Menu

Favorite Chemistry text for High School (Humanities Major)

I'm trying to find a chemistry textbook that will work for my dd for high school. We'll be taking an integrated approach to science. I'd love some suggestions.

Here is what I'd like to find:

text with a humanities major in mind (she struggles in math)

must have a teacher key available to me and this should be easy to buy/have

not Apologia (just not for us)

very affordable

option for a chemistry lab kit (kit with everything needed would be great)

solid chemistry book (not too light, in case she changes her mind about math and science later...:D)

I've long thought we would use Prentice Hall's Chemistry...we'll be using Miller/Levine for Biology most likely, but the reviews were not favorable for their chemistry book...and I don't see it mentioned a lot here either. Is this a good book? If not, would anyone please share with me why it isn't.

Thank You!

<<<I've long thought we would use Prentice Hall's Chemistry...we'll be using Miller/Levine for Biology most likely, but the reviews were not favorable for their chemistry book...and I don't see it mentioned a lot here either. Is this a good book? If not, would anyone please share with me why it isn't.>>>

My ds took Honors Chem through Chemadvantage (no longer offered), so I had to find another choice for my dd.

dd will study Chem for two years and for this first year we chose Prentice Hall Chemistry because that's what our local public school uses and after talking to the chem teacher I was convinced that was a fine choice.

Also purchased the workbook and teacher's manual that beautifully parallel the text, chapter by chapter, section by section. Didn't spend much, got the text from Paperback Swap.

She just completed chapter 5 and we are very disappointed in how poorly electron configuration was covered. Just a couple pages, very surface level, no details. Chapter 6, Periodic Table, looks the same way.

Dd is studying to eventually take the NYS Regents exam in chemistry, pretty easy test, but the colleges like to see it for anyone pursuing health sciences.

I am supplementing with curriculum and worksheets for the entire year supplied by two different NYS public school teachers. We have found the Prentice Hall text (so far) does not cover the subject matter well at all. Dd couldn't answer half the questions on the worksheets for electron configuration, although she had completed the Prentice Hall workbook easily for the same chapter. The periodic table chapter looks like the same story.

We will have to do a lot more supplementing if we continue with this book. But we do have great resources to pull from, plus her brother is again w/ Mr. Moskaluk this year, so we aren't worried about it.

But no, IMHO, I wouldn't chose this text no matter what level your student is at. Doesn't do a good job. (But after Mr. Moskaluk, everything pales in comparison icon7.gif)

Tro's Introductory Chemistry is great, but it has pretty heavy math. I wouldn't use it with anybody who isn't very very comfortable with Algebra.

I have Prentice Hall Chemistry and I'm not impressed.

For a lighter-math chemistry, I would decide between World of Chemistry (Zumdahl) and Conceptual Chemistry (Suchocki).

I will be making this decision for my youngest next year. She is not going to be to a point where she can handle Tro's next year, but I want her to do chemistry, so I'll have to figure out whether or not she can handle World of Chemistry.

After chemistry, I'll have to figure out which biology program to use with her. I definitely won't do Miller&Levine. I tried that one with my oldest and hated it (I love math-based sciences, not squishy). I used Holt Biology with my middle dd and it was okay, so that's probably what I'll use.

I think there's some tension in your requirements between "humanities major in mind" and "solid in case she changes her mind."

I think Friendly Chemistry is good for the former, but "solid" implies lots of math and more challenging labs and problem sets. FC has no lab kit, but there is a manipulative kit for learning things like electron configurations and there are kitchen-chemistry labs involving grocery store supplies in the text. It would be a good foundation for a more rigorous course if she did change her mind.

You might want to see if that will meet your needs.

--Janet

This is very helpful! Thank you.

Thanks to nynyny and Angie for your comments about Prentice Hall Chemistry...I had read some negative reviews and I think I'll stay away from that text (although I had liked the ease of being able to order it with a teacher key from Kolbe :D). I think its very important to use a text that is clear and consistent in its approach, especially with a dd who doesn't enjoy this as it is.

I know my list of wants was about confusing...

I was hoping to make it easier for suggestions. Since she isn't a STEM or medicine major, I knew we could eliminate some of the more difficult chemistry books. I do, however, want her to learn it as well as she can, and so, was hoping to eliminate suggestions that are too light.

I have Conceptual Chemistry, but had picked it up more for the idea of using it as a pre-chemistry and then having her use another text for Chemistry I credit. This is the exact area I think I struggle the most with regard to putting together her science plan for high school. I wish I could resolve this in my heart and mind. I want her to learn as much as she can and as well as she can in math and science, but I also don't want to overwhelm her. I'm trying to walk the fine line between giving her an education that is meaningful to her and satisfying prospective colleges looking at her transcripts.

I'm already feeling like I'm taking a bit of a risk by giving her the integrated science she would like. :lol: My plan is label her transcripts by subject. This way I can group all of her work under typical headings like Chemistry, Biology, etc. I wanted to be sure and use solid textbooks to satisfy those who would be looking at her transcripts. I'm concerned about the choices I make with regard to these texts, because I don't want her transcripts to be taken too lightly. (She is not a great test-taker...I'm hoping and will be preparing her for the big tests...but I want her transcript in good shape too...just in case her scores are not as high as we would like.) She will most likely do well with a good liberal arts school. We're not sure where we'll be living in the states as we get closer to her graduation, so its hard to look seriously at specific colleges.

I was looking at Tro's Introductory Chemistry, but she will have just finished Algebra I when we were going to get it started. I'm concerned it may be too much for her. I'll take a look at World of Chemistry. I may also reconsider the Miller and Levine book for Biology. Again, I liked how easy it would be to order it from Kolbe and receive a teacher key with it. :D I really need to use a text with a teacher key for chemistry. Since I feel stronger in Biology, I think this is the one text in science that I could use without a key.

I'll take a look at Friendly Chemistry too.

You ladies are the best! I'm not sure I could do this without you.:grouphug:

I'll throw out some of the options I'm considering.

CK12 Chem (free, answer key available upon request) along with chem kit and manual from the Home Scientist.

Another freebie is the "Science Objects" from NSTA. They are units that are:

"Science Objects are two hour, on-line interactive inquiry-based content modules that help teachers better understand the science content they teach."

I started working through one of the physics ones today, and will probably have ds watch them.

Conceptual Chemistry does have good support on the website.

I plan on doing our transcript by subject as well. My biggest concern is not the text, but making sure we do enough labs and cover them well.

I'll throw out some of the options I'm considering.

CK12 Chem (free, answer key available upon request) along with chem kit and manual from the Home Scientist.

Another freebie is the "Science Objects" from NSTA. They are units that are:

"Science Objects are two hour, on-line interactive inquiry-based content modules that help teachers better understand the science content they teach."

I started working through one of the physics ones today, and will probably have ds watch them.

Conceptual Chemistry does have good support on the website.

I plan on doing our transcript by subject as well. My biggest concern is not the text, but making sure we do enough labs and cover them well.

:001_wub: I love you. I didn't realize Home Scientist sold lab kits (and to Canada!!!). I was looking at the CK12 texts but completely lost with labs. I think two years of high school science are now solved.:D

:001_wub: I love you. I didn't realize Home Scientist sold lab kits (and to Canada!!!). I was looking at the CK12 texts but completely lost with labs. I think two years of high school science are now solved.:D

Yes, and you can download the lab manual for free too.

Thank you, Mr. HomeScientist. :D

I'm so glad you posted this question. I have the same concerns as far as finding a chemistry for my dd (9th grade this year). Her interests.... animals, health, and outdoor activities would have her following a science major of some kind, but she tends to struggle in this area. For this reason, I think she'll end up with a major other than science. I also need to find a chemistry that she can manage and will look fine on her transcript.

Since I'm researching as well and don't have experience with it, I'm not making any recommendations, but Spectrum chemistry might also fit what you're looking for. I'm not sure if it meets your requirements, but Spectrum is another popular chemistry on the board. Its text might be lacking compared to the others mentioned so far, but it is known to have a good lab. I've heard of it being paired with Plato Chemistry as well if that is something that would work for you.

I was reading chemistry posts last night. This is just a sample of what I read. Maybe these links will help:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=296217&highlight=chemistry

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=290192&highlight=chemistry

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=260819&highlight=chemistry

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama