Menu

Coursera

I didn't want you all to miss this great opportunity.

A lot of great universities/professors from these are giving out free courses.

In my case its mostly learning for fun(kids are way to young for joining these) but the high schoolers will certainly benefit a lot from this.

Coursera.org

You have to create an account, and join the various courses whichever interests you.

Introduction to Mathematical thinking and

The history of the world since 1300s have both started today.

There are various Astronomy, Computers and many other courses coming up.

So check them out and sign up. :001_smile:

Edited by hm2009

Lol...I have signed up for more than 1 at a time....I sincerely hope I can keep up because I love most of the course subjects I have signed up for.

I have signed up for the World History too, and I am trying to keep my 3 yr old keep quite for at least half an hour...there is only so much of history u can understand when a chatter box is on full time....:glare:

I'm doing World History too, listened to the lectures last night and started reading the text today. Definitely rethinking how I might approach teaching history in high school, so it's fulfilling its purpose!

I did the first bit of Udacitys Physics course, and really liked it, but let it sliiiiiiiide after our vacation this summer - apparently self-paced courses are *not* such a good idea, for me!! :tongue_smilie:

Thank you!

I didn't want you all to miss this great opportunity.

A lot of great universities/professors from these are giving out free courses.

In my case its mostly learning for fun(kids are way to young for joining these) but the high schoolers will certainly benefit a lot from this.

Coursera.org

You have to create an account, and join the various courses whichever interests you.

Introduction to Mathematical thinking and

The history of the world since 1300s have both started today.

There are various Astronomy, Computers and many other courses coming up.

So check them out and sign up. :001_smile:

I'm doing World History too, listened to the lectures last night and started reading the text today. Definitely rethinking how I might approach teaching history in high school, so it's fulfilling its purpose!

I did the first bit of Udacitys Physics course, and really liked it, but let it sliiiiiiiide after our vacation this summer - apparently self-paced courses are *not* such a good idea, for me!! :tongue_smilie:

Did you find a cheap source for the textbook anywhere?

The current edition of the World History textbook is pricey but I found the previous edition very reasonable on abebooks.com. Not sure how far off it will be from the current edition but it should serve my purpose.

This is what I did too - I got the 2nd edition for $11 or something like that on Amazon. It seems to match up perfectly with the lectures, and it's a lovely book, so no need to drop $70 for the new one, I'm thinking!

I'm interested in the mythology course, but I doubt I can keep up with all the coursework and studying for quizzes. If I'm not interested in the certificate of completion, can I just take it and do what I can? I don't want to cause any problems with the overall class - or have them drop me, lol, that would be embarrassing.

I'm interested in the mythology course, but I doubt I can keep up with all the coursework and studying for quizzes. If I'm not interested in the certificate of completion, can I just take it and do what I can? I don't want to cause any problems with the overall class - or have them drop me, lol, that would be embarrassing.

I've signed up for some and just listened to the lectures. I never heard of any problem.

I've also not signed out of courses that I found were not something I wanted to do. No one sent me an email saying I'd failed. Or that they'd dropped me.

But if you're concerned about this, an easy way to deal with it is to use a pseudonym and/or sign up with an email acct you don't intend to use for anything else.

Frankly, though, with over 70,000 people signing up for each of these courses, I don't think it's something that's on their radar.

I've signed up for some and just listened to the lectures. I never heard of any problem.

I've also not signed out of courses that I found were not something I wanted to do. No one sent me an email saying I'd failed. Or that they'd dropped me.

But if you're concerned about this, an easy way to deal with it is to use a pseudonym and/or sign up with an email acct you don't intend to use for anything else.

Frankly, though, with over 70,000 people signing up for each of these courses, I don't think it's something that's on their radar.

What can I say? I was traumatized by public school - I'm still worried about stuff going on my permanent record :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the info!

I am about to start Lean Start Ups on Udacity. Last year my son did their Artificial Intelligence Course and he is signed up for a Coursera one starting next week on Computer Human Interaction (I think that is what he chose).

Doing courses like these is a great way for high school students to show they can handle college level work. He was 11th grade last year and finished the course and all the assignments and has a certificate to prove it. I know some of the online places are prepared to email results to colleges.

I did not use this as part of his school course work, but rather as an extra-curricular to show he enjoys challenging himself in his free time.

EdX is another online site like Udacity and Coursera. It is Harvard , MIT and at least one other college.

I'm also doing the Intro to Mathematical Thinking and Start the Greek & Roman Mythology next week. I had finished most of the course readings for the Mythology class already (through my Well Educated Mind lists) and then started working on the others that I didn't have read over the summer. I'm excited to hear the lectures : )

We're trying Intro to Math Thinking too...Devlin has such a charming smile and accent. :001_wub:

katilac, I dropped the World Music course. I used my real name and all but it was fine. I don't think I'll be scarred for life by it. :001_smile: Just pick something you think you will enjoy and do it however you can. I do it for the sake of learning and refuse to feel pressured. :D

Good luck!