Menu

Can't seem to lose weight despite diet

I can't do no carbs - I get very dizzy. I tried it in High School. It's hard enough for me to diet because I seem to have blood sugar issues (always have) and if I get past the hunger point, I start to shake, my blood sugar plummets and then I CRAVE sugar and food for hours to get it back up and end up way overeating. And I've had my blood sugar tested - nothing weird ever turns up...I think I'm just very sensitive to the fluctuations up and down.

I am definitely focusing on the protein and fat to keep me full. I have an egg on a piece of whole wheat toast for breakfast at 10AM. I have cheese and crackers mid-afternoon. Usually I have some type of chicken or pork for dinner.

I have been walking, which I normally don't do. I was wondering if maybe losing the weight once last year is making it harder to lose this year. I do believe in my body recognizing a good weight and sticking there. I seemed to stick at 119 all through college and beyond with no effort regardless of what I ate day to day, despite ups and downs in habits. And that's not just because I'm lucky - I hist 139lbs by HS graduation. I just want to get back to 119! But that's another 9 pounds. I'd even be thrilled with 5 pounds but I need the motivation of making progress to keep me going.

And by the way, I am 38yrs old.

Brownie

I was --notice I say was--hypoglycemic. To the point of almost passing out a few times a week from low blood sugar. I was always hypoglycemic, it just got worse as I got older.

On June 28th I went no carb, as a last ditch effort to not go on medications. No carb, no sugar, high fat.

As of today, I've not had one episode of dizziness since, and I've dropped from a high weight of 156 to 127.

I'm piddling with the idea of losing a few more pounds to see how I look.

I'm 41. I feel incredible. I don't need coffee anymore at all, I just have that much energy.

Okay, I had to update here. I had posted earlier in this thread that I had just started lifting weights and was already starting to drop weight. This is after almost a year of trying to lose weight, diligently eating 1200 calories and exercising on my elliptical on a regular basis. I have now lost 5 pounds! I only want to lose 2 or 3 more. AND, if I do eat a little extra at a family get together or something, I no longer gain 3 pounds overnight. No more wild weight fluctuations.

I've also stopped having back pain and I am sleeping solidly through the night.

I am only lifting weights 2X/week for about 30 minutes. I do a 5 min warm-up on the elliptical, lift weights for 10 minutes, do another 5 minutes on the elliptical and then 10 more on the weights. Then I stretch for a few minutes. So nothing major at all, but I feel so much better.

I have also continued with the elliptical at home another 2 - 3 days each week for 30 minutes at a time.

Just hoping this would help someone since so many seem to be struggling with this.

Lisa

Woot! And it's good to be strong. I lost a hundred pounds some years ago. I started lifting about 5 years ago and it's the only way for me.

And it's fun to be able to pull ups :D