Menu

I was hesitant in sharing, but... (wedding related)

My fiance and I decided to push up the wedding so we make sure his grandmother can be apart of it.

We've decided it will be on our 5-year anniversary, the 14th of October. Of this year. Yeah, 27 days.

We'll be living with my parents while he finishes school (he is a Jr) and I'll begin college this Spring.

We're filing for the license on Friday and looking at rings this weekend.

It will be very small. My parents, sister, sister's husband, his mother, his grandmother, his little brother and sister. Possibly one of his uncles and a good friend. My two best friends are away at college but the wedding will be Skyped to them.

Also, my 19th birthday is in exactly 3 weeks :D

ETA: I know some people are strongly against young marriages. We understand marriage is hard, we have full support from both families, and most importantly, we are happy.

My fiance and I decided to push up the wedding so we make sure his grandmother can be apart of it.

We've decided it will be on our 5-year anniversary, the 14th of October. Of this year. Yeah, 27 days.

We'll be living with my parents while he finishes school (he is a Jr) and I'll begin college this Spring.

It will be very small. My parents, sister, sister's husband, his mother, his grandmother, his little brother and sister. Possibly one of his uncles and a good friend. My two best friends are away at college but the wedding will be Skyped to them.

ETA: I know some people are strongly against young marriages. We understand marriage is hard, we have full support from both families, and most importantly, we are happy.

I love a fall wedding. We were married on Oct12. I like the idea of a small, simple wedding. Good luck with all the last min. stuff.

Congratulations!

One advantage of young marriage is that you don't bring 10-15 years of old boyfriend/girlfriend baggage into a marriage with you! You are starting out ahead in regards to an area that causes some marriages serious growing pains.

Congrats!

I married my high school sweetheart six months after I graduated high school - I was 18 and he was 19.

We're still together and happy :) Almost 20 years now.

There is one piece of advice I'll give that my mom gave me that I thought was so silly at the time... but I'm so glad she said something, lol.

She said - pay attention to the vows. Really listen to what you are both saying. She said she was so nervous about the people watching her, about her dress, etc., that she realized after the ceremony she had been on auto-pilot and missed most of it, lol. :lol:

:DFelicitations!

(THat's what you say to an engaged woman, not congrats, because congrats implies winning a prize, and the woman IS the prize...:D.

Chris in Va, who is feeling all Emily Post here. :lol:

Well, I was going to say congrats, but since Chris says no... Felicitations to you!

I wish you both all the best!

I got married young :) We got married 11/12/05. We had a small wedding. I would urge you to look at Walmart, Dollar Tree, etc small stores for cheap options. Look into making a simple cake instead of a traditional wedding cake. Buy a pretty white prom dress instead of a wedding dress. There are ways to have a nice wedding on a budget and on a short time frame.

I was 18 when I married. That was 45+ yrs ago. The main thing is you go into it knowing it is going to be difficult many times, you are going to want to quit but making that decision that quitting isn't an option.(I am not talking about in an abusive relationship. That is difference.) You don't fall in and out of love. You make a decision to love.

I am happy for you.

We pushed our wedding up, because I just wanted it OVER. I'm not a party planner and the planning stress was literally making me puke :tongue_smilie:.

We had a beautiful, small ceremony with family and friends. It was the last event dh's grandmother was able to attend. She passed away later that year. I completely understand your reasoning.

Congratulations!

Congrats!!!

I got married when I was 19. Dh was 22. After 12 1/2 years, we still like each other. We also had a super small wedding. I was more focused on the being married part, rather than the getting married. We have had so much fun growing up together. It wasn't always easy, but it has definitely been worth it.

Wishing you many,many years of happiness!

We were 19 and 20 and in college... we moved our wedding date up due to circumstances-- and had 3 weeks to prepare!

I made my dress (while I was working full time and going to college full time) and my family helped put the simple ceremony together. It was a GREAT wedding. We did not send out invitations--but over 200 people showed up!

---

Make sure to take the time to have a good bridal picture taken-- this was my one true regret 27 years later... it does not have to be high dollar-- just a good photo taken by a friend-- or even in a JC Penny portrait studio with a coupon!

Young marriages can work out well-- we are going on 28 years. The 3rd year was the hardest-- when we were finishing up college and beginning our careers.... the hardest part (and the greatest part) was 'growing up' together!

Congratulations!! Wishing you the best! I wouldn't worry about getting married young...it just means you have that much more time to spend together, right? Dh was 19 & I was 18 when we were married...we've been married for 17+ years now and goin' strong. I hope you have a great wedding, and enjoy many, many years together!:party:

:DFelicitations!

(THat's what you say to an engaged woman, not congrats, because congrats implies winning a prize, and the woman IS the prize...:D.

:lol:

Congrats!

I married my high school sweetheart six months after I graduated high school - I was 18 and he was 19.

We're still together and happy :) Almost 20 years now.

There is one piece of advice I'll give that my mom gave me that I thought was so silly at the time... but I'm so glad she said something, lol.

She said - pay attention to the vows. Really listen to what you are both saying. She said she was so nervous about the people watching her, about her dress, etc., that she realized after the ceremony she had been on auto-pilot and missed most of it, lol. :lol:

I am already freaking out about everyone looking at me :willy_nilly: And kissing in front of everyone :svengo: I am NOT a PDA person and neither is fiance.

Thanks for the advice. We're looking at different vows now to see which ones we like best.

I got married young :) We got married 11/12/05. We had a small wedding. I would urge you to look at Walmart, Dollar Tree, etc small stores for cheap options. Look into making a simple cake instead of a traditional wedding cake. Buy a pretty white prom dress instead of a wedding dress. There are ways to have a nice wedding on a budget and on a short time frame.

Thankfully, my sister was just married in July. If her dress fits me she said she'll have it cleaned as a present and I'll wear that. If not, I'm going to go with a non-traditional style from a thrift store.

As far as cake, it will be homemade by me so that I can eat it too (allergies).

We plan to have a large party in December to celebrate and invite everyone since his family will be up and my friends will be home from college. The wedding itself will be very small, about 10 people are invited.

:lol:

We plan to have a large party in December to celebrate and invite everyone since his family will be up and my friends will be home from college. The wedding itself will be very small, about 10 people are invited.

At that point, ask close friends/family to bring a dish to pass. You could even set the menu if you wanted and ask 3 people to bring beans, 3 others potatoes, etc. Honestly, most close friends would gladly do this for you, esp. if it is instead of big wedding gifts that might not be practical for you right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Thankfully, my sister was just married in July. If her dress fits me she said she'll have it cleaned as a present and I'll wear that. If not, I'm going to go with a non-traditional style from a thrift store.

As far as cake, it will be homemade by me so that I can eat it too (allergies).

Congratulations!!!

You are very sensible in your planning - this quality will serve you well in the future.

Congratulations!!!

You are very sensible in your planning - this quality will serve you well in the future.

Awww lovely, congrats Beatlemania! I hope the next few weeks go smoothly and your day goes perfectly!

FWIW - I was married at 18, in Autumn. It'll be 10 years next may. Hard, yes. Worth it, totally!

Thank you :001_smile:

Everything is just beginning to fall into place. My sister's dress fit so that is all taken care of. We're doing it in our living room and my sister and her husband will be taking pictures with their professional camera. We are picking up my fiances suit on Friday. I got my ring and he will be ordering his online. I've also booked the Justice of the Peace. So pretty much all I have to do now is show up. :D

It's in 1 week and 4 days. Eeeek!

Thank you :001_smile:

Everything is just beginning to fall into place. My sister's dress fit so that is all taken care of. We're doing it in our living room and my sister and her husband will be taking pictures with their professional camera. We are picking up my fiances suit on Friday. I got my ring and he will be ordering his online. I've also booked the Justice of the Peace. So pretty much all I have to do now is show up. :D

It's in 1 week and 4 days. Eeeek!

Yay! Glad it's all working out easily!

I picked my wedding dress off a Jordan Marsh clearance rack for $35 - it wasn't a gown, but a simple off-white dress. I loved it. My dh's mother found a suit for him in a thrift store for $10. We also had a friend taking pictures, and a potluck snack reception. Uncle made the cake. So much less stress and cost than what so many people go through.