Menu

crate size for border collie?

Personally, I wouldn't crate a border collie, because I don't think their personalities are well-suited to crates. They are very easy to train, so if it's at all possible, I hope you will try to avoid the crate, or at least keep the crate in your bedroom at night so the dog can be near you.

Is there a specific reason why you will need to crate the puppy?

We had a Border Collie when I was a kid. I still miss her.

I wouldn't recommend a crate. Most border collies are very intelligent and high-energy dogs and when they feel bored or trapped they get naughty.

Ours, when we left her alone as a puppy once, ate/squeezed through the crate bars, ate her bedding, jumped 5 feet over a barrier, and pooped all over the play room. Suffice to say that after that we built her a run across the basement to play in!

I would crate train any breed of dog for the dog's safety. There may well be times when you need to leave the dog before he is able to be left alone uncrated, and especially while still a puppy, a crate can keep him out of trouble and safe. Susan Garrett is internationally known for agility with border collies and she even has a dvd called "Crate Games." Crating border collies is just fine if they are trained to it and otherwise get the exercise needed daily.

I have my standard poodle in an intermediate crate which is a great fit and he is only a bit taller than most border collies.

I think crate size depends on how large the dog will be when fully grown. I've had two Boarder Collies, one crated one not. If trained to a crate, the dog will go into the crate if people are coming over that don't like dogs, a safe place for the dog with crate door open, ease of getting dog to and from the vet.

I would crate train any breed of dog for the dog's safety. There may well be times when you need to leave the dog before he is able to be left alone uncrated, and especially while still a puppy, a crate can keep him out of trouble and safe. Susan Garrett is internationally known for agility with border collies and she even has a dvd called "Crate Games." Crating border collies is just fine if they are trained to it and otherwise get the exercise needed daily.

I have my standard poodle in an intermediate crate which is a great fit and he is only a bit taller than most border collies.

:iagree:

We crate train ALL of our dogs, regardless of breed.

We have an Australian Shepherd currently, which is a similar size, and our crate is 48lx30hx32w. She fits in it perfectly. :) We had another AS previously, and neither of them were a problem in the crate.

• 2 years later...
Guest trouble

i disagree with most of you.  i have had border collies and crate trained them during the day.  at night we are actively playing and they are the most well behaved dogs.  i say kennel and they go into the cage with no issues.  when i let them out,  they go directly to the back door to go outside.  i sit outside with them and give them attention let them run around and play with each other and then walk them and play with them.  they NEVER chew on anything but the many toys they have.  we have their kennel in near the living room with the door open and one lays in it when they are ready for bed.  i do have one that is mellow and the other who is extremely hyper, but he never has toilet in the house, nor destroyed anything.  i give him a lot of attention and things to do in the evening to prevent any issues.