Menu

Things that should not be fruit flavored

mirth

Well a British Columbian micro brewery brews a raspberry beer -- Granville Island. I would have agreed with you until I tasted that beer. It's yummy. Not sweet at all. Dry and refreshing. Now I'm wondering if it's too late in the season for me to get some tomorrow :).

Oh and same brewery makes a winter ale that is super yummy.

As far as what should not be fruit flavored: Anything with artificial banana flavoring. That is the grossest taste in the world!

I agree!! I thought I must be the only one, but I see there are a few on here.

I do not agree with the OP, though.

Fruit salsa is yummy. I'm not much of a beer drinker (or any alcohol really), but I have tasted a fruit flavored beer (raspberry maybe? I can't remember) and it was not bad.

Cream cheese should never be pink. Period.

:cringe: I need to remember to put on my American reading glasses. :cringe:

:D

Rosie

Now I'm curious...and a little afraid.:001_huh:;) To google or not, that is the question.

I'll give you a hint -in Aus we use the term full stop because period means something else also pinkish but hopefully not cream cheesy :lol:

Edited by sewingmama

Other fruits. My food store carries "grape flavored apples," which I initially thought were some interesting hybrid or just a florid description. Nope. Just regular apples with artificial grape flavoring.

NASTY!!!

My Indian coworker gave me flower flavored candy. Seriously. A hard candy that tasted like roses. It was like eating old-lady hand lotion. Blech!

I tried them once! They were thoroughly disgusting!

Indian people love rose flavoring. They have this Ruh Afza drink that is a violent pink that includes roses. My grandma, who is NOT of Indian origin, has always carried around in her purse these small white violet flavored hard candies that contain a single fennel seed inside of them. They are tasty. I don't mind flower flavored things. My favorite flavoring of that more unusual sort is pandan, otherwise known as kewra or screwpine. The extracts also generally contain green coloring. It has a lovely smell, sort of like vanilla.

http://beelittlefood.blogspot.com/2012/05/pandan-extract.html

That makes me want to make some from scratch...and then drizzle some fresh hot fudge over the top of it

Yum! Or even a roasted banana!

Pineapple on pizza...

i like those!

I like Shiner Ruby Red beer. The slight zing the grapefruit gives it is just right for summer (even a Texas summer!)

I don't know if they make mango salsa in Mexico, but I like mango with chile and lime and I think that's sort of similar.

I've got to agree with the :ack2: for fruit flavored toothpaste though. That's just gross. Not even my sweet tooth kids will use it and that's the ultimate diss.

I like Shiner Ruby Red beer. The slight zing the grapefruit gives it is just right for summer (even a Texas summer!)

I don't know if they make mango salsa in Mexico, but I like mango with chile and lime and I think that's sort of similar.

I've got to agree with the :ack2: for fruit flavored toothpaste though. That's just gross. Not even my sweet tooth kids will use it and that's the ultimate diss.

In the Philippines they serve mangos with super salty brine shrimp on top. I don't know if they are fermented like fish sauce, but they are very ripe.

I want to know:

• Do people in Mexico eat fruit flavored salsa?

They must, tomatoes and a fruit after all. I love fruit salsas, they rock, pineapple, mango, peach, and watermelon all make great salsa, as done lime.

Pineapple on pizza...

Laura

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

This is one of my big pizza pet peeves (along with BBQ sauce instead of pizza sauce). :ack2:

Erm I love pineapple pizza with BBQ sauce. One of my favorites.

:iagree: Never.

Cream cheese should never be pink. Period.

Blasphemy!! Here are just a few delicious things that turn cream cheese pink:

Sriracha

Lox

Raspberry Chipotle Sauce

all are truly awesome. :)

And I can't believe that so many of you have heard of Grapples (much less that they're still sold)!!! I thought they were long gone. I bought a pack many years ago, thinking they were some cool new hybrid with a tart, grapey flavor. Came to find out that they were "apples" with all the texture and flavor of a grape scratch-and-sniff sticker. I was horrified that someone even created them and couldn't throw them away fast enough. YUCK.

As for fruit-flavored beer, I love a slice of lemon in my wheat beer, Shiner Ruby Red is pure summer happiness, and I have no objection to a fabulous Cherry Lambic (especially when mussels are cooked in it)!

Edited by sweetbasil

I, too, am okay with fruit in salsa, but I am likely to be at odds with most people when I say chocolate should not be fruit flavored.

Want to talk about things bacon shouldn't be in?

I don't think there is anything that bacon shouldn't be in. Well, at least I didn't before I became vegetarian. ;)

I don't care for fruit ice creams like strawberry or peach, but I know lots of people like that stuff.

If I'm going to take in all those calories, it is NOT going to taste like a low fat, healthy food! It's gonna taste like Chocolate, Peanut Butter, and/or Caramel!

Indian people love rose flavoring. They have this Ruh Afza drink that is a violent pink that includes roses. My grandma, who is NOT of Indian origin, has always carried around in her purse these small white violet flavored hard candies that contain a single fennel seed inside of them. They are tasty. I don't mind flower flavored things. My favorite flavoring of that more unusual sort is pandan, otherwise known as kewra or screwpine. The extracts also generally contain green coloring. It has a lovely smell, sort of like vanilla.

http://beelittlefood.blogspot.com/2012/05/pandan-extract.html

I like rose flavouring. I don't like old lady soap flavouring! I've not tried violet yet. I guess we have lavender farms here, rose water is easy to buy, but there's no violet farms or violet essence for sale!

Rosie

I like rose flavouring. I don't like old lady soap flavouring! I've not tried violet yet. I guess we have lavender farms here, rose water is easy to buy, but there's no violet farms or violet essence for sale!

Turkish delights *must* be rose flavoured. I think it is a rule.

Ooh. I don't know. I had some awesome Turkish delight style sweets that were obviously not real Turkish delight because they weren't rose, lemon or pistachio flavoured. They were lamington flavoured!

Rosie

Ooh. I don't know. I had some awesome Turkish delight style sweets that were obviously not real Turkish delight because they weren't rose, lemon or pistachio flavoured. They were lamington flavoured!

Rosie

I cannot even imagine. There is something very special about Australia!

I bought some orange water to make Turkish delight because sometimes the rose is just too perfumey for me. I've yet o make it.

Has anyone mentioned avocado smoothies yet? I kinda like 'em . . .and this from a girl who refused to taste an avocado until she was 29.

Can I just say one more time that ALL salsa is fruit salsa.

I'll give you a hint -in Aus we use the term full stop because period means something else also pinkish but hopefully not cream cheesy :lol:

It means that here too. It's a multi-purpose word. :D

I honestly cannot think of many things that should never be fruit flavored. Not even toothpaste. I had a friend growing up that would nearly vomit at the taste of mint. Clearly many things can be fruit flavored for good reason.

Oh! Potato chips. No way could they ever pull that off... :tongue_smilie:

It means that here too. It's a multi-purpose word. :D

I honestly cannot think of many things that should never be fruit flavored. Not even toothpaste. I had a friend growing up that would nearly vomit at the taste of mint. Clearly many things can be fruit flavored for good reason.

Oh! Potato chips. No way could they ever pull that off... :tongue_smilie:

Banana chips