Menu

NOEO Science or REAL Science Odyssey

nwlivingmom

I need some help deciding what to do for a co-op that we have. We have a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th grade girls. We get together for our co-op once a week, but would be willing to do more on our own throughout the week. We are currently using Apologia Botany and I think it's a bit over everyone's head (except for the 6th grader who is enjoying it). We feel that the Apologia experiments are a little too involved and time consuming. We feel that the text is dry and boring and all of the girls have glazed over looks within 5 minutes (again, except for the 6th grader). My friend and I realize that we need to change curriculums to make science easier to teach and much more hands on. I have researched science curriculums and am leaning towards NOEO or REAL Science Odyssey. My questions are: have you used either of these? What do you like or dislike about them? Would they work well with those ages in a co-op setting? Do they make science simpler and funner and more hands-on that Apologia? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

PS- if there is another curriculum that you adore, please share.

I have used both. I like Noeo, it's what I am using this year at home, but I think RSO lends itself better in a coop setting. More hands on. Plus, you can do the Try Before You Buy option and print out the first 10-12 chapters at home. That at least gives you the opportunity to implement it, see how it goes and then make a decision.

Plus, you can do the Try Before You Buy option and print out the first 10-12 chapters at home. That at least gives you the opportunity to implement it, see how it goes and then make a decision.

I really like this long trial period. Pandia Press gets my respect for this. I'm trying out their History Odyssey Early Modern starting next week.

I have used both. I like Noeo, it's what I am using this year at home, but I think RSO lends itself better in a coop setting. More hands on. Plus, you can do the Try Before You Buy option and print out the first 10-12 chapters at home. That at least gives you the opportunity to implement it, see how it goes and then make a decision.

Thank you for this info! I was thinking about doing NOEO, but I will try out RSO.