Menu

Do record every book read?

OrganicMom

Do you record every book your child reads or that you read aloud to them? if so how? when do you begin recording? always?

question 2: do you catagorize them? (i.e. history list, poetry, fiction, etc) OR do you just put them on one master list for the year or the 4 year cycle?

Edited by OrganicMom

I started recording read-alouds and novels he read on his own when he started school officially last year (he's 11/05 also). I have a space on my school schedule for whatever novel I'm reading aloud to him. He keeps track of novels he reads on goodreads. Only novels he reads on his own, not non-fiction or school-assigned reading. Then at the end of the year, I copy it and put it in his portfolio. I'm not really sure how I decided on only novels. I think because he reads a lot of non-fiction and also likes to go back and read picture books, so that seemed like too much to record.

I don't separate out his novel reading into categories. If its something I've given him to read because it pertains to what we're studying, I've already recorded it in the appropriate place.

No. Too many, too much detail.

I keep track of literature books. So no Magic Treehouse or random picture books. Book, author, date completed.

I have a master list for history and check them off and write a comment if we read them. These could be all kinds of books - ficton and non, chapter books and picture books.

I also keep a list of our RAs. I used to do audiobooks too, but that went by the wayside this year.

I'm a compulsive list maker so yes, I keep a book list on my blog for each year with lists for read alouds, history books and bios, science, and then the personal reading of each of my boys. My oldest is really good at giving me the books he finishes so I can record them. The other two, not so much.

We do - I make them each a list(collection) in librarything each year. They enjoy seeing what books they've read and how many times. They just give me their books after they read them (usually a stack at a time) and I enter them and put the books away (library bag usually). We started keeping track around K level (maybe 4 for DD). It's really let me see what some of their favorite books are, and it's neat to see the wide variety they choose sometimes.

yes. it DOES seems like much work... but I really like seeing how many books were read... and as/if other little ones come along what books we covered when... (less work later!?)

I know it REALLY counts in highschool maybe middle...?

but I do still wonder if it will be too much work...

this area for me is similar to the man who decided to build a tower... he considered what it would take to do it before he began... this is me and keeping track of the books we read.... it's a bit daunting for me... but i'm craving the idea to know...

my daughter is especially MOTIVATED by completing lists, series, subject mater and LOVES to see what she has accomplished! without that VISION she doesn't get a lot of enjoyment out of it...

i was thinking it may be easier to just have one place where i write everything no matter the subject each year... but i do still like writing the books we cover, in let's say, history... science... etc... in one place...

The last two summers, I've had to keep track of number of pages read during the summer for a homeschool group's summer reading program. It was soooooooo hard to keep up, especially this year, when everyone read over twice as much as last year. My oldest had a goal of 10,000 pages, and he read around 13,000 pages in that 8 week period. I so hated keeping track, even though I was just writing down name of book, number of pages in the book, and number of times read - all in an Excel spreadsheet.

I can't imagine doing that all year long. My oldest reads constantly. I can't keep up.

So far, for family read-alouds and assigned literature, I can remember if we've read something or not. If not, I will ask. If the kid doesn't remember, they can read it again. ;) I read Detectives in Togas one summer, then the next summer I assigned it to DS1 to read himself. He had absolutely no recollection of me reading it to him the year before. :tongue_smilie: (I'd read it when he wasn't really used to listening to chapter books yet)

I have to agree with Ellie... Why would I keep track of books read? If my state doesn't require it, why bother? It's a lot of work for no apparent reason.

We do keep a reading list, but I know it's not 100% complete. It's mostly just for fun. I'm an administrative type and *I* keep a reading log with a brief review on Goodreads.com. When my oldest started reading, I started an account on Goodreads account for him and that's where we kept track of his first 100. Then we just kept going. He likes to see the count. Now that he's 9, he enters and rates and reviews (sometimes) his own books. My parents and a couple friends are his friends on the account, so they can see what he's reading and my dad and brother recommend him books and he sends recommendations to his friend. It's a fun little book-social thing. My dad challenges them to "duals" of who can read the most books in a year. :)

It's not for record-keeping so much as for fun. I like seeing what my friends' kids the same age are reading and we get ideas from each other that way. Reading lots and keeping track and writing a short review is just something our family does (my dad, my brother, myself), so it just seemed natural to have my kids do the same when they started reading. For us, it's part of interacting with books and being a Reader.

But it's not necessary at all. :) It *is* convenient to go back over my older boy's list to see what I should get for my next son, though.

I do keep a list of all the chapter books we read, or listen to. At this point it's easy to keep track of what Eldest reads since he has (checking) only read 18 chapter books.

Youngest is not at the point where he can read chapter books.

My list is an excel spreadsheet with the following columns:

Book Title

Author

Year Read (First)

Year Read (Last)

Number of Times read

I also have the following columns which sometimes have content, sometimes not depending on what information I have in front of me when I'm entering the book.

Description (I usually just copy the one from amazon)

Notes (Usually not well written or detailed. Perhaps "Eldest liked it a lot. Youngest did not.")

Length Audio ( X hour X minutes)

# of pages

Published

Series title

WHERE ARE YOU IN THE BOOK (Only long school books, ie. SOTW)

The reason I do this is what often happens to me is I think, "What was the book I read about a toad and a car". Then I spend a bunch of brain power trying to remember and or time searching. Now (in theory depending how much information is in the spreadsheet) I can just search for the word "toad" and maybe "car" and find the name of the book. :)

I don't find it to much work at this point. To enter the basic information takes less than one minute. I can then go back and fill in other notes (Description, Notes, Length...) if I am ever sitting around bored.

What I am planning to happen one day is when a kid is done reading a book they put it on my desk so I can enter the title, ...

It is also in many ways the only records or work I do related to homeschooling. If I every want a reminder of how much we have done I just look at the list. :)

We are very much "Do the next page, next spelling list..." I can even look at my read aloud list and see at a glance that today we are suppose to start chapter 2 of Story of the World Volume 2. I check the "WHERE TO BEGIN MARK" and it says. "2, 6:32" So I know to start at chapter two and begin the audio recording at the time mark 6:32.

I also have on the list books we haven't read yet, and that I think might be a good fit for us. The ones I want to read soon are highlighted in orange. So when we finish a book and need to pick a new one to start I can open my file and read out the titles of those books to my boys so they can pick what we do next. I sometimes also get those books from the library and put them on the library shelf. (Which lets the covers face outwards) and see if the boys end up asking for that book.

When someone suggests a book that I think sounds good, but not for us right now I just add it to my list. Then I don't forget about it.

I really like my list. :) It works for me. I wish I could write more about how much I live it, but I have to make lunch, and the kids want me to start an audio recording of Calling on Dragons. ... (And according to my spreadsheet we are at Track 4, the 16:30 minute mark)

This summer I started keeping a log of all books dd has read. There is no real organization of the list; it's just ordered chronologically from when she read them. All I list is title, author, and whether she read the book independently, partner read (each taking at turn with pages/chapters), or as a read aloud.

I don't ever plan on doing anything with the list, but I know that it was a confidence builder for DD when she reached the 100 book point. And I was proud of her, too.

I was also surprised when I could actually count the number of books she read independently, as I was fearing that she had trouble with independent reading. However, when I looked back at the list, there was a good number of books she had read on her own.

Later on, I think she'll find it pretty interesting to see all the books she has read. It's really just for personal interest.

I got DD her own account setup on Goodreads so she (with help from me) could keep track of her books. Just in case she comes to me when she's thirty and wants to know that awesome book we read in second grade about the kids and the storks and it was in some other country and do I remember the name of that book? :001_huh: Or what about that book about the princess and the pictures were really pretty and it might have been set in England a long time ago? :001_huh::001_huh:

Edited by aggieamy

Why do you think it really counts?

I'm curious about this too. I've never had a desire to record what everyone's reading. I can see if someone wants to do it for fun (to see all that they've read), but I'm not sure why it would be important to anyone other than the members of our family.

I got DD her own account setup on Goodreads so she (with help from me) could keep track of her books. Just in case she comes to me when she's thirty and wants to know that awesome book we read in second grade about the kids and the storks and it was in some other country and do I remember the name of that book? :001_huh: Or what about that book about the princess and the pictures were really pretty and it might have been set in England a long time ago? :001_huh::001_huh:

:) Same reason I keep track.

Why do you think it really counts?

I can only see it mattering for English class maybe... knowing what literature was studied in order to earn credit? But that's not "keeping track of every single book read". I highly doubt anyone cares about that! Even in states where you're supposed to keep track of books, I would assume it would be books for literature class, not every single book the child ever decides to read for fun. :tongue_smilie:

And even for the English credit, I do have a hard time imagining anyone asking about it. I would want to make sure my child has analyzed enough literature to consider it a proper English credit (reading one book is probably not enough ;) ), but that's more MY knowledge, not anyone else's.

Like Sommer, we are in PA and are required to keep a log of books read. I keep one list of books we read for subjects like history or science together, one for read alouds, and one for the books ds reads during his independent reading time. I don't keep track of anything not read in some official "school" capacity.