Menu

Miquon Vs Mammoth Math

Caterpiller

I adore Miquon and can't speak highly enough about it. I wrote about my experience with it here and why I supplement this with Singapore here. I don't have much experience with MM. I won one workbook awhile back and it didn't impress me that much. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance but I just loved the curriculum that we were using so didn't really give it much time.

We use MM and LOVE it. It took us a year and half to find a curric that worked for both of us. We went through RS, MEP, and Singapore. Finally, MM is it. We also do Miquon math labs on Fridays just to shake things up a bit and give her a chance to play with the c-rods. I think they complement each other well. I still don't GET Miquon (how to teach it), but I watch the educationunboxed videos and we play lots of c-rod games.

They are pretty different approaches. Miquon is very "hands-on" and takes a "discovery" approach. Math Mammoth is workbooks and walks the student through the concept in a very step-by-step-by-step way. I've never been able to make heads or tails about how I would actually use Miquon despite looking it over numerous times. Math Mammoth I really like even though I've chosen to make Singapore our "spine" and just use some of the MM single-topic "blue" workbooks as a supplement.

They are pretty different approaches.

:iagree:

We had fun doing intensive Miquon during the end-of-year holidays after Gr1, picking and choosing from several Miquon books. Now we use MM as our main program. It teaches well, but is rather boring from my dd's POV! Given the choice between MM and Miquon, I would definitely choose to do Miquon.

But if I really had a bigger list to choose from, I'd do MEP instead of both these. We did MEP as our main program in Gr1 and really enjoyed it. The main reason we do MM now is because MEP is teacher-intensive and I have less time to work with dd. I can hand MM to her after a bit of teaching, and her dad can help her if needed.