Menu

Reason to stop homeschooling?

Hi, I am in a bit if a dilemma and because of this, I am considering sending my son to regular school. We are Filipinos and have been speaking to our son in our language, primarily because we want him to learn our language first. The issue is that, I feel like he is now having a hard time understanding English during conversations. He can read in English, and he does understand the materials, but when I give him some verbal instructions, he seems confused following them. I fear that since all the grandmas living with me speak our language, this language thing might be a huge problem in the future, especially during test taking. I have considered posting this in the Bilingual thread but I thought Id do it here first and seek a broader audience. Your thoughts are appreciated!:001_smile:

PS: I was thinking of sending him to a preschool from 9am-1pm Mon to Friday just so he can mingle with English speaking people, but he might be too tired when he comes back:001_huh:

He's only 3, fluent in 2 languages and literate in English? Relax! Sounds like he's doing fine. If you want to send him to preschool or a mother's day out program for language exposure, that might be beneficial, but I would not try and do any home instruction on those days.

He's only 3, fluent in 2 languages and literate in English? Relax! Sounds like he's doing fine. If you want to send him to preschool or a mother's day out program for language exposure, that might be beneficial, but I would not try and do any home instruction on those days.

at 3, if you want to send him to preschool to increase his exposure to spoken English, I would think a program that was 3 days a week would be enough. He's already reading in English--he's really doing great.

:iagree:What they said. Don't stress over this. Send him for the fun of it if you are comfortable with the preschool.

:iagree: Sounds like a bright boy!

at 3, if you want to send him to preschool to increase his exposure to spoken English, I would think a program that was 3 days a week would be enough. He's already reading in English--he's really doing great.

:iagree: I agree with Ravin, too. He's only 3. You can relax a little bit. He'll get more exposure to English as he gets older.

I worked with many bilingual children before I had my kids. Most of the families only spoke their native language at home and the kids were exposed to English at day school. They picked it up very quickly and really had no problems in understanding and transitioning between the languages. If you want to try a day program for a few hours a week to increase exposure, then do that, but I agree that it sounds like he's doing just fine considering his age.:001_smile:

fwiw, in my experience, the second language oral fluency often appears after age 3. he's ahead in many areas, so i would just wait and see. if by next year, you feel he's in the same place, then maybe he could join a sports team or gymnastics or anything really where instruction is given in english. there is something about combining the body movement with the second language that helps....

:grouphug:

ann

Send him to preschool- he doesn't need any other formal instruction. I would also suggest since you mention that grandparents are in the home, let them speak his native language, and you speak English. That way he is exposed to both at home, at the same time, and he will be fluent in both. just my .02

I would add an activity or two outside the home in English. It could be preschool a couple of days a week or other activity, but I would continue with Filipino at home. If later you are still worried, you could sign up for Kumon reading, join library book clubs etc where the emphasis is in the use and enjoyment of the English language. Don't give up, it's way too soon for that!

Both our dc are bilingual. They only spoke Farsi until they were about 3 or so. They picked up English naturally from their environment. Dh and I, as well as grandparents only spoke to them in Farsi. I never had to teach them English, nor was I concerned about that. Now, sadly, their Farsi is no longer as good as it was when they were younger. But they still understand it thoroughly and speak it when in a Farsi environment. Yes, just like your son, our children went through that phase where they had a tough time understanding English. That stage soon passes. You're doing a fabulous job by teaching him Filipino. First of all, being bilingual before the age of 12 is ideal. I've read that time and time again. Once 12 hits, accents and pronunciation become a challenge. Second, when he wants to learn a 3rd language - Spanish, French, whatever - he will have a much easier time than children who are not bilingual. By the way, I learned English the same way as my own dc and your ds - at the age of 4. I just picked it up from my environment in a matter of months. He will also. I would not stop homeschooling for this reason. No way. You're doing a great job. He's in a wonderful environment with his grandparents. Make the most of it. Your son is blessed. :)

Hi, I am in a bit if a dilemma and because of this, I am considering sending my son to regular school. We are Filipinos and have been speaking to our son in our language, primarily because we want him to learn our language first. The issue is that, I feel like he is now having a hard time understanding English during conversations. He can read in English, and he does understand the materials, but when I give him some verbal instructions, he seems confused following them. I fear that since all the grandmas living with me speak our language, this language thing might be a huge problem in the future, especially during test taking. I have considered posting this in the Bilingual thread but I thought Id do it here first and seek a broader audience. Your thoughts are appreciated!:001_smile:

PS: I was thinking of sending him to a preschool from 9am-1pm Mon to Friday just so he can mingle with English speaking people, but he might be too tired when he comes back:001_huh:

Whether you choose to homeschool him or not, a BIG :thumbup: for raising a child fluent in his/her native tongue.

FWIW, my DD is bilingual. She spoke only our native language the initial 3 years. At 3, we enrolled her in a Montessori where English was the primary spoken language. She took off after that, but continued to speak grammatically incorrect English,(as the rest of the children, her peers, were also not native English speakers). The strange part is, she was reading in English way before she gained fluency in speaking.(scratching head)

She did not improve until I started talking to her in English at home.My DH, his parents and mine continued to speak to her in our native language.

Now, at 7, she's fluent in both languages.