Menu

Help me understand...teen suicide....

My sister's close friend and the little sister of her long term boyfriend committed suicide a few days ago. She was 15. I found out that she is the second suicide, as another boy in her class committed suicide 10 days prior.

I cannot even wrap my brain around this. My sister is staying at the house of her friend, her boyfriend has flown in from his university (it was both their first semesters at college, but he went to another state and my sister stayed local.)

I do not even know what I am asking...

Why? ....not really....

What can I expect my sister to go through? I am not looking for quick fix answers, more long term, will she make it through this semester? Things to watch for down the road?

My sister was already in a vulnerable place, but she is strong. Please be gentle.

:grouphug: I am so sorry. What a tragedy. :grouphug:

Thank you. :001_smile:

Prayers and good thoughts are very appreciated for these families and the community at large. I know there is a lot of fear of more suicides over the next couple weeks.

teenagers are very emotional. often they feel they can not find happiness and there is no way out except that one. sometimes there is an untreated mental illness, or they were being bullied about something

surviving a friend's suicide can bring a lot of guilt - i should have known, i should have done something. I think the shorter term is the hardest, but the most important thing is to make sure she knows its not her fault, but accept whatever feelings she has, and make sure she will talk to someone if she starts thinking about it. Making kids promise to call someone they trust (some specific person) if they start thinking about suicide is a good step to prevent it.

My sister's close friend and the little sister of her long term boyfriend committed suicide a few days ago. She was 15. I found out that she is the second suicide, as another boy in her class committed suicide 10 days prior.

I cannot even wrap my brain around this. My sister is staying at the house of her friend, her boyfriend has flown in from his university (it was both their first semesters at college, but he went to another state and my sister stayed local.)

I do not even know what I am asking...

Why? ....not really....

What can I expect my sister to go through? I am not looking for quick fix answers, more long term, will she make it through this semester? Things to watch for down the road?

My sister was already in a vulnerable place, but she is strong. Please be gentle.

:grouphug::grouphug:

You are looking for answers in some unanswerable. The desire for answers is understandable, and expected.

There is nothing you can "do", really, in the short or long term. There are a few things to avoid (often platitudes having to do with religion). Also, don't try to fix the feelings, hurry the processing, or avoid the awkwardness.

It's an awful, raw, angry, miserable situation.

Awful.

The Samaritans have a helpline that I've heard many good things about. It might be worth checking our their website and/or calling, either for you or your sister or her boyfriend.

So sorry for you all to go through this, may you find strength in your grief.

:grouphug:

I am so sorry. We went to a funeral for a beautiful, smiling 19yo suicide victim earlier this year. It was HORRIBLE. :grouphug:

Her family has become involved in the yellowribbon.org which works to help prevent teen suicide. They have a lot of information and resources for teens, parents and survivors. Maybe you can find some wisdom there.

The counseling center at her university might be worth looking into. They can provide short term counseling and help her make decisions about continuing her semester.

:iagree: Even high schools generally have a counselor on hand for kids affected by the death of peers. There's no telling what she's going to go through and she might find some help from a counselor if she'll agree to go.

a friend and classmate of my daughter's committed suicide in her junior year... on my birthday in fact.

It was horrible for us parents and all the kids at that small school. I think grief is very unpredictable. One thing my priest's wife told me is that it is like a rubber band. You think you're doing well and then: bang! it snaps back and all those feelings and sadness flood back. Boy was she right. Nearly 5yrs later, my daughter will still come to me from time to time crying about it. She'll light a candle and we'll pray for him and for his family.

One of the things I know helped at the time was that there was a sense of community... both at school - since they were all grieving together - and at our parish. I never felt like anyone was trying to sweep it under the rug and move on.

My boyfriend committed suicide when we were 24 years old. It's been 18 years and I have still not figured it out. I spent YEARS in denial, YEARS being furious, YEARS feeling guilty... You name it. I still don't really understand it.

It is awful. I am so very sorry. :grouphug:

Edited by Heather in NC

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I had a close friend attempt suicide several times during high school. I never knew when she was thinking about it seriously. Obviously she was crying out for help but it never seemed to really help. She was much happier before then normal. She finally did it at 24. I still think about her daily and wish I could have changed things.

I think it is often about a lack of power. A teen's only experience is being a kid and having a lot of people allowed to tell them what they can and can't do, and who they should and shouldn't be. It's hard for them to look ahead a few years and see the autonomy they'll have.

Rosie

As someone who has had suicidal temptation and depression (as a mom of 2 little ones no less) - it is not something you can fathom from a rational mindset. That type of depression is completely irrational. You hate yourself so much you think everyone would be better off without you. That is not rational so don't try to understand it other than to realize that suicide takes the life of people who are so sick, they don't and can't understand how hurtful it is to those who love them.

I'm so sorry for those families and for your sister. I have no sage words of advice because I just can't imagine...the thought of one of my own children taking their own lives makes me sick. I can't imagine the pain, remorse, anger and probably guilt that those parents are going through. Nothing anyone could say would make me feel better in that situation. Just having loved ones around who would understand that I needed lots of time and quiet patience would be the best support I could ask for.

:grouphug: to your sister, to you, to all this tragedy touches.

Where we used to live the Catholic school was about a mile or two down the road. One day I heard sirens and sirens and sirens. Come to find out a 13 year old boy had killed himself at school. It really hit me hard and brought up a lot of things.

When I was teen a boy up the street killed himself outside of his house. My mom had worked with him and it's been maybe 30 years and it still doesn't feel right.

The incident at the school created a lot of discussions with ds. We talked about teen years being tough, but they are just the beginning of life, really.

I don't know, I get the WHY behind someone wanting to just step out of their life, I just don't get the permanency of that one decision. I know there are tons of mental health issues, life issues, etc, so complex behind the thought process.

I find lately that death in teens and even in someone in the prime of their life is so troubling. In the last few years I've lost too many people I had once considered friends, including one to suicide. I miss their presence in this world.

With a child, who hadn't even had a chance to fully see the goodness of this world, it seems doubly painful.

I agree - it is not something that can be understood on a rational level.

Imagine a deep, dark chasm. You're at the bottom looking at a tiny pinprick of light that just gets smaller and smaller. You are helpless, worthless, and everyone would be better off not having to deal with you. The sweet nothingness of death - to not have to feel anymore, to not have to be afraid, to not have to think or hurt.... You believe you are hurting the ones around you by your very existence.

It can be very hard to see a way out once you are too far down.

As for teens - I think teens are more reactive to begin with. I think the point at which they get to the bottom comes faster and with less build up....

It is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Because the frontal lobe of the brain is not fully functioning yet nor fully formed, in terms of the part that governs judgment and the ability to reason and delay gratification many young people suffer . Here is a link to survivors groups and you might want to just stay connected, listen, listen and listen to her. This is awful to live with but going on is what must be done. http://www.suicidology.org/suicide-support-group-directory'>http://www.suicidology.org/suicide-support-group-directory I have watched the ineptitude of so called" processing feelings" with those who are teachers but not trained in psychology and it makes for a gfreat deal of drama and group think. Stick with those who know wnat they are doing rather than trusting the school to handle it,cluster suicides are a relatively recent phenomenon that I think occur due to the saturation of feelings from those who did not even know the person who has died it is just one more drama. I often think if the students who wander around weeping uncontrollably and being drama queens had maybe included the deceased in their clliques, or sat with them at lunch, or defended them against bullies they might have done a hell of a lot more good than indulging in a day or two of penitential grief.The old saw that suicide is not preventable is absolute hogwash. Kicking patients out of mental hospitals in three days after a serious attempt is one of the primary problems. I know in this case your sister was close to the decedent but having had two suicides in my immediate family I know a bit more than your average bear about the dynamics in play. I also litigate wrongful death suits against mental hospitals and providers when they have been negligent. Full disclosure is my rule of thumb.

I am sorry your sister has had such a terrible loss and I hope she can find peace in knowing she was kind and loyal. Here is a link ot survivors of suicide groups by state. There might be one that is for youths and that would be best as the adults there do not and should not censor the truths and graphic visual residue of the death they are dealing with. http://www.suicidology.org/suicide-support-group-directory

I agree - it is not something that can be understood on a rational level.

Imagine a deep, dark chasm. You're at the bottom looking at a tiny pinprick of light that just gets smaller and smaller. You are helpless, worthless, and everyone would be better off not having to deal with you. The sweet nothingness of death - to not have to feel anymore, to not have to be afraid, to not have to think or hurt.... You believe you are hurting the ones around you by your very existence.

It can be very hard to see a way out once you are too far down.

:iagree: You don't even think about how it will affect others...

As someone who has had suicidal temptation and depression (as a mom of 2 little ones no less) - it is not something you can fathom from a rational mindset. That type of depression is completely irrational. You hate yourself so much you think everyone would be better off without you. That is not rational so don't try to understand it other than to realize that suicide takes the life of people who are so sick, they don't and can't understand how hurtful it is to those who love them.

My son's best friend tried to commit suicide this summer. Thank you for this. I needed to read that.

To the OP- I am so very sorry.