Menu

Owner or renter? (Law question)

So, this happened to us a couple of years ago when we rented and now it has happened to someone else we know who rents and I am curious about the law, if there even is one.

You rent your single family dwelling. The owner/landlord of the property puts a political sign in your front yard.

Do you have the right to remove it? You are living there but they own it. So, legally, who would have the right to decide on political yard signage? For that matter, as a renter, are you allowed, legally, to post political signage in the yard?

:lurk5:

I have no idea legally. I know I'd never put a sign in our houses (we're the landlord), but that's possibly because I'm not very political. I haven't even totally decided who I'm voting for yet. (I usually decide the week or night before the election as I'm one of those in the middle between the two major parties.)

I'd be ok if our tenants wanted to put a sign up though. It wouldn't matter which party or issue.

When you rent a single-family house, aren't you also renting the use of the yard? From that standpoint, I would think that the landlord would not be entitled to put political signs in the renters' yard, but the renters would be able to do so. I wonder if how the lease is worded for yard care and upkeep would be relevant (as in, who's responsible?).

I would check with local laws as well. Sometimes cities have additional laws about signs and such. My dad owns several rental properties and has never put a political sign on any yard except maybe his own residence. If renters put signs in the yard, he doesn't mind as long as they are not illegal, immoral, or offensive.

I wouldnt have an issue if my landlord wanted to put a sign up.

You might if you live in a neighborhood which strongly leans one way and the landlord puts a sign up that promotes the opposite. People have been known to egg cars, toilet paper the yard, or otherwise harass folks of differing opinions.

If someone is going to egg my car, I want it to be over disagreement with my views, not someone else's. ;)

You might if you live in a neighborhood which strongly leans one way and the landlord puts a sign up that promotes the opposite. People have been known to egg cars, toilet paper the yard, or otherwise harass folks of differing opinions.

If someone is going to egg my car, I want it to be over disagreement with my views, not someone else's. ;)

:grouphug: Sorry you live in an intolerant neighborhood. That alone would be super annoying to me (regardless of which side they side with). I agree that I wouldn't want ANY sign in such a place.

The way our country is getting so polarized I'd be hesitant to want to put a bumper sticker on my car too - afraid of leaving it in parking lots or whatever. Maybe that's partially why I don't want to pick a candidate until the last minute. I'm not fond of having to choose sides when they are so far apart and so hateful toward each other, esp when I have areas where I agree/disagree with both sides.

It's a scary situation when people can't live and let live.