Menu

Confused about Latin programs

4kids13971

I am looking for a latin program that will cover grammar concepts. I have read several reviews on here and I am just plain confused. I would like a program that is engaging to the child. If it is too dry, they will not get into the study. I use Analytical Grammar for my 6th grader and FFL4 for my fourth grader. I don't want to add too much grammar, so maybe I can replace something? Any opinions would help!

I use the Big Book of Lively Latin for my son. It covers grammar regularly. It also has history of Rome, which your child may or may not like.

I did not care for the other Latin programs - LC was too dry and with LfC, I couldn't stand the videos. Other people have loved them, though.

Is there any chance you could post a notice in a local homeschool group asking if someone is willing to just show you any of the above? There really is no substitute for seeing them yourself. You will get a range of people who all swear by different programs, but if you see them for yourself, you will have a better idea of what works.

We use Visual Latin http://www.visuallatin.com/ We did do 3/4 of the first Latina Christiana before burning out on that. Ideally, I would use both programs. I should mention that I did take 4 years of Latin in highschool which I vaguely remember! Dwayne's explanations of grammar concepts are the best I've ever heard. Best of all, he makes my son laugh and want to do Latin every day!

Edited by wimsmom
more detail

I use the Big Book of Lively Latin for my son. It covers grammar regularly. It also has history of Rome, which your child may or may not like.

I did not care for the other Latin programs - LC was too dry and with LfC, I couldn't stand the videos. Other people have loved them, though.

Is there any chance you could post a notice in a local homeschool group asking if someone is willing to just show you any of the above? There really is no substitute for seeing them yourself. You will get a range of people who all swear by different programs, but if you see them for yourself, you will have a better idea of what works.

Thanks! that is a good idea so I posted to my group and hopefully someone will have something for me to look at.

We use Visual Latin http://www.visuallatin.com/ We did do 3/4 of the first Latina Christiana before burning out on that. Ideally, I would use both programs. I should mention that I did take 4 years of Latin in highschool which I vaguely remember! Dwayne's explanations of grammar concepts are the best I've ever heard. Best of all, he makes my son laugh and want to do Latin every day!

Is Visual latin strictly video and online? How does the parent become involved?

Lively Latin is a great first time Latin program. We used Big Book 1 for 3 years just working our way through it slowly and repeating lessons for review. I didn't go with Big Book 2 because I read too many mixed reviews. This year I moved my oldest to Henle because he's in Classical Conversations, and I moved my middle to Latin Prep, which I like because it has more translating practice.

Visual latin is taught by video that you download to your computer or Ipad. There are also worksheets for each lessons and an answer key that you download and print or lazily do on the computer like us. I'm involved--I sit and watch each lesson with my son and then he does the worksheets orally. I'm able to give help and feedback as necessary. It takes between 10 and 20 minutes per lesson for us. :001_smile: