Menu

I want to take a vacation while someone else cleans my house!

I have to have my house clean by Wednesday evening. Clean, spotless, from top to bottom. Why? Because my father just informed me that he's coming up on Thursday and leaving Friday.

I am slowly working on boundaries but am not yet able to text back that it's a bad time.

I'm not sure which option is the best:

1. Forget school and get the kids to help clean.

2. Forget school and have dd help while ds is off being ds.

3. Have the kids do all possible independent work while i clean alone.

4. Run away.

Not getting the house done is not an option. It is seen as me not appreciating all my father has done for us. It is never seen as a mom trying to do it all. It is never seen as education coming first. His mother had 5 kids and "did it all" so i should be able to as well.

I am tired. Both wrists are killing me. Ds had a meltdown this morning. Dd is at violin lesson now, ds has drums tomorrow. Dd's behavior therapist is coming sometime, as is ds's. We have therapies on thursday that im not changing.

Vent over.

In our area, professional cleaning people are costly -- but there are times when they are worth it. I think this is one of those times. I know nobody has money to throw around but a 'spluge' for the sake of hospitality and a happy extended family might well be worth it.

Spend a day (with or without the kids help) to deal with 'stuff' so that the surfaces are accessable to be cleaned. Practice your 'put it all in a basket, then put the basket out of sight' skills.

Then call in the experts to do the real 'cleaning' (floors, bathrooms, kitchen surfaces etc.) On second thought, call around today to get yourself scheduled for tommorrow or Wed morning... then do your half of the work and make yourself scarce when the cleaners come.

It IS awesome that he helps, but i can't wait for the day that he does not help and i can set him up on a comfy air mattress after tossing stuff out of the way.

I wish not being able to afford a cleaning company was the problem. For me, the money just doesnt exist, period.

Violin is done, kids are fed, i'm off to annoy both neighbors with my very good speakers (that my father bought when i was 15! Lol).

Have the kids help you clean. They are old enough to be genuinely helpful. Sorry about your dad's attitude, but it is awesome that he provides for you. Enjoy your clean house. :D

:iagree:

The house needs to be clean anyway, because you and the children live in it.

Don't annoy the neighbors with the speakers. That is childish.

I was sort of kidding about neighbor annoying. My 2 immediate neighbors are not home. I do like music to clean but its not audible outside. :)

The plan is clean everything today and save my room for tomorrow, papers can be done on wednesday while theyre doing school work.

Ds is on yard duty. Not too much to do and hes outside. Dd is helping me inside and will help with the big stuff because of my wrists.

Be careful not to get caught up in sorting, organizing, de-cluttering and/or actually doing a good job of managing all the stuff you are going to encounter. You just want your public spaces clear, clean and pretty -- you won't have time to do that for a whole house if you find yourself getting sidetracked. Shoving all your clutter into file boxes and stacking them in your bedroom is a perfectly accceptable quickie solution.

Be careful not to get caught up in sorting, organizing, de-cluttering and/or actually doing a good job of managing all the stuff you are going to encounter. You just want your public spaces clear, clean and pretty -- you won't have time to do that for a whole house if you find yourself getting sidetracked. Shoving all your clutter into file boxes and stacking them in your bedroom is a perfectly accceptable quickie solution.

I guess its not really that bad because everything is getting put away. The only room severely neglected is my bedroom, which will receive the comment "speed of the leader" multiple times.

I will have to borrow a vacuum because mine is dead.

I'm glad you are playing music, making cleaning fun is always good. Cleaning with the kids is good too. Hopefully it will make it seem like a team effort. If it were me, I would have the 11yo baking some treats while I kept the 7yo right with me so that the 11yo would have something special to show off to Grandpa and you could brag about the 7yo being your special helper. Divide and conquer, that's my motto. :grouphug:

Good Luck!

My Mom had a sign when we were growing up that says, "If you want to visit our family stop in anytime... if you want to visit our house please give a months notice".

:lol: love that sign

I love listening to Flylady's crisis cleaning podcast on my iPod when we have moments like that in my house. It keeps me focused and in just an hour I can see an improvement. More always needs to be done, but at least it helps me fight my way through the important stuff quickly.

ETA: Idnib, we cross posted. Great minds think alike :)

The house is looking really good!

I went to the store to get a new filter for my vacuum (most likely why it isnt working) and on impulse i bought a little microfiber thingy to clean window blinds.... I love this thing!!! Lol. I cleaned all of the downstairs blinds while the (gf) pizza was in the oven. :)

:thumbup: