Menu

R+S Gr 6 English question

Do you have your child do all of it orally? It seems that even the "classroom" or "practice exercises" you can do orally, but are you supposed to do that? Or do you make you child write out all the practice sentences out on paper?(FWIW, we skip the diagramming. Please no flaming)

Thanks!

We do the Oral Review in the Teacher's book, read through the lesson together orally, and do almost all the exercises orally. I do have my children write out any diagramming exercises, writing exercises, or other exercises where writing makes a difference (things that require writing dictionary marks, writing out plural possessives of a list of nouns, etc.) If there is a workbook page for the lesson, my children do that in writing. The end. Sounds like more than it is. Usually averages out to 30-45 mins./day. Well worth it for the solid, thorough grounding they get in grammar.

All those exercises are meant for a classroom situation. When you only have one student and you're doing it one-on-one with him and can tell when/where he's got a problem, there is just no point in having him write everything out. (Not to mention the time it'll take you to correct it.) Do do all the exercises orally; don't skimp! Just don't worry about not writing the answers. When we started R&S, I worried about doing things orally, but, going into our fifth year of it, we have completed R&S 3-6 and are doing 7 this year, and I know from experience that doing it orally works. :)

Okay. Thanks so much. That helps. Since we don't diagram, nor use the writing portion, I wasn't sure if I should have her write out the practice sentences or not.

I have had her write out the forms of Be and all the Prepositions, and she has them pretty much memorized but sometimes she needs to refer back to them.

Thank you!:grouphug:

We do the oral review from the Teacher's book, go over the lesson together and some of the classroom exercises, then I assign a third to a half of the written and review exercises. If they do poorly (which is usually because they haven't read the instructions) then I might add some more problems.

I really feel that setting up a neat page and reading instructions are just as important for my kids to be getting from this as the grammar.

Do you have your child do all of it orally? It seems that even the "classroom" or "practice exercises" you can do orally, but are you supposed to do that? Or do you make you child write out all the practice sentences out on paper?(FWIW, we skip the diagramming. Please no flaming)

Thanks!

With my daughter, who completed R&S English 6 last year, we did the 'Class Practice' exercises orally (except for a few of the diagramming - which you said you don't do), and then for most of the 'Written Practice' lessons I assigned her the odds only. In our experience, it seemed like there were too many problems much of the time.

I was a little more strict with the Chapter Reviews, where I made her do all the problems (although still only orally on the 'Class Practice', but all of the 'Written') to prepare her for the test.