

I prioritize the 3R's k-3. Every moment spent doing school-ish work in history/science is a moment NOT spent learning to read/write/math. We cover history and science very well through read alouds and oral narration. My dc know more history than I did (after graduating college:tongue_smilie:) even without making history a school-ish subject...probably *because* history is not a school subject, but something we enjoy as a family.

None of the above. Just. No! :D

:iagree:

I was hesitant, and didn't begin this yet.... even with my daughter loving to memorize facts... very cautious and purposeful though as to what...

so.... what do YOU think is important to memorize?

For ME:

Bible verses

poetry

catechism-type stuff (we don't have this within my denomination, but I still find some things like this handy to know off-the-bat)

Biblical lists/history (names of the 12 tribes, the disciples, the judges, books of the Bible, etc)

famous quotes

historical quotes (the Preamble, MLK Jr's "I had a dream" speech)

more poetry :p

Edited by alisoncooks

right now, and for a while, we have been memorizing:

scripture

some poetry

skip counting

phone numbers - family

and recently are beginning - vocabulary words, latin, and newly some from the kids pocket catechism...

thoughts of:

history memorization, lists of great scientists (without dates), musical periods (without dates), and random stuff like weight and measure tables (i.e. 3 teaspoons are in a table spoon, 3 ft in a yard, etc) , colors of the rainbow (she memorized it on her own), how many oceans there are and their names (which she already knows)

also, just fyi, she likes to memorize, and we break it up throughout the day. for example she has a memory box which is pure scripture, a vocab box, a math box, a science history box... so before we gegin the subject we only spend a few brief moments on the box... all the boxes are set up like: http://simplycharlottemason.com/timesavers/memorysys/

Edited by OrganicMom

My priority memorization is:

Full name, address, phone number, parents names.

Math Facts as listed in The Core.

Something spiritual/character (varies depending on faith).

7 continents, 5 oceans

Latin/Greek/Hebrew

The rest of memorization in REALITY, ends out being pretty passive and short term. The type people here frown on :lol:

Oh yeah, and

Cooking measurement equivalents

Months of the year

Sometimes things come up that shock me to the core and I make a student recite after me. And then I forget about it for quite awhile, until I get shocked again. Like, "The first president was George Washington! Repeat after me..."

Sometimes things come up that shock me to the core and I make a student recite after me. And then I forget about it for quite awhile, until I get shocked again. Like, "The first president was George Washington! Repeat after me..."

:lol: :lol: BTDT How can they *forget* some of these things?

Good grief no.

I think this is the first time I've used that critter.

If she likes to memorize things, get her a children's almanac and see what she comes up with. My son seems to know the gemstones by month, the Chinese zodiac, and the prefixes for the metric system (I mean ones like yotta) as well as phone numbers of various relatives. I think this is a more interesting use of his brain than too many bizarre facts of my choice.

Edited by stripe

My daughter memorized the list of Egyptian pharaohs from Aha through Conquest of Alexander the Great. No dates, just names. She loved it. Memorization is easy for her, so I just give her all sorts of stuff.

With her, I just post the list/whatever on the wall, we read through it 1-3x a day and she usually has it memorized in 2-4 weeks. Why not memorize the pharaohs? I remember her going through the list out loud a couple of times, trying to place some other historical events in context to what was going on over in Egypt. At any rate, she's proud of knowing the pharaoh list.

I think it's a fair question. We haven't memorized the Pharaohs, but only because we tend to memorize together and I've got some that don't memorize as easily, so we stick with Bible verses and poetry.

That said, if your daughter would enjoy it, go for it. I have one that can memorize things without much effort, and if we would've had more time in the day I would've had him memorize more lists when he was younger.

Yes, but only important and noncontroversial ones.

I too have seen the recommendations to memorize pharaohs. :confused:

We did not memorize the pharoahs even, and especially not the dates! We are back to an ancients year this year, and I decided to go with memorizing the books of the Bible this year for both of mine. The older will begin memorizing the wars list with dates, starting in ancient times.

I never saw the point in memorizing pharoahs. We did memorize the kings of England and the U.S. presidents. Maybe one day we will do the Romans...

Seriously, what is the point of memorizing a long list of pharaohs and dates? (unless the kid is mad on ancient Egypt and wants to do it for fun)

I have never met a single kid who's done that, and if I ever did, I'd probably conclude that the parents have instigated it to show off.

wow, i love how, here at the hive... there always seems to be a unanimous decision! :D

btw - forgot to mention she HAS memorized the books of the new testament and the 12 disciples, too. and lots of grammar (obviously) and spelling rules as well! heck, her brother who over hears (who is only 4) knows half the grammar definitions already and knows answer to spelling rules that he doesn't even know how to read yet... just by being around and in and out.

i think i may give her some pharaohs and Egyptian dynasty periods, still. within a few days to a week she has anything i give her to memorized (only 5mins a day) memorized down flat and she gets happy about it.... typically she is someone who will forget what she learns instantly... i have felt that memorization gives her confidence... i.e. if she is in a test (in the future) whatever she has memorized, i hope, will give her an outline of information...

but yeah.... all the dates tied to it.... i just couldn't even begin that until asking...

BUT, again! I am so surprised by most of you that have responded. not in a bad way... just surprised. I'm amazed that here in a forum that is inspired by the book, the well trained mind, that you don't follow a basic recommendation of memorization at each grade level of history facts...

i.e. not even wars or rulers? not that i'm judging at all... i'm new at this :D so, i am thankful for your wisdom. :D thank you so much for all of you who have responded!

BUT, again! I am so surprised by most of you that have responded. not in a bad way... just surprised. I'm amazed that here in a forum that is inspired by the book, the well trained mind, that you don't follow a basic recommendation of memorization at each grade level of history facts...

I don't follow SWB's belief in the three stages as such so I am not having my children spending their young years mostly memorizing facts. I try to glean other kernels of wisdom from her HSing ideas. But what you mentioned (the part I quoted) is probably going to generate a fair amount of discussion. In short, I think some people follow, and many are inspired by. But I do not believe I have seen a person who does exactly the WTM program as it is laid out. But she does promote lots of memorization. I think there are plenty of members here whose kids memorize things, but perhaps not quite what she lists or all that she lists. I also thought SWB did not seriously expect anyone to do her program exactly as written.

I don't follow SWB's belief in the three stages as such so I am not having my children spending their young years mostly memorizing facts. I try to glean other kernels of wisdom from her HSing ideas. But what you mentioned (the part I quoted) is probably going to generate a fair amount of discussion. In short, I think some people follow, and many are inspired by. But I do not believe I have seen a person who does exactly the WTM program as it is laid out. But she does promote lots of memorization. I think there are plenty of members here whose kids memorize things, but perhaps not quite what she lists or all that she lists. I also thought SWB did not seriously expect anyone to do her program exactly as written.

We choose memorization depending on what is important to US. That's things like family names, addresses, and numbers, geography (world, country, and state), Bible (verses, books, apostles), math facts (including measurements and calendar here), and great poetry and famous quotes.

wow, i love how, here at the hive... there always seems to be a unanimous decision! :D

i.e. not even wars or rulers? not that i'm judging at all... i'm new at this :D so, i am thankful for your wisdom. :D thank you so much for all of you who have responded!

Well, I know you aren't responding to only me, but I just wanted to say that I do have my kiddos memorize at each grade level and I did put that in my post. I just choose not to do the pharoahs.

The 1st time around in ancients we were just starting out, and I chose to get her used to memorizing with something slightly more useful. So we started with the first 12 presidents that year for a 6 and a 4 yr old. Didn't match our history for the year, and I didn't care.

2nd year and 3rd years we did do the history lists recommended in WTM: the kings of England, the presidents, the Preamble to the Constitution, etc, and lots of poetry, grammar, math facts, science facts, etc. I just never saw the point in the pharoahs. So now that we are back in ancients, like I said, we will do books of Bible and the older will begin the wars w/dates.

Many memorize slightly different things here. Some do classical conversatinos and use their memory lists. Some do Veritas Press or Memoria press and use their memory lists.

Personally I follow WTM more, but not to a T...

My children enjoy memory work. So far we have memorised scriptures, poetry, maths facts, our address/phone no. birth dates etc.

This year I will be doing more memory work in history & science. (This is something I 'missed' on my first couple of readings of WTM :) )

I am considering Roman Emperors for this year.

I was surprised at the diversity of the forums when I first came across them. I was expecting a group of people who followed WTM, or used other ideas for Classical education.

Me too. That's why I didn't come here until last year, I didn't follow WTM at all or use PHP products.

We choose memorization depending on what is important to US. That's things like family names, addresses, and numbers, geography (world, country, and state), Bible (verses, books, apostles), math facts (including measurements and calendar here), and great poetry and famous quotes.

Goodness - we have done geography too! I usually feel like I am not doing enough, but we seem to be doing ok in the memory work dept!

I like your idea of quotes - something I hadn't really thought of before. That would tie in really nicely with many different subjects too.

Thank you!

It didn't even occur to me to have dates memorized. Actually this year I purchased the chapter tests from Peace Hill Press and so far none of the tests we have have expected the kids to memorize dates.

I do emphasize to my kids to remember the century/time period we are talking about, and hope they retain a rough idea of where events occur on an overall timeline.

I do the poetry memorization with my eldest using FLL3. With youngest ages - address, phone number, Pledge of Allegiance, etc, seemed sufficient to me, along with geography.

As far as history goes, really can't imagine anything more trivial than the dates of rule for specific Egyptian pharaohs. I would consider that a colossal waste of time. There are so many more *general* things to be remembered historically.