Menu

My response to Tony Jones' "Death to Homeschooling" post

hlee

Thanks to everyone who gave great input into the problems with Jones's perspective about homeschooling and how it runs counter to the missional life (see his post here: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/tonyjones/2012/09/07/death-to-homeschooling/)

I was asked to write a brief response for the Jesus Creed blog, which I did. It doesn't nearly capture the richness of all the input you all gave, but hopefully it will help further the conversation and point out some problems in Jones's original post.

Here is mine if you're interested:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/jesuscreed/2012/09/17/homeschooled-and-missional-absolutely/#comments

Best,

Helen

That was a great rebuttal, and you have a gorgeous family!

:iagree: and I LOVED this comment (number eight):

Was the 3 years that Jesus spent discipling the Twelve anti-missional?

There is a time of training in every person’s walk. To say this crucial time of training (and maybe even separation) is completely anti-missional would be false. It’s like saying that boot-camp is unnecessary or even anti-military.

I think it is important to point out that being discipled and developing purpose and strategy WITH THE GOAL of being missional is never anti-missional. Yes, a 5-year-old Christian child can shine a light in a dark place – but are they really prepared for that? That’s up to the parents.

I would argue that a family who purposes to homeschool can ultimately be more missionally focused for a greater impact than those in public school who cannot invest in and disciple their children as often since 8-9 hours a day is spent being ‘discipled’ by someone else. Disciples BECOME missional – but usually after training. Some children may need more time than others.

Yes, I was homeschooled.

:iagree: and I LOVED this comment (number eight):

Was the 3 years that Jesus spent discipling the Twelve anti-missional?

There is a time of training in every person’s walk. To say this crucial time of training (and maybe even separation) is completely anti-missional would be false. It’s like saying that boot-camp is unnecessary or even anti-military.

I think it is important to point out that being discipled and developing purpose and strategy WITH THE GOAL of being missional is never anti-missional. Yes, a 5-year-old Christian child can shine a light in a dark place – but are they really prepared for that? That’s up to the parents.

I would argue that a family who purposes to homeschool can ultimately be more missionally focused for a greater impact than those in public school who cannot invest in and disciple their children as often since 8-9 hours a day is spent being ‘discipled’ by someone else. Disciples BECOME missional – but usually after training. Some children may need more time than others.

Yes, I was homeschooled.

:iagree: and I, too, was homeschooled for 5 years.