Menu

FLL 3 ?

campmom

I would personally jump into FLL2 in the scenario you describe, but I would do a lesson or two everyday and get through it quickly. FLL3 would be much easier if your children had a bit of a foundation first, like knowing the definitions of the parts of speech, the basics of capitalization and punctuation, etc... I would skip The memory work in 2 and start it in 3 if it is a part of the program you want to incorporate. We've used FLL 1-3 and are using 4. FLL3 is a bit of a jump in skill compared to 1&2, diagraming sentences is introduced and if you don't quite know the inference between a noun and a verb, it might be a really steep learning curve.

My ds jumped right into FLL3 in third grade and it went really well for him. He had no prior grammar instruction but he was a very advanced reader so he was used to seeing properly written sentences. The memory work was a little tricky to begin with but we began recording his recitation on a handheld recorder and he would listen to it repeatedly. By the middle of the year, he could memorize a poem in a few days. There are only maybe 6 poems so I guess you could just skip the memory work portion if you think it will be a problem.

It was a great program; I'm glad we did it!

We are doing it with a second grader and it is a breeze. I will point out that even though it starts with nouns, it does not spend much time with drilling what a noun is or a pronoun is like FLL2 did. Personally I think it is enough but they make a comment in the teachers book about taking time to drill it if your child needs more time spent on these.