Menu

Can I overuse the Internet?

runbikeswim

My son, 13, is very hands on and loves active learning. Reading, not so much. We have something in place for each subject except science. I was using some textbooks and workbooks, but nothing solid. Now DS is obsessed with Khan academy and wants to watch these for science. He takes copious notes, even sketching in his science journal and just loves it. It seems to teach better than I can (science not being my strong suit), lol.

Also, we are doing science Olympiad this year and it is very intense. Between these 2, can I feel okay with letting him lead his own learning in science?

I think that's great! He's excited about science and isn't that what you want more than anything?!?!? I say let him go with it and really fall in love. We've done Science Olympiad the last two years as well with the private Christian school he went to. DS wants to do it this year too but I was a little underwhelmed with the coach for the homeschool team. She was VEEEEERY competitive and was fishing for information on how our school finished in events last year etc. To me, it's not all about winning and I didn't like that her attitude was so focused on it.

What event(s) is your son interested in doing?

Anatomy and disease detective. They both tie into my general theme for this year, which is biology. :)This is an all homeschool group, so while very intense and a bit intimidating...it's a wonderful and super suportive group so far.

Oooh I like the sound of those. DS has done Meteorology the last two years.

If he wants to do it, and he WILL do it...let him have at it I say!! I am of the opinion that whatever curriculum works/gets them excited -- that's the perfect curriculum; and it will look different at your house than at mine!

We love Khan too; I've actually been doing some self education with Khan! I want for me and the kids to go through the Art section and learn about great art! (just have to get them on board, lol).

I also use the internet a lot for schooling. I mean, really, there is SO much information out there, so much choice -- you can always find something that will hold their interest and keep them excited about doing school!

I do closely monitor them when they are using the internet however! Just wanted to make sure I put that in there.