Menu

Antidepressant/anti anxiety med?

It has been a little while since I have looked at what was availble. Yes, I know I will speak with my Dr., but I have found she doesn't listen particularly well to me if I do not come in well informed.

She insisted I try Wellbutrin again, even though I said it made my anxiety/temper worse. She insisted it was prescribed for anxiety. I hate it. I feel mad all the time.

So, if I was looking for something without the weightgain issues, that helps with both depression and anxiety, do I have any options?

I have been at this long enough to know that anything that causes weight gain, ultimately leaves me more depressed than less, even if I have improvement in the beginning.

I would try a different doctor! Honestly, I think these meds react differently on different people with their side effects, since everyone's biochemistry is a little different, so I would rather have someone who would listen to me and be willing to change the Rx if it wasn't working.:grouphug:

I know, right?! ;) I am struggling with convenience at the moment. She is in the same practice as my children and the other Dr is male....although, now that I think about it he does really good with helping me with the kids adhd meds.

Hmmmm.....

I guess I am just hoping that something new as come on the market in the last couple years that I don't know about. :D

Edited by Juniper

The only thing I ever took was ZOloft for 6 months. I deal with some anxiety and insomnia. It didn't help me sleep better and I did not like the side effects so I stopped taking it. I don't think it did a thing.

This is the battle. I was reading Joanne's comment about masking symptoms verses treating. I hate masking symptoms, but I equally hate side effects.

Things are not bad right now....but with the recent family drama we have had, teen suicides, and changes in general...I am aware that I have increased anxiety again.

Ugh!

This is the battle. I was reading Joanne's comment about masking symptoms verses treating. I hate masking symptoms, but I equally hate side effects.

Things are not bad right now....but with the recent family drama we have had, teen suicides, and changes in general...I am aware that I have increased anxiety again.

Ugh!

I have talked to more people that take Zoloft and are helped than not. I am the only person I know who did not like it. You could try a low dose and see.

I am on Zoloft and it is great for me. It makes me "normal" (well, as normal as I can be :tongue_smilie:) as in, not overly angry and depressed all the time. If I am not on it, I am very prone to depression, crying, extreme irritability, etc. No thanks!! I have always been on a 50 mg dose, I think the lowest dose is 25 mg?

I would try a different doctor! Honestly, I think these meds react differently on different people with their side effects, since everyone's biochemistry is a little different, so I would rather have someone who would listen to me and be willing to change the Rx if it wasn't working.:grouphug:

:iagree: Wellbutrin made my anxiety a million times worse, and does so for many people. Zoloft is not perfect, but it's pretty standard. The problem is that many people have to creep up their dosage and the side effects sometimes suck. Wish I could help!

I am on Zoloft and it is great for me. It makes me "normal" (well, as normal as I can be :tongue_smilie:) as in, not overly angry and depressed all the time. If I am not on it, I am very prone to depression, crying, extreme irritability, etc. No thanks!! I have always been on a 50 mg dose, I think the lowest dose is 25 mg?

See that's EXACTLY what everyone else says. I'm just an oddball. And most of my issues are stemmed from lack of sleep because I don't sleep well.

I ONLY have anxiety tendencies. I find it interesting that they prescribe the same thing for anxiety, depression, sleep issues, etc. And side effects they list are the things it is supposed to help!

Wellbutrin has been a life saver for me - but everyone's' chemistry is different.

I couldn't take Zoloft - made me really ill.

Are you seeing a therapist? I really believe that having a therapist work directly with your doctor is the best way to go. They can be communicating back and forth about dosing, what works, and what doesn't. I also really don't think going on medication is a good idea unless you can be followed by a therapist for about 6 months. I have had a really good and a really bad experience with therapy. But the really good one made up for the bad one :)

Many primary-care docs just don't have enough experience with the meds....

See that's EXACTLY what everyone else says. I'm just an oddball. And most of my issues are stemmed from lack of sleep because I don't sleep well.

I ONLY have anxiety tendencies. I find it interesting that they prescribe the same thing for anxiety, depression, sleep issues, etc. And side effects they list are the things it is supposed to help!

:grouphug: I do think it's about finding what works for one's personal chemistry.

I'm guessing you've tried different things to help you sleep? Have you not found anything to help with that? I struggle with sleep issues too.

Ya know - Wellbutrin doesn't play well with others....

If you are on other medications, drink alcohol or caffeine regularly - I can see how the stuff would make you feel wonky.

For about the first 3 months it can also worsen insomnia. My doc gave me ambien to use until that part wore off (which it did).

I would highly recommend seeing a psychiatrist. They are much more familiar with the medications and their side effects.

I was treated by my primary care doctor with psych meds and ended up having all sorts of problems. Eventually I saw a psychiatrist who got it all straightened out, and it turns out that my family doctor was just sort of randomly picking drugs. She was picking exactly the wrong things, based upon my side effects, but she didn't know enough about their mechanism to know that. I won't ever have my primary care doc prescribe psych meds again.

:grouphug: I do think it's about finding what works for one's personal chemistry.

I'm guessing you've tried different things to help you sleep? Have you not found anything to help with that? I struggle with sleep issues too.

I have actually never tried anything else.

I'm just a total spazz. I am always doing 100,000 things at a time and I cannot go to sleep. It's like my mind is racing constantly. It's not like I am special and do more than anyone else, it's just that I can't settle my mind. I mean to an unusual degree. I think that is anxiety. The thing about sleep aids is I have highly addictive behaviour. I get addicted to just about anything so I don't even want to try them. I may try going back to the lowest dose and see if it helps at all. I upped it after a few months of nothing and then I started to experience a side effect.

I'm just a total spazz. I am always doing 100,000 things at a time and I cannot go to sleep. It's like my mind is racing constantly. It's not like I am special and do more than anyone else, it's just that I can't settle my mind. I mean to an unusual degree. I think that is anxiety. The thing about sleep aids is I have highly addictive behaviour. I get addicted to just about anything so I don't even want to try them. I may try going back to the lowest dose and see if it helps at all. I upped it after a few months of nothing and then I started to experience a side effect.

I have found 1 Tylenol PM helpful. Melatonin does seem to help me sleep a bit more deeply. I don't have as much trouble falling asleep as I do staying asleep. I blame it on motherhood and being overly sensitive to every little sound (even with a white noise machine) and being so used to waking up every 1-2 hours all night long. :glare:

It has been a little while since I have looked at what was availble. Yes, I know I will speak with my Dr., but I have found she doesn't listen particularly well to me if I do not come in well informed.

She insisted I try Wellbutrin again, even though I said it made my anxiety/temper worse. She insisted it was prescribed for anxiety. I hate it. I feel mad all the time.

So, if I was looking for something without the weightgain issues, that helps with both depression and anxiety, do I have any options?

I have been at this long enough to know that anything that causes weight gain, ultimately leaves me more depressed than less, even if I have improvement in the beginning.

Can I ask how long you tried Wellbutrin in the past? I have been on Celexa for 3 years, and I'm about to go ask my PA about Wellbutrin. I've had problems with weight gain (40lb) on Celexa, and she told me it was not known for that, but when I did some research in the past week apparently 25% of people on it experience weight gain problems. I never had a problem with my weight before I started it. All of the other anti-anxiety meds also have weight gain as a symptom, except Wellbutrin which is supposed to help with weight loss. Through my research, I found that Wellbutrin is known to increase anxiety symptoms in the first 2-4 weeks, but that it helps with anxiety after the body gets used to it. For that reason, many doctors also prescribe a very small dose of benzodiazepine with it for the first 2-4 weeks.

I have found 1 Tylenol PM helpful. Melatonin does seem to help me sleep a bit more deeply. I don't have as much trouble falling asleep as I do staying asleep. I blame it on motherhood and being overly sensitive to every little sound (even with a white noise machine) and being so used to waking up every 1-2 hours all night long. :glare:

Yeah, sucky life and motherhood happens. And being a human pacifier all night for years.

I'm not a DR. nor do I pretend to be one...

HAve you been checked for ADD? You sound exactly like my son, who has ADD. And it make it *so hard* for him to sleep, which made it all worse...

Try fish oil, to start, and Vit D. Like 4 gels of fishoil.

Juniper, lemme talk to Dh tonight when he gets home.

I agree that everyone is different. Wellbutrin made me so anxious that I almost was unable to take something else for fear it would be like that.

I have been taking Lexapro 10mg for three years and it has been a huge blessing. I supplement it with Xanax occasionally and I have been doing better than ever.

Good luck. It is so hard. :grouphug:

I was on well for months and the anxiety got worse. Sometimes docs combine drugs, but I am nursing, so my options are limited. They also agree I have add, but since I am nursing, we'll save that issue for later. :tongue_smilie:

OP, have you tried supplements to help? They don't usually cure anything, but they can really help. I am a mess without my Metafolin, Omega 3 Mood, and B vitamins.

Can I ask how long you tried Wellbutrin in the past? I have been on Celexa for 3 years, and I'm about to go ask my PA about Wellbutrin. I've had problems with weight gain (40lb) on Celexa, and she told me it was not known for that, but when I did some research in the past week apparently 25% of people on it experience weight gain problems. I never had a problem with my weight before I started it. All of the other anti-anxiety meds also have weight gain as a symptom, except Wellbutrin which is supposed to help with weight loss. Through my research, I found that Wellbutrin is known to increase anxiety symptoms in the first 2-4 weeks, but that it helps with anxiety after the body gets used to it. For that reason, many doctors also prescribe a very small dose of benzodiazepine with it for the first 2-4 weeks.

Interesting! The first time though it was about 3 months before I went back to the Dr for something additional. (This was different Dr. before we moved) She prescribed Xanax, which absolutely had no effect on me. It is like my body doesn't register it. Eventually, I just decided it was not worth it.

Fast forward to June when I had my MRSA run in. That was scary! It was the same Dr. who discovered what I was battling was MRSA that really pushed the Wellbutrin. I love the Wellbutrin for everything, but the irrational anger and anxiety. If the xanax had worked, this probably would not be an issue.

It is time for me to have a follow up appt with her, so I am trying to get my ducks in a row. I just hate being so angry!!!! :D

I would highly recommend seeing a psychiatrist. They are much more familiar with the medications and their side effects.

I was treated by my primary care doctor with psych meds and ended up having all sorts of problems. Eventually I saw a psychiatrist who got it all straightened out, and it turns out that my family doctor was just sort of randomly picking drugs. She was picking exactly the wrong things, based upon my side effects, but she didn't know enough about their mechanism to know that. I won't ever have my primary care doc prescribe psych meds again.

I am leaning this way. Years ago, right after the SA, I was seeing a psych and he was amazing. Even then, we were having issues finding a combo that worked. I wish they were not quite so expensive. :tongue_smilie:

I am leaning this way. Years ago, right after the SA, I was seeing a psych and he was amazing. Even then, we were having issues finding a combo that worked. I wish they were not quite so expensive. :tongue_smilie:

Yeah and freaking impossible to find one around here that is covered by insurance.

I just want someone to figure out why I don't sleep. I mean it can't be THAT impossible.

Wellbutrin has been a life saver for me - but everyone's' chemistry is different.

I couldn't take Zoloft - made me really ill.

Are you seeing a therapist? I really believe that having a therapist work directly with your doctor is the best way to go. They can be communicating back and forth about dosing, what works, and what doesn't. I also really don't think going on medication is a good idea unless you can be followed by a therapist for about 6 months. I have had a really good and a really bad experience with therapy. But the really good one made up for the bad one :)

Many primary-care docs just don't have enough experience with the meds....

The answer is yes and no. Not presently, but I have been through massive amounts (wow that is hard to say). I am very pro therapy! The issue is that I just sorta reach a place where I recognize the issues, know I am being triggered, work through my coping skills and so forth. I can also tell when it is just not quite enough. When the anxiety hangs on even though I know I am "okay" and going to be okay.

The "yes" part is that I meet regularly with my priest, who very surprising to me if you know my background and how I DO NOT recommend pastoral counseling, is actually as good if not better than my favorite psychologist was. :D

Yeah and freaking impossible to find one around here that is covered by insurance.

I just want someone to figure out why I don't sleep. I mean it can't be THAT impossible.

Did you read the article on the 1st and 2nd sleeps? Turns out you may be naturally wired to sleep in two different segments. :D

I reacted very poorly to Zoloft, it caused significant rage issues. :glare: I've been on Wellbutrin in the past but wanted to try something a little different. Celexa (another SSRI similar to Zoloft) works much better for me, I wasn't on it long enough (before getting pregnant) to see if it caused weight gain but I noticed it did, ahhhhh, dampen my appetite for teA. So I would like to find one that works well for me, but I want to have my teA and not gain weight. :confused:

Did you read the article on the 1st and 2nd sleeps? Turns out you may be naturally wired to sleep in two different segments. :D

Yeah I really don't want to believe that! But unfortunately it may be true. I could wake up after 3 hours sleep. But I'm sure I'd be a zombie by later.

I reacted very poorly to Zoloft, it caused significant rage issues. :glare: I've been on Wellbutrin in the past but wanted to try something a little different. Celexa (another SSRI similar to Zoloft) works much better for me, I wasn't on it long enough (before getting pregnant) to see if it caused weight gain but I noticed it did, ahhhhh, dampen my appetite for teA. So I would like to find one that works well for me, but I want to have my teA and not gain weight. :confused:

Isn't this the thing!!!? I have this war within myself about this. If it is fixing a chemical imbalance, does that mean I am supposed to be fat and not want teA? Or, am I supposed to find alternatives to manage the anxiety and depression, so that I can still feel like a sexual being? :lol:

I have been on Celexa for 9 years now with no side effects. However, as many others stated, it just varies based on the individual. However, I know MANY of my friends are also on Celexa without side effects. Ihope you find what works. It's amazing what a difference the right med. can make!

Yeah I really don't want to believe that! But unfortunately it may be true. I could wake up after 3 hours sleep. But I'm sure I'd be a zombie by later.

Yes, but then you stay up for two hours, clean, watch tv, and then go back to sleep for another 3 hours. :)

I have talked to more people that take Zoloft and are helped than not. I am the only person I know who did not like it. You could try a low dose and see.

You aren't the only one! I hated taking it. Coming off of it was hell. It took me three tries before I was able to get off it and that took 4 months to do. I will have to be in really bad shape before I'll consider taking another antidepressant again. Thankfully, I figured out my problem was actually low thyroid. Got it fixed and haven't felt the need for antidepressants since even when I went through some horrible life experiences about 3 years ago.

I sympathize terribly with people just trying to find some relief from anxiety and depression. It sucks!

Isn't this the thing!!!? I have this war within myself about this. If it is fixing a chemical imbalance, does that mean I am supposed to be fat and not want teA? Or, am I supposed to find alternatives to manage the anxiety and depression, so that I can still feel like a sexual being? :lol:

:lol: I will say serotonin withdrawal is about one of the worst things ever, too.