Menu

South Beach diet - need ideas

I decided to give South Beach a go after a couple folks said it really worked for them. I get the first 2 weeks are limited. Does anyone have any recipes to share or food combo ideas they especially liked? I checked out the book from the library today and hope to get as much understanding as I can so I can get started soon

Loaded salads with everything I could stuff in them -- my favorite add-ins include artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes, ham, different kinds of cheeses, pecans, hard-boiled eggs, avocado, any vegetable I could chop up and add, etc.

Bell peppers are unlimited, and their sweetness saved me many times. I think you're supposed to be kind of limited with soft cheeses, but I wasn't worried about fats, just carbs, so I ate loads of bell peppers with goat cheese (in a ramekin, warmed, drizzled with olive oil and freshly ground pepper, yum!)

Lunch meats -- herbed turkey and sliced cheese wrapped in romaine leaves, with mustard and mayo in the middle of the roll, or just rolled up by themselves.

Cheeseburgers without the bun, on a bed of romaine or spring mix or just alone with slices of avocado on top, with mustard on the side.

Cucumber chunks with the tiniest bit of balsamic vinegar and lots of good olive oil.

Avocado chunks with crumbled goat cheese and olive oil and a little salt, or with chunks of good swiss and a little bit of oil and vinegar.

Tons of nuts -- Costco sells containers of roasted, salted mixed nuts that we pretty much live on for snacks. They're probably more salty than one really needs, but I'm not that worried about our salt intake.

Aidell's chicken apple sausage in its various flavors. We buy ours at Costco for a really good price, but you can buy smaller packages at regular grocery stores too. I think the regular chicken apple sausage has some carbs in it, but some of the other kinds don't.

Bacon. Really good sausage from a local farm. At least a Tbsp of good coconut oil a day. Lots of water. And any vegetable that struck my fancy :D

Good luck! I felt the best I've ever felt when I was eating low carb like this. I really, really need to get back to it.

yummmy ideas!!!!

Thanks :D I had to have variety or I wasn't going to make it! I forgot about chicken--I would make chicken breasts and put things on them that I would normally put on carb-laden things, like nacho toppings or pizza toppings. That wasn't my favorite, but when the rest of the family was having nachos for dinner, it kept me on the wagon.

Oh, and taco salads--everything you'd put on a taco, but in a bowl instead. Actually, I think I might make that this week!

Grilled meats and roasted veggies, with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar drizzled over the top... like steak with eggplant, bell peppers & zucchini, or chicken with asparagus and roasted tomatoes. Sometimes I crumble a little feta or goat cheese on top too.

As someone else said, loaded salads. One of my favorites is mixed baby greens with cucumber, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, grilled chicken, red onion, avocado, and black beans, with bbq-ranch dressing.

On nights that my family wants spaghetti, I go ahead and make [turkey] sausage-laden marinara, with some added sauteed mushrooms & onions, and then I serve mine over spaghetti squash instead of pasta.

Fajitas without the tortillas - romaine lettuce leaves work pretty well!

Soups are good too - I load them up with veggies, beans, and lean protein, and sprinkle cheese on top.

Chili is another favorite here. I make a mean 3 bean-turkey chili. We top it with chopped tomatoes and avocado, and some minced fresh cilantro. The kids and dh have corn muffins with this, I just skip that part.

Breakfast foods: I love sauteed kale with poached eggs, salsa, and some crumbled cotija cheese. Baked eggs, veggie omelets, nonfat Greek yogurt with a little stevia and vanilla... yum!

Snacks: I keep nuts and string cheese ready at all times. Alongside some raw veggies, these are great!

On nights that my family wants spaghetti, I go ahead and make [turkey] sausage-laden marinara, with some added sauteed mushrooms & onions, and then I serve mine over spaghetti squash instead of pasta.

Chili is another favorite here. I make a mean 3 bean-turkey chili. We top it with chopped tomatoes and avocado, and some minced fresh cilantro. The kids and dh have corn muffins with this, I just skip that part.

I like to eat spaghetti sauce over zucchini, that I've sauteed with some onion and garlic. It's wonderful with some grated cheese on top.

Do you mind sharing your bean and turkey chili recipe? I have been wanting to try it with turkey meat.

3 Bean Turkey Chili

Ingredients:

1 can each kidney beans (light or dark red); garbanzo beans; black beans - drained and rinsed

1 large (28 oz) can crushed or petite-diced tomatoes

1 package ground turkey (I think it is 1.25 pounds)

2 medium or 1 large yellow onion, chopped

1 chipotle pepper (2 if you like more spice. I get them in cans with adobo sauce)

1 -2 tsp. ground cumin

1/4 cup chili powder

1/2 tsp. smoked paprika

1/2-1 tsp. ground oregano

1/2 tsp. each salt and ground black pepper

(secret ingredient = 1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder)

1-2 Tbsp. olive oil

Directions:

Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot. Add the onion and saute until golden brown. Add turkey, and dry seasonings. Cook, stirring frequently, until the turkey is well browned. Add the beans and the tomatoes. Cut the chipotle pepper(s) in half, remove seeds, and mince, then add to pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook about 30-45 minutes. Even better the next day!

Before my food allergies were diagnosed I did SBD.

My favourite breakfast, especially during Intro was the chocolate breakfast shake.

Chocolate shake

1/2 cup lowfat milk
1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese
1/4 cup eggbeaters
1-2 Tbsp cocoa powder (depending on how chocolatey you like it – must count calories toward sweet treats)
1 Tbsp Splenda
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup crushed ice

Blend thoroughly. Comes out like thick ice cream, especially if you put it in a freezer cup.

Here's a couple other breakfast ones I loved:

SPICED BEAN PANCAKES

1 15 oz can of garbonzo beans

4 large eggs

1/2 cup wheylow (I use Splenda)

2 tsp baking powder

2 Tbsp oil (I skip the oil and works fine)

1 tsp vanilla

1 Tbls Pumpkin Pie Spice (I used allspice and cinnamon because I didn’t have pumpkin pie spice)

1/4 cup chopped walnuts (OPTIONAL - I did not use but great if you want extra protein)

Process your rinsed and drained beans in a food processor until smooth.* Add all of the other ingredients and process until mixed.* Beat the bejeezus out of it!* Pour mixture onto a heated no-stick skillet (325 degrees) sprayed with Pam.* Flip them over when pancakes “bubble†on top, just like regular pancakes.

Makes 12 1/4cup pancakes = 4 servings*

BLT South Beach Style

Put a slice of Canadian bacon on top of a romaine lettuce leaf; top the bacon with a thick slice of tomato and some steamed spinach OR some sautéed onions and pepper.* Roll it up and enjoy!* You can have two of these, and I love them.

A Variation on the Above

Start with 2 slices of Canadian bacon.* Top each with a thick slice of tomato.* Then add some steamed spinach and top with a slice of reduced fat American Cheese.* Pop under the broiler for a few minutes (toaster oven works too) until the cheese melts!

Mock Cinnabon 
1/2 cup cottage cheese with one packet of Splenda and a tsp of cinnamon (or to taste). Top with a few chopped pecans. You can heat this in the microwave for 10 secs. to take the chill off.

Ricotta Crepes (serves 2)
For 2 crepes: 2 eggs, 2 Tbsp. ricotta, splash vanilla, dash cinnamon & nutmeg, packet of Splenda. Spray skillet with Pam. Cook in skillet until top looks dry, then flip and cook for a few seconds. (You might need to spray again). 
For filling (Phase 1): 1/4 cup. ricotta or cottage cheese, splash lemon juice, dash cinnamon, packet of splenda. (you could add a dash of cocoa powder here, too) 
I mix the filling in the food processor, put that in a separate bowl, then mix the crepes because I'm paranoid about raw eggs. (I also mix up a couple days' worth of the mixtures at a time.) For Phase 2, you could add rasp./strawberries to the filling. I also top mine in either phase w/ a little Reddi Whip.

MOCK FRENCH TOAST 
1 egg 
4 egg whites 
1/4 cup fat free ricotta cheese (I use part-skim) 
1/2 tsp vanilla 
1 tsp Splenda 
Sprinkle of cinnamon 
Combine all the ingredients thoroughly and pour like pancakes on a hot skillet. 
Makes 2 servings

ASPARAGUS WRAPPED IN HAM

6 asparagus spears (steamed until tender, but still a bit crunchy)

6 thin slices deli ham (about 2 ounces worth)

1 tsp. mayo

Spread ham slices with a touch of mayo.* Put asparagus stalk at one side and roll up.

I also love to do:

Slice of bacon, "fried" egg, tomato, avocado, slice of bacon. So yum!

Somewhere I have a list of recipes for Phase one that I linked up & everything, want me to post it?

[quote name=momto2Cs;4318342

Soups are good too - I load them up with veggies' date=' beans, and lean protein, and sprinkle cheese on top.

Chili is another favorite here. I make a mean 3 bean-turkey chili. We top it with chopped tomatoes and avocado, and some minced fresh cilantro. The kids and dh have corn muffins with this, I just skip that part.[/quote]

I'd love your recipes for soup and chili!!! We really enjoy chili in the winter. I was lamenting on my previous diet that soups and chilis were not on the meal plan. It is a relief to know they are now!