Menu

Draw Your World..

kolamum

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
What awesome timing I have! I will be awaiting a full and detailed review. :D no pressure.

Are there any previews of it anywhere?

:lurk5:

http://for-one-another.blogspot.com/2010/11/draw-your-world-by-winterpromise.html << Review

http://www.winterpromise-forum.com/showthread.php?9175-Draw-Your-World << Preview - but not a spend $19 plus S&H preview. Since it's lists and outline maps. So we still need a review.

Edited by mtcougar832

I'm so sorry I never got back! I still haven't had time to sit down and THOROUGHLY look through it. I'll make a point to check it out in a bit or tomorrow afternoon. ;) I've opened it & glanced at it, but that's about it.

Lauren, what two cores are your children going to be in? I have two children in different cores too. The first year will be the priciest, after that the cores will get passed down. Still doesn't make it easy the first year. ;)

I'm so sorry I never got back! I still haven't had time to sit down and THOROUGHLY look through it. I'll make a point to check it out in a bit or tomorrow afternoon. ;) I've opened it & glanced at it, but that's about it.

Lauren, what two cores are your children going to be in? I have two children in different cores too. The first year will be the priciest, after that the cores will get passed down. Still doesn't make it easy the first year. ;)

Did you decide on Sonlight over Winterpromise? I am going to miss your WP posts : )

Both! :lol:

I have one child doing WP Animal Worlds

The other is in SL Core F & we'll use a bit of the CAW to fill in some of the "missing" countries if we can do it without feeling rushed. If not the other one will end up with two years of geography. ;)

So the manual explains that there are 18 National Geography standards. They range from really simple {how to use maps} to more complex {mastering the uses of geography}. The idea of the book is that you should be able to complete all 18 of these standards with the curriculum.

WP actually sells it to accompany their Children Around The World Core. That's how we intend to use it. For my 11 year old who all ready knows continents & oceans the first few lessons could be skipped or lumped together if he needed review. For my 9 year old who doesn't have as much geographical knowledge they'll be a good starting point.

The lessons start with learning continents names & shapes & then labeling the continents. It eventually moves from labeling continents as a whole to working on one continent at a time & labeling it's rivers, mountains, cities, countries, etc. There is a lot of stuff that's meant to be labeled so they clearly state in the instructions that you should pick & choose what you want your child to label based on age & ability.

For us, I think starting out we'll start small & add to that knowledge over the year. As in, learn x amount of countries in say Europe, & then build more off of that. Of course apps like Stack The Countries will help with that.

Unless I'm understanding the curriculum wrong you'll also learn how to locate places on maps with longitude & latitude. Based on this knowledge you will then locate places via this knowledge & eventually be able to draw maps by knowing this.

So while the curriculum does have blank maps in it, it's not just blank maps. It has more then that. ;) FWIW, I bought this item brand new a matter of weeks ago. The front cover clearly states that the resource can be printed as looseleaf worksheets. Because that's on there, I take that to mean I'm legally permitted to run copies off if needed for my family. Under that it has extra information about a Digital License, but I bought the hardcopy, so I presume that's on both versions.