Menu

food storage ideas needed

I love Tupperware for food storage but don't have the budget for it. And it's not big enough for the 20+ pound bags I'd like to buy.

I had thought about the liners and buckets idea I saw in an emergency preparedness catalog but dislike the idea of ordering online. I prefer to buy local whenever possible to save local jobs.

I would like to know what you all use for bulk storage of staples like rice, flours, sugar, and the like.

I use huge containers I buy at a restaurant supply store.

And WHY is it that I can NEVER spell restaurant correctly the first time? I can never remember if the u is after the first a or the second.

ETA: The brand is Cambro. They come in 2 quart all the way up to something that could hold 50 pounds of flour.

Edited by 425lisamarie

Well for 10 pounds I buy the big rubbermaid containers. I haven't bought any in years but I would guess they are around $10-$15. For bigger containers, I use empty frosting buckets from the bakery departments. Mine are 3 gallon size as that's what Sam's club uses and they gave me them for free. The other grocery stores around here either didn't have them or sold them for 50 cents or a $1. I did buy gamma lids for them but I had to buy those online. I bought a 12 pack of 6 different colors so I know just by looking at the lid what's in it (for me yellow and orange are oatmeal since the 50 pounds bag I get takes 4 buckets, red is my hard wheat, white is soft wheat, blue is spelt etc.) Brown rice and couscous I store in the freezer so that they don't turn rancid before I use them up.

We buy animal crackers by the HUGE container full at Sams, then reuse the containers. THey say 4 pounds on the package, but that is crackers, they hold a 10 lb bag of rice easily. I currently have 3 filled with rice, one with pasta, one with candy;) and we have some filled with blocks and legos. They have screw on lids and are clear, and square. Perfect for us, and free since we would be buying the animal crackers anyway. Oh, I have 6 kids, that's why we go through so many animal crackers!