Menu

Downton Abbey ~ Discussion! {possible spoilers!}

Xuzi

The scene that got me most, surprisingly (or perhaps not - since it had Maggie Smith in it), was from the next morning when The Dowager returns to the house and speaks with Carson, then starts to walk towards the lounge (or whatever room it was the family was gathered in). You just see her from the back, and she's just walking, but WOW! That was the moment I *had* to grab the tissues.

That was an amazing bit of acting!! You could see her falter, then pause to stiffen her spine and her resolve. Totally brilliant that she was able to convey 100 different emotions with no dialogue and from BEHIND! Bravo, Dame Maggie!

I rewatched the episode this morning, and I'm still completely gutted by it. :crying: I honestly felt like I was right there, swallowed up by the emotional intensity of that scene. Everybody's performance was stunning. The grief, desperation and frantic pleading were absolutely heart wrenching. I have never openly sobbed during a TV show episode before, but this was beyond real. Everyone in that scene deserves an award. I even cried over Thomas! That in particular stabbed my heart a bit.

I'm still tearing up today whenever I think about it. :crying:

That was an amazing bit of acting!! You could see her falter, then pause to stiffen her spine and her resolve. Totally brilliant that she was able to convey 100 different emotions with no dialogue and from BEHIND! Bravo, Dame Maggie!

I rewatched the episode this morning, and I'm still completely gutted by it. :crying: I honestly felt like I was right there, swallowed up by the emotional intensity of that scene. Everybody's performance was stunning. The grief, desperation and frantic pleading were absolutely heart wrenching. I have never openly sobbed during a TV show episode before, but this was beyond real. Everyone in that scene deserves an award. I even cried over Thomas! That in particular stabbed my heart a bit.

I'm still tearing up today whenever I think about it. :crying:

Oh gosh, I don't know if I could ever watch that episode again :crying: I was a sniveling mess all the rest of the day yesterday after I got done watching it, and it kept me up most of the night.

And ya, I actually felt a bit of empathy for Thomas during his scene as well. That whole scene of the servants downstairs was gutting. How silent it was.

Oh gosh, I don't know if I could ever watch that episode again :crying: I was a sniveling mess all the rest of the day yesterday after I got done watching it, and it kept me up most of the night.

And ya, I actually felt a bit of empathy for Thomas during his scene as well. That whole scene of the servants downstairs was gutting. How silent it was.

I'm still shaken! :grouphug: :crying:

I feel terrible because today I was sitting at the library chatting with a friend (our kids were in a class) and I asked her if she was watching Downton this fall (we're in the states). She said her family does have access and is going to sit down and watch it this week. I said "Oh. There was just a really dramatic episode yesterday I am dying to have someone to talk to about, but I won't say a thing". She said she didn't mind spoilers at all and to give up the goods. We went back and forth 3 times. I told her what happened and she almost screamed in the library! :tongue_smilie: I think she's convinced the character in question is coming back.

That scene with Violet coming in to the drawing room may be the most heartbreaking bit. Oh my goodness, she is amazing. I've read she can be a real diva on set, but she's certainly earned some diva status!

Oh that episode was heart-wrenching!!! And I cannot wait to see the interaction between Lady and Lord Grantham in the episodes to come. We had a not-quite-but-almost-similar experience a couple years ago...I knew something was terribly wrong with my dd, my dh blew it off, I finally ignored him and took her in, he continued to argue with me (and then the doctors)...turns out my dd's appendix had ruptured. SO GLAD I IGNORED HIM. So Cora's emotions all really hit home with me big time!!!!!

And Old Lady Grantham. Oh how I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE her!!!!!! She is my absolute favorite.

You can gather them around the computer with you. Because seriously...this is TOO GOOD to wait!!! In a dramatic, gasping, hands over your mouth, screaming at the screen while the tears flow, kind of way. :D

Had to pause it several times to regain my composure and then continue. I was shattered. One of my favorites in the show too! So horribly sad.:crying:

I'm still shaken! :grouphug: :crying:

That scene with Violet coming in to the drawing room may be the most heartbreaking bit. Oh my goodness, she is amazing. I've read she can be a real diva on set, but she's certainly earned some diva status!

Maggie Smith was perfect. It was icing on a tragic, sad cake so to speak. I've just never been so sad like this because of a tv show! Do you think we all need somekind of therapy?:confused:

Oh, Cora just absolutely broke my heart. You can tell Elizabeth McGovern is a mother of girls in real life. Her mommy heart was just raw and exposed during all of that! Stunning portrayal of grief. Give that woman an award!

I literally felt like I was standing on the opposite side of that bed. It all seemed so immediate and overwhelming. The emotions just never let up. Being a viewer, of course there is that helpless feeling that washes over you, knowing you can't really do anything. But I think because the characters were feeling that same desperation, it just really pulled me into the scene in a way nothing else ever has before.

And know I'm off to get some medication...before my family stages an intervention. :D. "Mom, you know this is just a TV show, right?" :lol:

It was beautiful and awful and amazing and terrible. Just TOO MUCH! I was mesmerized. I felt like I was there.

We watch through TunnelBear with the laptop connected to the TV so we can see it on the big screen.

Yes, no need for the family to huddle around a computer. Put it up on the big screen so everyone can cry together. And we did. :crying: