Menu

Writing multiplication daily? Is this effective?

DD9 knows some (but not all) of her multiplication tables. She still counts them on her fingers and that drives me crazy. I have been investigating things that may help her memorize them and one thing that I've read several times is the suggestion that she could write them every day.

Is this effective? If not, do you have other suggestions? If it is effective, should I have her write them in table format or just list them out?

Thanks! :)

DD9 knows some (but not all) of her multiplication tables. She still counts them on her fingers and that drives me crazy. I have been investigating things that may help her memorize them and one thing that I've read several times is the suggestion that she could write them every day.

Is this effective? If not, do you have other suggestions? If it is effective, should I have her write them in table format or just list them out?

Thanks! :)

Hmmm that's a great idea! I would just do one set of numbers at a time, like 6's or 7's. you could also have her read them out loud perfectly to the wall 7x each day. this works pretty wel for my ids with bible verses.

I had ds write out his own flash cards and then quiz himself on them daily. I had him do just 1 a week, so one week he would do the 9's, then the next week the 8's, and so forth.

I also had him first create his own multiplication table and once he had them down cold we would mark them off. He earned $0.10 for each one which was a great motivator for him.

depends on learning style.

For my visual learner, making a poster, using color to see symmetries and trivial problems and perfect squares did the trick. We put it by her bed, she glanced at it several times each day - and learned the tables in the shortest time, after dragging her feet with flash cards and other methods.

ETA: It was especially helpful to visualize that, after using the communtative property (6*7=7*6) and after seeing that one already knows the trivial problems (1s,2s,5s, 10s) there really are only 26 problems that one actually has to memorize.

Edited by regentrude

I use a set of multiplication records that I used to memorize my multiplication tables in grade school. Yes, I said records. :D My ds still listens to a table or two everyday. Then I write up one of the tables on a piece of paper and challenge my son to write down the answers in 30 seconds or less. He can't do that unless they're memorized. He has them down cold now.

We have had success with xtramath.org. It's free and emails you progress reports. It only takes 10 minutes a day.

My kids are using this. My son is still progressing pretty slow, but I think it's more a processing thing than a memory think at this point.

My DD who had her tables memorized and is really good, thanked me for making her use the program this summer. She said she was the only child able to finish the timed tests given out this week. (7th grade)

We worked for years on this and I still don't think he has them down perfectly. :/ It seems to help him do his math work more quickly and with less frustration when he warms up with a review before the lesson, though. So every day he spends 10 minutes reviewing basics at FreeRice.com and then moves on to his lesson.

Good luck!

I'm seeing some progress with allowing him to use a Mult. chart, and moving him along to multi-digit x and division.

I've been using Strayer-Upton book 1 as review/practice. I like the way it focuses on x2, then x3 and x2, then x4 and x3 and x2...hitting it from all angles (mult/div/fractions). As my 9yo memorizes them (from looking them up 100 times!), he stops needing the chart. It's slow progress, but it seems to be sticking this time...yep, THIS time.:001_huh:

I think we'll be ready for algebra by the time he gets those stinkin' facts down.:tongue_smilie:

It worked for DD. What I did was alternated writing the tables out(up to12x12) with oral recitation. Within a week, she had them down pat.

We're in the maintenance phase now where she recites them once a month or so, or whenever I observe her taking a pause to recall.