Menu

Can't seem to lose weight despite diet

I just don't know what's going on and thought someone might have an idea. I don't normally diet...I hate dieting, I'm terrible at it, and as a teen every time I "dieted" I ended up gaining weight due to feeling deprived and indulging. I don't like becoming over-focused on food, but now I just need to lose the 10 pounds I've gained the last 2 years or so because it is making me so uncomfortable and self-conscious.

I'm short. I was under 120lbs ever since I got married (Except pregnancies). I was 20lbs heavier in high school. I got back under 120 once last year easily, but it came right back.

So for 6 days I have only been eating about 1200 calories. I am hungry much of the time, and yet I've lost only 0.4 pounds!!! Now I know how to do calorie math, but usually the first 2 days of a diet results in 2 pounds of water weight coming off too. Not only did I get none of that, but I really think I should have lost a real 1.5lbs by now too. I just can't keep this up FOREVER. I'm hungry! :) And it is not mentally healthy for me to constantly fret over my food intake for the next year, which is what it's going to take at the rate I'm going!

Brownie

You didn't mention your height, but said you are "short" and want to weigh about 120 lbs. This means your caloric intake needs to be around 1500 calories per day just to maintain that weight. So to lose properly, in my opinion, one should eat about 100 calories a day less, or burn about that much more a day. This should have one losing about 1 lb every 2 to 6 weeks.

Losing weight faster than that can cause a relative ketosis which can ultimately signal starvation mode which produces more fat cells. This is one of the theories why yo-yo dieters keep gaining more and more over time. And, after all, the weight probably didn't come on that fast either, but rather gradually over time.

Hang in there. Keep tabs on your nutrients and portion sizes to avoid excess hunger. Each meal, using some of those calories in fat can help with satiety for sure.

Finally, strengthening the body's large muscle groups (i.e. quadraceps) can help burn more calories, especially as we get older.

:grouphug:

I could be WHAT you are eating more than the caloric intake that is keeping you hungry.

If you eat a huge plate 3/4 filled with raw or steamed vegetables and 1/4 filled with protein, equalling 300 calories, you will be much fuller than the 1/2 cup of pasta for the same calorie amount.

I am short too, I have more to lose than you do, so I am getting more drastic. I am going to be doing a very low carb diet as it seems to be the only way I can lose.

Dawn

we find the time of day we eat the calories matters, too. if we follow what we call "oprah's rule" of eating nothing after 7pm, it works way better. at different ages, different things have worked. right now, we have discovered that we can eat all the grains at breakfast that we want, but almost none after that. and as always, whole grains work way better than the other kind.

the current thing that is working best for me is 1200 calories a day, NOT counting veggies and fruit. i can eat all the veggies and fruit i want. not eating after 7pm, and eating grains only at breakfast. we have eliminated all diet sodas, which is what it took to get me going after i plateaued. and i need to not sit very much during the day. ie. if i sit for an hour, that's fine. if i sit for more than that, it isn't fine. regular exercise. it now works best in the morning, whereas for most of my life its worked best around 4pm.

and sleep. we have a regular sleep schedule and that has made all the difference.

i'm 5ft 2, and now 114 lbs. when we started i was 138. this is much better. i have stabilized at this, which i never thought possible.... it is what i weighed all thru high school. i reckon my body "recognizes" it. :lol:

the bad/good news is that it has taken a year.

stick to it; you can do it!!!

ann

I could be WHAT you are eating more than the caloric intake that is keeping you hungry. Dawn
:iagree:

I've been on an 1800 cal ada diet for the past 2 weeks. I lost 2lbs total. Not bad I suppose, but not what I wanted for the effort. I've worked very hard IMHO weighing and measuring every thing I've eaten. I lost those 2lbs the first week then nothing the 2nd. I'm hungry and not liking what I'm eating. In short, this is not a lifestyle of eating I'll be able to stick with. I've also changed up my workout routine.

I have an IRL gf, my age, who has just lost 11lbs in 6 weeks doing South Beach diet. She said she is not hungry and it is easier to follow than what I'm doing. She admitted it was a challenge the first 2 weeks, but became much easier after that and the weight is still coming off. After talking about what I'm eating, she thinks it is the type of food that is the problem. I'm eating carrots, whole milk, 6-9 starch exchanges (including corn) everyday. This week, I had 1/2 cup ice cream (exchanged a carb and fat portion so it fit into the daily calorie plan). The portions were fine, the calorie plan fine, but the results, IMHO, was not fine. I'm going to the library today and try the South Beach plan. She gave me some ideas what to eat for breakfast and lunch since the library doesn't open until 1 today.

I followed my diet plan for 2 weeks. After the first 3 days, I started to feel better. My headaches are gone, I'm sleeping much better, I have more "stable energy" (no mid afternoon slump). But, I want to also lose 10lbs.

I can't do no carbs - I get very dizzy. I tried it in High School. It's hard enough for me to diet because I seem to have blood sugar issues (always have) and if I get past the hunger point, I start to shake, my blood sugar plummets and then I CRAVE sugar and food for hours to get it back up and end up way overeating. And I've had my blood sugar tested - nothing weird ever turns up...I think I'm just very sensitive to the fluctuations up and down.

I am definitely focusing on the protein and fat to keep me full. I have an egg on a piece of whole wheat toast for breakfast at 10AM. I have cheese and crackers mid-afternoon. Usually I have some type of chicken or pork for dinner.

I have been walking, which I normally don't do. I was wondering if maybe losing the weight once last year is making it harder to lose this year. I do believe in my body recognizing a good weight and sticking there. I seemed to stick at 119 all through college and beyond with no effort regardless of what I ate day to day, despite ups and downs in habits. And that's not just because I'm lucky - I hist 139lbs by HS graduation. I just want to get back to 119! But that's another 9 pounds. I'd even be thrilled with 5 pounds but I need the motivation of making progress to keep me going.

And by the way, I am 38yrs old.

Brownie

I'm not sure of your age, but I definitely think it is more difficult to lose weight the older you get. For me, if I made a little bit of an effort the weight would come off. Now that I'm in my 40's, I need to make gargantuan effort to lose a little bit.

So true. Our metabolism slows down after 30 or so. After 40, it seems you lose about 8% of your muscle mass each decade so, if you're not actively building/maintaining muscle, you're losing it, which results in a lower resting metabolism.

I really dislike diets (not dieting, diets). I don't think they tend to change eating habits for the better long term and, quite frankly, there is no one size fits all way to eat. If a diet is radical enough to stress your body, you will hold onto weight, too; it's a defense mechanism.

Finally, I wouldn't look at the scale. That number only has a marginal relationship with your body composition, unless you're completely sedentary. Look to healthy and fit instead. Look to how your body feels and clothes fit.

As a point of reference, I am 5' even and weigh in at about 150 in top form. I wear about a 4-8 (ballpark, accounting for differences in cut, intended audience age, and the general psychosis that is women's clothing sizing). My body fat is under 20%.

Eta: I see that you've added new exercise. That's awesome. However, due to new stress on your muscles, you may be holding fluids from the repair process. That's fine and normal in the beginning, but another factor that will affect the scale and make you crazy. ;)

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Well - normal, healthy weight loss should be no more than about a pound a week, and that is going to vary a lot based on hormone levels. Remember - your weight probably varies a few pounds throughout the month to begin with....

I can't do the low-carb thing either - I get ill and actually start spotting. But - I can do only healthy carbs. Whole grains, nothing processed, beans, fruit. The whole grains - VERY LITTLE. In fact - I try to avoid grains as much as possible and get my carbs from elsewhere.

I preach this almost to irritation in these threads, but you MUST gain muscle mass. Especially as we grow older. By the time I hit about 34-ish - the only way I could lose and then maintain my weight was to make sure I did weight training. Without it - I could eat perfectly and go on the elliptical for hours killing myself and never lose a pound. You don't need weights or a gym. You can use soup cans, and there are those elastic band thingies at WalMart for like $7 that actually work really well.....

I'm assuming you're exercising? Dieting is useless without it. Walking is good as long as you're walking quickly and walking far, otherwise it's not really "exercise".

The older you get the harder is it to lose it. And...when you exercise more you put on muscle, which weighs more than fat. So I'd opt for how you look and feel, this includes muscle you've put on, and not what size you are.

Edited by alilac

I just don't know what's going on and thought someone might have an idea. I don't normally diet...I hate dieting, I'm terrible at it, and as a teen every time I "dieted" I ended up gaining weight due to feeling deprived and indulging. I don't like becoming over-focused on food, but now I just need to lose the 10 pounds I've gained the last 2 years or so because it is making me so uncomfortable and self-conscious.

I'm short. I was under 120lbs ever since I got married (Except pregnancies). I was 20lbs heavier in high school. I got back under 120 once last year easily, but it came right back.

So for 6 days I have only been eating about 1200 calories. I am hungry much of the time, and yet I've lost only 0.4 pounds!!! Now I know how to do calorie math, but usually the first 2 days of a diet results in 2 pounds of water weight coming off too. Not only did I get none of that, but I really think I should have lost a real 1.5lbs by now too. I just can't keep this up FOREVER. I'm hungry! :) And it is not mentally healthy for me to constantly fret over my food intake for the next year, which is what it's going to take at the rate I'm going!

Brownie

I don't think many women who have gone through the hormonal and body changes of giving birth can expect to have the same body weight and shape that they did in high school. Maybe you should reconsider your new idea of normal.

I can't do no carbs - I get very dizzy. I tried it in High School. It's hard enough for me to diet because I seem to have blood sugar issues (always have) and if I get past the hunger point, I start to shake, my blood sugar plummets and then I CRAVE sugar and food for hours to get it back up and end up way overeating. And I've had my blood sugar tested - nothing weird ever turns up...I think I'm just very sensitive to the fluctuations up and down.

I am definitely focusing on the protein and fat to keep me full. I have an egg on a piece of whole wheat toast for breakfast at 10AM. I have cheese and crackers mid-afternoon. Usually I have some type of chicken or pork for dinner.

I have been walking, which I normally don't do. I was wondering if maybe losing the weight once last year is making it harder to lose this year. I do believe in my body recognizing a good weight and sticking there. I seemed to stick at 119 all through college and beyond with no effort regardless of what I ate day to day, despite ups and downs in habits. And that's not just because I'm lucky - I hist 139lbs by HS graduation. I just want to get back to 119! But that's another 9 pounds. I'd even be thrilled with 5 pounds but I need the motivation of making progress to keep me going.

Brownie

I'm not an expert by any means but cutting grains does NOT mean cutting carbs. Vegetables and fruits have them. Legumes have them as well. Also your diet plan would leave me starving. Eat a few eggs and a few slices of bacon for breakfast. Have a nice big salad at lunch, throw on some chicken for protein. At dinner, have whatever main dish y'all are eating and on the side do some more vegetables. Snack on fruit throughout the day. Don't go crazy with food, eat slow, think about whether or not you are full. Oh and fat, make your eggs in the bacon grease...Use real butter...No low fat substitutes...Keep an eye on calories, obviously, so you don't go wild, but EAT. Your body is hungry.

Now this might *not* work for you but...it's gotta be better than practically starving yourself. Walk for excerise if that is what you want to do. If you have other things you like to do to move, do them. Also, I agree with you said...Lemme find it....

I don't think many women who have gone through the hormonal and body changes of giving birth can expect to have the same body weight and shape that they did in high school. Maybe you should reconsider your new idea of normal.

:iagree:

Some people can get to the weight that they used to be in high school but the majority can't. I'd kill myself if I tried to get to my high school weight. Throw out your scale (or tuck it very quietly in the corner of a closet, only looking at it once a week). Judge based on how you feel, not what the scale says. :)

Scales are stupid. I have about 7 or 8 pounds I want to lose to get back to as small as I am used to. I say 7 or 8 but it could be only 5. I don't know because I don't weigh myself.

I lift weights so I weigh in totally different. I wear a size 0/2 at about 130 or just under. I am 5'3.

Having less than 10 pounds to lose makes it hard. I have to go major LCHF and move a lot. And also not eating past dinner. I am so bad about night snacking.

So true. Our metabolism slows down after 30 or so. After 40, it seems you lose about 8% of your muscle mass each decade so, if you're not actively building/maintaining muscle, you're losing it, which results in a lower resting metabolism.

I really dislike diets (not dieting, diets). I don't think they tend to change eating habits for the better long term and, quite frankly, there is no one size fits all way to eat. If a diet is radical enough to stress your body, you will hold onto weight, too; it's a defense mechanism.

Finally, I wouldn't look at the scale. That number only has a marginal relationship with your body composition, unless you're completely sedentary. Look to healthy and fit instead. Look to how your body feels and clothes fit.

As a point of reference, I am 5' even and weigh in at about 150 in top form. I wear about a 4-8 (ballpark, accounting for differences in cut, intended audience age, and the general psychosis that is women's clothing sizing). My body fat is under 20%.

Eta: I see that you've added new exercise. That's awesome. However, due to new stress on your muscles, you may be holding fluids from the repair process. That's fine and normal in the beginning, but another factor that will affect the scale and make you crazy. ;)

And everything she said. And what is interesting is I started lifting weights 5.5 years ago. Before that I always weighed about 115 (pre babies) and was a walking eating disorder. Fast forward to marriage and pregnancies and I was over 200lbs. Then I got serious, lost weight and got into weight lifting and I weigh more and look better than when I was in college. I mean unless you like the anorexic on purpose look.

All of this points to insulin resistance. It would be a very good reason to eat low-carb, not avoid low-carb.

Anyone in your family with PCOS, hypoglycemia, or typeII diabetes?

If you can get past the first 4 days on low-carb you should feel good. You won't have your blood sugar spiking and then crashing.

You said you tried low-carb in high school, that was 20 years ago......

I just need to lose the 10 pounds I've gained the last 2 years or so because it is making me so uncomfortable and self-conscious.

So for 6 days I have only been eating about 1200 calories.

You have 10 pounds or less to lose.

You've only given it 6 days.

It takes a LOT of work to lose weight when you are at a slim weight to begin with; your body works towards homeostasis.

And weight loss should never be evaluated as successful or not for a 6 day run.

OK yes I do expect to get back to my 15 year old weight. That is because it was a healthy weight! After that, I was overweight with eating issues through high school. But when I left for college, I lost the weight and I held that weight from 19 years old until 37 years old except for pregnancies in the middle with NO diets EVER. So I don't see why I shouldn't be able to get back to that weight. My body wants to be there. I don't expect to fit back in my wedding dress! Just be the same weight.

It's not skinny - I never have been skinny. I'm quite hourglass shaped so at 5'2" it takes a lot to look skinny. But it's only 8-10 lbs away which isn't much comparatively speaking. Last December I lost the weight in 30 days and it really wasn't that hard...I was in the mood I guess and I wasn't feeling very hungry at the time so I jumped on that feeling to lose the weight! I'm frustrated right now that I feel like I'm working just as hard and seeing no improvement...the kick I need to stay motivated!

My goodness, if I ate a few eggs and bacon for breakfast I would gain weight! Holy moley! You did read that I'm eating 1200 calories a day? This is down from the 2000 I figure caused the weight gain in the 1st place. I think 1800 is maintenance for me.

Yes I do need to start weight training again - you all know how hard it is to teach 3 kids full time and get any free time, but I will try. I like weight training.

Can the person who mentioned insulin resistance please clarify about the carbs? Are you saying I should do low carbs but not no carbs? No real issues in the family except diabetes in old age in my 2 grandparents. But high sugar makes me feel immediately woozy and groggy. I crave sugar horribly but once I stop eating it, the crave goes away (like it has this week from dieting).

Thanks! Brownie (huh go figure. I just realized I'm calling myself a sugary treat!)

This can happen when you suddenly reduce your carb intake. It's called the "low carb flu." If you slowly reduce carbs, you'll feel much better and your body will adjust to having a lower blood sugar.

OK yes I do expect to get back to my 15 year old weight. That is because it was a healthy weight! After that, I was overweight with eating issues through high school. But when I left for college, I lost the weight and I held that weight from 19 years old until 37 years old except for pregnancies in the middle with NO diets EVER. So I don't see why I shouldn't be able to get back to that weight. My body wants to be there. I don't expect to fit back in my wedding dress! Just be the same weight.

It's not skinny - I never have been skinny. I'm quite hourglass shaped so at 5'2" it takes a lot to look skinny. But it's only 8-10 lbs away which isn't much comparatively speaking. Last December I lost the weight in 30 days and it really wasn't that hard...I was in the mood I guess and I wasn't feeling very hungry at the time so I jumped on that feeling to lose the weight! I'm frustrated right now that I feel like I'm working just as hard and seeing no improvement...the kick I need to stay motivated!

My goodness, if I ate a few eggs and bacon for breakfast I would gain weight! Holy moley! You did read that I'm eating 1200 calories a day? This is down from the 2000 I figure caused the weight gain in the 1st place. I think 1800 is maintenance for me.

Yes I do need to start weight training again - you all know how hard it is to teach 3 kids full time and get any free time, but I will try. I like weight training.

Can the person who mentioned insulin resistance please clarify about the carbs? Are you saying I should do low carbs but not no carbs? No real issues in the family except diabetes in old age in my 2 grandparents. But high sugar makes me feel immediately woozy and groggy. I crave sugar horribly but once I stop eating it, the crave goes away (like it has this week from dieting).

Thanks! Brownie (huh go figure. I just realized I'm calling myself a sugary treat!)

I have the same shape, short and hour glass. Hmmmm, I exercise all the time and if you are going to start, 1200 isn't going to cut it for you. It is just not enough.

Although calorie counting is important, it also matters where those calories come from. Plus, it seems to me that our nutritional needs change as we age and also as we change activities. I used to be able to eat rice but I have to avoid it now because it doesn't help me toward my goals. It doesn't kill me and it will do in a pinch but it is not an ideal food for the look I am trying to go for. And when I want to have a good long run? I need to eat corn tortillas.

Well, there really is no such thing as a no-carb diet. Almost all foods have a certain amount of carbs, for example a large egg has just under 1g of carbs.

You would need to do some research and pick what level of carbs you want to eat. Some people eat under 100g/day and do well (especially if they cut out all grains, at this level you might need to count calories too).

Atkins starts people out at 20g/day or less for the two week induction phase.

I need to keep my carbs between 30-40g/day to lose weight (if I don't want to count calories). If I eat more than about 50 g/day my cravings come back.

You could do like a pp suggested and gradually decrease the amount of carbs you eat. *I* like to go cold turkey because I know the cravings will be gone in a couple days if I do.

Some things to help the first few days:

-eat frequently

-eat a lot of healthy fat

-if you feel sick, drink a cup of chicken broth

It's not skinny - I never have been skinny. I'm quite hourglass shaped so at 5'2" it takes a lot to look skinny. But it's only 8-10 lbs away which isn't much comparatively speaking. !)

You are nearly 40, and multipara. You are within 15 pounds of your goal weight. You *asked* for feedback, but have argued every level.

Your expectations with your history and age and amount to lose are off.

I wish you well.

Brownie

We are LC-ers. :) Women *need* at least 40g protein/day. That is just to get out of bed in the morning. If you are active, 60-80g will work. While in theory I am a "natural and raw" kind of cook, with my short stature, I can't *eat* that much, so I drink protein drinks. They are relatively low calorie, so I can have 2-3 drinks a day. 2 in place of a meal, one healthy lean meal, and one more shake for a snack sometimes. In comparison, one egg is about 7g protein.

For my body, having more protein helps curb my hunger, keeps my hair and nails healthy, and helps me from losing muscle mass that comes with aging.

FWIW, Coscto and Sam's sell Premiere rtd protein drinks that are about $1.50 each. 30g protein, under 200 caories...not too bad. :)

This has been working for my body. I can't eat grains at all and keep a healthy weight.

Brownie

I've been struggling to maintain my weight for the last year and would like to lose 5 - 8 pounds. I eat very similarly to you. Egg on toast for breakfast, protein with some grains for lunch and recently I've started just having about 3 oz. of meat and veggies for dinner (no grains).

This last week, I began going to the gym and lifting weights and I am actually dropping weight. We will see if this continues, but I think this is the key for me. I had done Curves for a number of years, which doesn't involve weights but has resistance machines which do build muscle. Once they closed, I started having problems again.

It's only been a week, but everything I read online says women start losing muscle mass and then their metabolism slows down. Also, I read that lifting weights secretes a hormone that helps with weight loss as well. I've got my fingers crossed that this is going to work for me.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

Well - normal, healthy weight loss should be no more than about a pound a week, and that is going to vary a lot based on hormone levels. Remember - your weight probably varies a few pounds throughout the month to begin with....

I can't do the low-carb thing either - I get ill and actually start spotting. But - I can do only healthy carbs. Whole grains, nothing processed, beans, fruit. The whole grains - VERY LITTLE. In fact - I try to avoid grains as much as possible and get my carbs from elsewhere.

I preach this almost to irritation in these threads, but you MUST gain muscle mass. Especially as we grow older. By the time I hit about 34-ish - the only way I could lose and then maintain my weight was to make sure I did weight training. Without it - I could eat perfectly and go on the elliptical for hours killing myself and never lose a pound. You don't need weights or a gym. You can use soup cans, and there are those elastic band thingies at WalMart for like $7 that actually work really well.....

:iagree: I have an elliptical at home and use it 3 - 4 times a week and it has not helped with weight loss at all. I think weight training is key.

Lisa

I've been struggling to maintain my weight for the last year and would like to lose 5 - 8 pounds. I eat very similarly to you. Egg on toast for breakfast, protein with some grains for lunch and recently I've started just have about 3 oz. of meat and veggies for dinner (no grains).

This last week, I began going to the gym and lifting weights and I am actually dropping weight. We will see if this continues, but I think this is the key for me. I had done Curves for a number of years, which doesn't involve weights but has resistance machines which do build muscle. Once they closed, I started having problems again.

It's only been a week, but everything I read online says women start losing muscle mass and then their metabolism slows down. Also, I read that lifting weights secretes a hormone that helps with weight loss as well. I've got my fingers crossed that this is going to work for me.

Lisa

Lifting weights does it for me.

Muscle takes more calories to sustain than fat. So if you build 5 pounds worth of muscle your body needs the calories just to sustain that.

I still need to lose 5 pounds though but I have been lazy about it

Here is what I have done in regards to my weight loss. I am 5'7 started out at 180 pounds. I want to lose 30 pounds. Started around the middle of May and right now I have lost 17 lbs and hope to have the rest of the weight off by the holidays. To have true weight loss you have got to go slow. I have halfed my Mt. Dew (my addiction) consumption for 6-8 12 oz cans to 3-4 12 oz cans a day. I have upped my water intake. I eat crackers and hummus for breakfast. More crackers and string cheese sticks. For lunch, I have a Smart Ones dinner and then eat what I want for dinner. I can tell my stomach has shrunk.

Also, I have started exercising. I rotate between pilates and Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. I haven't been 100% with the exercising but oh man, Jillian will rock you. She has weights in her program and for the first time in my life I see the shadow of a muscle in my arms. :)

It takes time and you will never ever be the weight or shape you were when you were in high school. I know I don't want to be. I was 5'7 100 lbs soaking wet. I think 150 pounds for 5'7 will be good for me. The best I ever felt was around 140 pounds but if and when I get to 150 I will decide then whether or not to drop down to 140.

Please realize this is a marathon and not a race. Also, I take a daily vitamin and 5000 mcg of vitamin B12.

I had my thyroid checked. I was sure that would be positive because I am needing more sleep, etc... but it was negative. Had my hormones checked as far as menopause a couple of years back but they told me they need a second reading to compare to. Anyhow the dr's all just laugh bc I am only 38. They laughed at my mom too though - she was full-blown menopause at 40. I mention that and they still laugh at me :001_huh:

I have definitely figured out the protein and fat thing on my own. I took to eating straight sour cream last year! Just a big spoonful could really fill me up and the good stuff was quite a treat for me. So I do focus on protein and never buy low fat cheese, etc...

I will definitely get back to lifting some weights. I've always had alot of muscle (despite not working out). Maybe that's why I was able to maintain my weight easily. Since I don't take the time to workout and I'm getting older, maybe that is part of the problem.

I'm sure my regular diet is too high in sugar and complex carbs. But I also don't believe Atkins is healthy. I think I'm doing pretty well at being reasonable now that I am dieting but I'll try to avoid those quick pasta dinners when we're on the run and make sure I have some kind of protein, even when the boys don't.

Have you done any research on this?

There is a ton of research on these fad diets and whether they really work- Atkins, Full Bar, Sensa, etc. ETA: There ARE people who have done them and they work (with the combo of diet and exercise + the diet plan) then there are those that it didnt do anything except drain their wallets.

What do your bodies look like?!?!?! I am 5'2", weigh about 135, and am in a size 4, sometimes a 6. I think I am just built like a cheerleader ( all bulky muscle).

Op, I am a pro at weight loss. Keeping it off is a different matter:glare:. For my muscular build, I need to go low carb and do weights. It is so much easier for me to maintain if I only have whole wheat and restrict my carbs. I also NEED to work out constantly, alternating cardio and weights. I rarely weight myself, relying more on my jeans to tell me the truth. BMI would tell me I was overweight when I am in a size 4. I have learned to weight myself every 2 weeks just to make sure I am on target. Even though BMI tells me I am fat, I feel so good, healthy, and hot around 135. So, shoot your scale. Base your health more on how you feel.

IMHO, I think you are not eating enough! You might want to check out the Fat to Fit website/blog/podcast etc. Those guys really talk sense. I have been listening to them for a few months now and their biggest issue is that your body will FIGHT losing weight if it thinks it is starving. Your body's job is to keep you alive. If you are constantly eating a starvation level diet, your body will hold on to every calorie and ounce of fat in order to prevent starvation. They often advice people to eat more, much more, for a few weeks, just to let your body relax and get your metabolism on track. Then, SLOWLY, you can slightly reduce calories and increase exercise. They would never recommend more than a 1/2 lb to a lb a week weight loss because it would not be permanent weight loss at that point. Permanent weight loss is slow weight loss. I 5'2" and I eat about 1800-2000 calories. I also run about 3.5K 5 days a week, work out with weights, bike ride. I have lost 6 lbs in the last 3 months. It has been slow, it is not really visible yet to other people, but I know it is happening and I hope I am doing it the right way!

GOOD LUCK!

There is a ton of research on these fad diets and whether they really work- Atkins, Full Bar, Sensa, etc. ETA: There ARE people who have done them and they work (with the combo of diet and exercise + the diet plan) then there are those that it didnt do anything except drain their wallets.

Have you read the book(s)?

There is no wallet drain on Atkins, the book recommends eating real, whole, fresh foods purchased and prepared by the indivdual.

I'm going to take that as a no.

Eating LC is not a fad diet.

The Atkins diet has been around for nearly 40 years, that would be a pretty long fad.

If one is interested in researching, I would suggest starting with Gary Taube, "Why We Get Fat".

Cut back on the carbs. Eat more fats. I pour oil over my food since going low-carb and can't keep the weight on. Unless you've got insulin resistance (then get a doc to put you on Metformin), you'll lose weight.

I follow Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution" - about 30 g carb a day - mostly (non-starchy) vegetables - no grain, no fruit except avocados. No restriction on bacon, cheese, butter, even (gasp) pork rinds. Cholesterol at 162, blood pressure under 100/70 always (except when exercising), loads of energy, no mid-afternoon lull or after-meal sleepiness. Haven't been sick since starting the diet - no headaches, no pains, no aches. Everybody says I'm so thin but I don't dread clothes shopping now - everything looks fantastic on. I do miss my fruit though especially when my mango tree was in season.

Edited by Sandra in FL

Yes I've researched Atkins long ago and I won't do it now because dwelling on dieting by reading books is not mentally healthy for me. I have/had food issues and too much focus on food will send me back there. But I just don't believe it's healthy and I have a background in biochemical engineering so I just won't go there. I considered it...I'm anxious to lose the weight...but I won't do it to my body.

Wow - 139 and a size 4. That won't work for me - everyone's "density" is different". See I am 5'2", very muscular naturally, and I need to be 119 to get into a 4. And that was true even when I was lifting hours each week. In fact, when I was in HS and lifting extensively, I couldn't zip into any dress smaller than a 12 at 135lbs because my shoulders got so broad. I bulk up EASILY.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I had to update here. I had posted earlier in this thread that I had just started lifting weights and was already starting to drop weight. This is after almost a year of trying to lose weight, diligently eating 1200 calories and exercising on my elliptical on a regular basis. I have now lost 5 pounds! I only want to lose 2 or 3 more. AND, if I do eat a little extra at a family get together or something, I no longer gain 3 pounds overnight. No more wild weight fluctuations.

I've also stopped having back pain and I am sleeping solidly through the night.

I am only lifting weights 2X/week for about 30 minutes. I do a 5 min warm-up on the elliptical, lift weights for 10 minutes, do another 5 minutes on the elliptical and then 10 more on the weights. Then I stretch for a few minutes. So nothing major at all, but I feel so much better.

I have also continued with the elliptical at home another 2 - 3 days each week for 30 minutes at a time.

Just hoping this would help someone since so many seem to be struggling with this.

Lisa