Menu

If your child wears a medical alert ID...

what information do you have on it?

Ds is back on his antiseizure meds after having a grand mal seizure last week. He'd been weaned off his meds and cleared two ambulatory EEGs in the spring. His seizures had been completely controlled for several years, and I'd gotten lax about his wearing his medical ID bracelet. I got it out again the other day, but he needs a new one. This one has cute little trucks ;), and the info on it is minimal -- just his condition, his medication, and his blood type. After doing some reading online, I see that many parents put a lot more info on their kids' IDs -- name, condition, meds, blood type, contact numbers, and a doctor's number. I can see the logic in all of those, but I feel funny about putting his name and our phone numbers on it from a privacy standpoint. Then again, if he has a seizure and I'm not with him, I want whoever's with him to have every bit of info they might need.

So what do you do / suggest?

My son's bracelet just says, "Call for vital medical information." It has his Medic-Alert ID number and the Medic-Alert phone number. All the other information that you've listed (conditions, doctor's numbers, medications, contact numbers, blood types, etc.) is all part of his Medic-Alert profile and would be provided to any first responder who calls.

He wears one primarily because of his medications.

He's worn a Medic-Alert bracelet since he was 2. At first, it had condition information on it, but eventually I asked them to change it. He has a variety of mental health issues, along with other things and I don't really want those out there for anyone to see.

On the other hand, I wear a RoadID when I'm running or cycling, and that has my name, address and husband's cell phone number on it, but I'm not wearing it for medical reasons. I'm wearing it as a form of identification. It's no different than keeping my driver's license in my back pocket.

I use the Medic Alert system that has a code number on the bracelet with the MA 800 number to call for details. I do put some details on the bracelet but not the child's name or our phone number.

As far as what medical information to put on the bracelet- I listed the information I thought was most important for an emergency responder to know. So, food and other allergies were paramount for us as DS' allergies are life threatening. Behavioral issues that would cause the child to act in an unexpected way were put on the bracelet as well.

For a child with seizures, I'd definitely want that known immediately so that the responder had some clue as to what was happening. KWIM?

My dd has a medic alert bracelet with the ID number and phone number. She has a very severe insect allergy and carries an epipen and the it says that on the bracelet. It does not have her name, phone number or doctor names. Those are kept at the Medic Alert place. I also wear one and it lists a few of my conditions and the Medic Alert number.

All my children have one, we've used them since the oldest was about 2 years old. Once I either measured wrong or they got the number wrong and we had a tight bracelet. That's been the only glitch I can remember. The folks who take the information like to have neat dx to enter so listing "possible food allergies" for the younger kids sometimes throws them for a loop, but we always work it out.

I've never had to use the service in an emergency though.

what information do you have on it?

Ds is back on his antiseizure meds after having a grand mal seizure last week. He'd been weaned off his meds and cleared two ambulatory EEGs in the spring. His seizures had been completely controlled for several years, and I'd gotten lax about his wearing his medical ID bracelet. I got it out again the other day, but he needs a new one. This one has cute little trucks ;), and the info on it is minimal -- just his condition, his medication, and his blood type. After doing some reading online, I see that many parents put a lot more info on their kids' IDs -- name, condition, meds, blood type, contact numbers, and a doctor's number. I can see the logic in all of those, but I feel funny about putting his name and our phone numbers on it from a privacy standpoint. Then again, if he has a seizure and I'm not with him, I want whoever's with him to have every bit of info they might need.

So what do you do / suggest?

my son is 4. he wears a bee sting allergy band anytime he leaves the house, with us or not. even if he is with me at the park... yhat too.ou never know if he is gonna run off just a little further away...

he also has an epi pen that has to go with him. it is in a red fanny pack. on THAT I have a luggage tag that says his name, his DOB, his allergy and my name and cell phone number. We leave it with him like when he is at Awanas and so on -- i want anyone who has to take care of him to have my number right there and not have to go looking for it.

http://store.allermates.com/allergy-wristbands.html is where i got his -- his is the bee -- http://store.allermates.com/alinstwrso.html -- i wish they had an epi pen one, i'd have him wear too

if I was the OP i'd ally put our number(s) on a med id arm band. the point is for people to be able to care for him if you are not there --o

My kids bracelets have their name, both my and dh's phone numbers, and peanut allergy written on the underside. You can't read it at a glance, it has to be flipped over. The phone #'s are important since they are off on playdates and such now and that's a quick and easy way for any adult to contact us.

• 3 years later...

I worked as an EMT on ambulance and hospitals and recently spoke to other first responders. They recognize MEDIC ALERT BANDS. The classic style. Any other style of bracelets/necklace they think is just jewelry. 

So please be sure its nothing cute. 

DO not put your kids name or family name or number on them. Or address for safety reasons.

MEDIC ALERT band has an 1-800 number for first responders to call and they get the childs full information including medications and allergies and doctors and contacts the parents immediately. 

For one child: AUTISM, may have difficulties with speech, allergic to amoxicillin

The other child, Asthma, Epilepsy, allergic to Sulfa drugs

The other child: Autism, Nonverbal, Subject to wandering, Uses American Sign Language

The other child: Asthma, Allergic to Nuts and Pineapple, Epi Pen on hand. 

• Like 1

I worked as an EMT on ambulance and hospitals and recently spoke to other first responders. They recognize MEDIC ALERT BANDS. The classic style. Any other style of bracelets/necklace they think is just jewelry. 

So please be sure its nothing cute.

As a nurse, I agree with this. The more blatantly medic alert it is, the better. Too many try to be subtle. Don't subtle yourself out of usefulness.

I wouldn't bother with putting blood type on unless it was something unusual - not the standard A/B/AB/O. If they need blood, they'll either type and crossmatch, or use O- if there isn't time for that. They will NOT go by what it says on the bracelet or medical record - a new type and cross is done frequently.

• Like 1